Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2015 Vs 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    I see more enthusiasm in the games - right from the start. To me it looks like a big focus on the first quarter to get a good start and make the opposition play catch-up footy. Fremantles plummet from 2015 has been mentioned so what has changed for Freo. Brett Kirk. Can 1 bloke make such a difference to us?

At this time last year I thought we're doing well but it was a struggle. The Goodes booing issue and the injuries towards the end of the season were a real drain on the team. This year I see more energy and less distractions. We have to hope that injuries don't hobble us at the pointy end of the season.

I also think Lewis Jetta's departure has played it's part. Last year we looked to Jetts to provide a spark. He did some good things against the poorer teams but went missing against the stronger teams. I got the impression he checked out half way through last year.

Other positives this year - Hanners is even better than last year (so far) - he's inspirational. The improvement in Mitchell, Rampe, Laidler and Heeny to name a few is noticeable. If we can keep Buddy, Rohan, Heeny and McGlynn (or Papley) fit and firing we have many options for goals.

Of course, we need to take it game at a time but I'm very positive about 2016.
    Yes, some good points there. I also have wondered about the Kirk influence. Certainly it does seem that our defensive pressure, especially our forward defensive pressure, has picked up this year. While with Fremantle it has fallen away and now they seem to have a lot of trouble containing sides. Though of course, one big problem for the Dockers, is the loss of Fyfe and Sandilands, as a lot of their drive last year, was supplied by Sandilands tapping it on to the chest of Fyfe.
    And Hannebery has been superb this season. He is justifiably leading the AFLCA votes, and if I was a betting man, I'd be backing him to win the Brownlow.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I'm not going to quote you all but dejavoodoo44, Doctor and Untamed Snark all got a genuine LOL for Joie de Vivre!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    Dank - banned by the AFL for life. However, he just found a new gig with the Russian Olympic team

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    I see more enthusiasm in the games - right from the start. To me it looks like a big focus on the first quarter to get a good start and make the opposition play catch-up footy. Fremantles plummet from 2015 has been mentioned so what has changed for Freo. Brett Kirk. Can 1 bloke make such a difference to us?

At this time last year I thought we're doing well but it was a struggle. The Goodes booing issue and the injuries towards the end of the season were a real drain on the team. This year I see more energy and less distractions. We have to hope that injuries don't hobble us at the pointy end of the season.

I also think Lewis Jetta's departure has played it's part. Last year we looked to Jetts to provide a spark. He did some good things against the poorer teams but went missing against the stronger teams. I got the impression he checked out half way through last year.

Other positives this year - Hanners is even better than last year (so far) - he's inspirational. The improvement in Mitchell, Rampe, Laidler and Heeny to name a few is noticeable. If we can keep Buddy, Rohan, Heeny and McGlynn (or Papley) fit and firing we have many options for goals.

Of course, we need to take it game at a time but I'm very positive about 2016.
    A very good point.

I liked Lewis Jetta, but his form for West Coast eagles shows that we've been carrying him in the past few years. He had 8 touches in the WAFL. I think his exclusion and the inclusion of a player that actually fights in the center has made all the difference. It's bad to say, but we were almost playing a man down with Jetta in the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    +1

And I'd add the improvement of Jones
    Yep, he's flying below the radar but he's coming along well. Every top team needs hard nuts who are just good honest AFL footballers who go about their job with a minimum of fuss. You can't have 18 superstars, even if you did you'd never keep them but kids like him are very valuable and he's going to have a very good and long AFL career if he keeps on going.

The way we have developed him is a real testament to our development program. You look at who we have in the wings - O'Riordan, Aliir, Marsh, Rose and even BJ (he's still quite young) and you realise we have a very good pipeline. The interesting one for me is Xav R, he's kicked a few bags now, if he can kick 35-40 goals in the second half of the NEAFL season then maybe he can demand a new contract.

Our problem this year is going to be who we let go, especially if AJ's surgery is a success as we all hope for, though best case is late next season so we get a LTI upgrade out of him (O'Riordan I suspect but perhaps even Papley is things get tight). TDx is a def out and I think Ted will retire. On form Harry is demanding a senior list spot. Hiscox would seem out of his depth but I think he is on a three year deal as an academy kid and I respect that. So, you'd think we'll look at trading a player out possibly for a 2017 draft pick. That would leave three out (four with Xav) so you'd think we'll look at two in and one/two upgrades

I remember last year the Swans went into the bye looking comfortably like a contender (we were 2nd on the ladder with a 9-2 record). Came out of the bye, lost to Richmond, then got totally smashed by Hawthorn and West Coast (lost by 89 and 52 points) and looked like we were making up the numbers. I think those defeats knocked a lot of confidence out of the team.

This year I think we are travelling quite a lot better. I'm not sure we should be favourites, but...

There just seems to be a much higher level of confidence within the team , possibly given to them by Kirk.
    So as fans, we have more confidence . I believe they will account for GWS quite easily.
    It's a pretty good ingredient.

Senior Player
    It's a pity we're not going into the finals now, there is still such a long way to go in the home & away season anything
    can happen. Last year I'm not sure we really recovered from that disaster against Hawthorn at ANZ, then the injuries
    at the end of the season finished us off. Just got to go at least 7-4 from here and stay relatively unscathed. Fortunately we
    still have six SCG games up our sleeve, where we are pretty much unbeatable these days (only lost three games there since 2013). Not sure if ANZ is still in the picture for our home finals, but another two (finals) games at the SCG would be nice. Anyway, there are plans, and there is reality.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It's a pity we're not going into the finals now, there is still such a long way to go in the home & away season anything
    can happen. Last year I'm not sure we really recovered from that disaster against Hawthorn at ANZ, then the injuries
    at the end of the season finished us off. Just got to go at least 7-4 from here and stay relatively unscathed. Fortunately we
    still have six SCG games up our sleeve, where we are pretty much unbeatable these days (only lost three games there since 2013). Not sure if ANZ is still in the picture for our home finals, but another two (finals) games at the SCG would be nice. Anyway, there are plans, and there is reality.
    I don't think we'll be back at ANZ. And there is a precedent for a final at the SCG ...
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

When they were taking about all sydney finals a few weeks ago, ANZ was mentioned but the AFL didn't seem interested.

I'd say ANZ is already a rectangular sport only venue

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, some good points there. I also have wondered about the Kirk influence. Certainly it does seem that our defensive pressure, especially our forward defensive pressure, has picked up this year. While with Fremantle it has fallen away and now they seem to have a lot of trouble containing sides. Though of course, one big problem for the Dockers, is the loss of Fyfe and Sandilands, as a lot of their drive last year, was supplied by Sandilands tapping it on to the chest of Fyfe.
    As much as I love the bloke, I don't think you can put Freo's downfall, and our improved style, at the feet of Kirky. I think Freo are the most effected side by the new rules this season. Yes, Sandilands and Fyfe going down are huge influences, but the interchange cap has required more positional play this year rather than following the football around like a bunch of Auskick kids, which was pretty much Freo's gameplan in a nutshell.
    C'mon Chels!

Senior Player
    One of the things that feels different to me this year is that so far we've beaten north Melbourne, GWS, Hawthorn and West Coast. That's 4 out of the top 8. The only top 8 team we've lost to was Adelaide in a cracker of a game and even then it was a narrow loss at their home ground.

This weekend is a real litmus test for us. And then just Bulldogs and Geelong to go from the current top 8. If we can beat both those teams that will be pretty encouraging

My recollection of last year was that we lost to more top 8 teams than we won so our win loss record relied on beat of lower teams

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234