Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Vs 2016

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    For mine, a major influence on the game style has been the exit of Jetta. We would often try to play through him as a playmaker, and required him to put the jets on, but he would often double back and slow the progression up. He became a very lateral player in the last two seasons with the Swans. Lloyd has directly taken his role, and he is playing more run and gun.

Two other things:
    - We seem to have really worked on our "handles". We don't need a lace out handball these days, it can be to the toes, but Kennedy (unbelievable in this facet), Mitchell, Parker, and Hannebery seem to be able to snatch it one grab. So instead of giving the opposition the opportunity to close us down, where other teams have a little fumble, the play flows on.
    - Breaking tackles to break the lines: that is, we seem to be able to shake off the first tackler a lot more than other teams, and it instantly creates an overlap. With quick ball movement by hand, it creates a free runner, and the forwards have been given excellent service this year as a result of the initial wiggle of the hips.

And thirdly, long down the line is no longer the go-to play.. #thankful
    Possibly a little bit harsh on Jetta? But hey, since he is now an Eagle. And I have been impressed by Lloyd this season and his ability to continually get to the edges of packs.
    And good point about the ability of many of our players to break tackles. If the first player misses, then somebody has to leave their man and this creates another immediate option. Possibly a benefit of having a midfield core that are largely in their prime playing years.

Veterans List
    Someone mentioned the dark days of the early 90s, I remember going to a Thursday training session at the SCG in about 1993 and I was the ONLY supporter there. Players looked at me as they jogged around the oval as if I was an oddity.

Remember players breaking from training routines to do boxing with some old boxer, Simon Garlick is the player I remember doing it.

Yes, dark days indeed :-( But this year is looking :-) Just need to put away GWS this week.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    You sure that stuff's not on the banned list?
    Yep. The banned one is joie de vivre Beta 4.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

As was said booing was hard for the whole team but also:
    Jetta and Towers were dead weight
    Losing Buddy was enough but then to lose Parker and Jack on top was just too much.

Having said that, still should have beaten Freo but then would have been smashed by Hawthorn.
    Last edited by dawson; 8th June 2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: updated

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Yep. The banned one is joie de vivre Beta 4.
    A marketing idea for men's fragrances that may not quite work: Joie de Vivre, by Dank.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Possibly a little bit harsh on Jetta? But hey, since he is now an Eagle.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Jetta and Towers were dead weight
    Hmm. That is a little harsh on Jetta, but spot on for Towers (yes, apart from that one game). 2012 Jetta was amazing, when he had the bit between his teeth, but he seemed to be going through the motions since that season.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    A marketing idea for men's fragrances that may not quite work: Joie de Vivre, by Dank.
    "Inject yourself with the joy of life!"
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

"Is banned. Is good."

"Danke, Dr Dank!"

"Joie de Vivre, by Dank."
    Inject yourself into any situation
    or
    "Joie de Vivre, by Dank."
    Have the Pep to tide you over
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

I think a major difference is the overall defensive pressure is greater this year and the players that have come in or have improved their fitness have been able to provide pressure around the ground than those that they have replaced could not sustain for a whole game - hope it stays that way

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I was pessimistic going into the season but I did have a caveat that is the following happened that we could still be a contender

* Buddy to come back well, Tippett to be All Australian and for them to kick 100 goals between them - pretty ambitious targets but they are exceeding them to date
    * Continued improvement from our young guns and mid to bottom list players - Towers was one I had high hopes for and he has disappointed to date but that has been more than offset by Mills and Hewett's debuts, Heeney's continued development along with Rampe, Laidler and Lloyd really stepping up
    * A wildcard - Papley fits that bills for ne you could include Hewett there too
    * A good run with injuries, touch wood all good there

But most of all I'm just so glad to be enjoying my footy again after the ugliness of last year
    +1

And I'd add the improvement of Jones

Warming the Bench
    I see more enthusiasm in the games - right from the start. To me it looks like a big focus on the first quarter to get a good start and make the opposition play catch-up footy. Fremantles plummet from 2015 has been mentioned so what has changed for Freo. Brett Kirk. Can 1 bloke make such a difference to us?

At this time last year I thought we're doing well but it was a struggle. The Goodes booing issue and the injuries towards the end of the season were a real drain on the team. This year I see more energy and less distractions. We have to hope that injuries don't hobble us at the pointy end of the season.

I also think Lewis Jetta's departure has played it's part. Last year we looked to Jetts to provide a spark. He did some good things against the poorer teams but went missing against the stronger teams. I got the impression he checked out half way through last year.

Other positives this year - Hanners is even better than last year (so far) - he's inspirational. The improvement in Mitchell, Rampe, Laidler and Heeny to name a few is noticeable. If we can keep Buddy, Rohan, Heeny and McGlynn (or Papley) fit and firing we have many options for goals.

Of course, we need to take it game at a time but I'm very positive about 2016.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast