Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Vs 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think the main one is the lowered expectations coming in. I've said it before but it makes footy so much more enjoyable for me when less is expected and the team surprise us. Going into a season as premiership favourites is horrible. Every game that we don't play very good football , regardless of the result, is frustrating. I've loved this year so far, although expectation is building outside our club, we all know we are a side regenerating to an extent. We are in a good Position, but I don't expect us to win a flag this year, and if we do it will be an amazing bonus, rather than the only acceptable result.
    I actually had pretty high hopes going into this year. I don't think any of us really know just how much impact the ugly goings on of last year affected the team, and the late season injuries and illnesses only made things worse. We're back to playing with a bit of joie de vivre and it's making the world of difference. Having said that, we've generally done ok with injuries so far this year. Any team is a couple of bad ones away from a shift in expectations.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    That's the difference for me too. I was looking over stats, when were we last 9/2 at half way - oh look, just last year - and it didn't tally with my perception of last season. For me, it began tainted with the 2014 GF experience and ended with the bad, ugly events (Goodes, Walsh) which have been much discussed already, plus the general sense of a dull and low-quality season overall.

This year has been great so far, let's hope the back half brings more of the same.
    I think that sums up the Hawthorn three peat era. They are a very dull boring side. With the occasional bit of flair thrown in from Cyril and now Puopolo. The rest of the side is to football what an anorak is to fashion. With Buddys departure at the end of 2013 they are bereft of flair, and their football reflects that.

Unlike the Brisbane era of dominance, they were a great team and an exciting team to watch. Geelong the same from 07-11.

Hawthorn = Boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    That's the difference for me too. I was looking over stats, when were we last 9/2 at half way - oh look, just last year - and it didn't tally with my perception of last season. For me, it began tainted with the 2014 GF experience and ended with the bad, ugly events (Goodes, Walsh) which have been much discussed already, plus the general sense of a dull and low-quality season overall.

This year has been great so far, let's hope the back half brings more of the same.
    I think that sums up the Hawthorn three peat era. They are a very dull boring side. With the occasional bit of flair thrown in from Cyril and now Puopolo. The rest of the side is to football what an anorak is to fashion. With Buddys departure at the end of 2013 they are bereft of flair, and their football reflects that.

Unlike the Brisbane era of dominance, they were a great team and an exciting team to watch. Geelong the same from 07-11.

Hawthorn = Boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Really? you were 8 when we made a Grand Final (1996) and we've missed one finals series since then. Unless you have exceptional memory recall you are being a bit over-dramatic. As a four year old those tough times must have had a clearly profound effect on your impressionable young mind....

Next you'll be reminiscing about when you watched us play in front of 3,000 people at the SCG on the 90s (we never got that low) and had a whole bay at the SCG to yourself
    Hm, we missed 3 finals since 1996: 2000, 2002 and 2009. I still think it's a fantastic achievement for our club.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I actually had pretty high hopes going into this year. I don't think any of us really know just how much impact the ugly goings on of last year affected the team, and the late season injuries and illnesses only made things worse. We're back to playing with a bit of joie de vivre and it's making the world of difference. Having said that, we've generally done ok with injuries so far this year. Any team is a couple of bad ones away from a shift in expectations.
    You sure that stuff's not on the banned list?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    You sure that stuff's not on the banned list?
    Only in North Korea.

I spent most of 2015 recovering from that "day that must not be mentioned". I am enjoying this season however, especially the kids.

What was our percentage last year? I think a couple of uncharacteristic big wins early on helped set the tone.

Also, I feel like this year is the first time in years that we've demonstrated that we have a plan to beat the Hawks. Our recent victories have felt very much like flukes that relied on them having key outs. This year is different and it gives me hope.

I am still not overconfident about this year though. The kids will find it tough in finals and a few injuries could weaken us drastically.

Still, so far so good and the future does look bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    What was our percentage last year? I think a couple of uncharacteristic big wins early on helped set the tone.

Also, I feel like this year is the first time in years that we've demonstrated that we have a plan to beat the Hawks. Our recent victories have felt very much like flukes that relied on them having key outs. This year is different and it gives me hope.

I am still not overconfident about this year though. The kids will find it tough in finals and a few injuries could weaken us drastically.

Still, so far so good and the future does look bright.
    Our percentage was 138.4, which is lower than this year. WC (3rd on the ladder) and Hawthorn (6th) had the highest percentage: over 155. As we know those two teams played in GF later that year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    If my quick calculations are right, it's a little more this year than the same point last year: 146.47 versus 138.39. We did start with a couple of big margins.

Mean margin this year is 32.27 points, versus 25.09 for first 11 rounds last year.

Senior Player
    For mine, a major influence on the game style has been the exit of Jetta. We would often try to play through him as a playmaker, and required him to put the jets on, but he would often double back and slow the progression up. He became a very lateral player in the last two seasons with the Swans. Lloyd has directly taken his role, and he is playing more run and gun.

Two other things:
    - We seem to have really worked on our "handles". We don't need a lace out handball these days, it can be to the toes, but Kennedy (unbelievable in this facet), Mitchell, Parker, and Hannebery seem to be able to snatch it one grab. So instead of giving the opposition the opportunity to close us down, where other teams have a little fumble, the play flows on.
    - Breaking tackles to break the lines: that is, we seem to be able to shake off the first tackler a lot more than other teams, and it instantly creates an overlap. With quick ball movement by hand, it creates a free runner, and the forwards have been given excellent service this year as a result of the initial wiggle of the hips.

And thirdly, long down the line is no longer the go-to play.. #thankful
    C'mon Chels!

Veterans List
    The differences; less injuries, improvement of less experienced players and young players who have been able to slot straight in.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Biggest difference is expectations for mine, followed by not dealing with the booing every week.

Still not expecting us to really challenge at the pointy end, but we've done well so far.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast