Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Vs 2016

2015 Vs 2016

Since it is the midpoint of the season, I thought that it would be a good idea to have a look in the AFL Record Season Guide, to see how we were travelling compared to last year. That is, how far down were we last year, on this year's second placing and nine wins? And how did the teams up at the top of the table end up faring at the end of the year?
    To my surprise, the team in second place with nine wins and two losses, was the Sydney Swans?? Which just doesn't really tally with my recall of last year. I mean, there just seems to be much more optimism about our chances, compared to this time last year: even though points wise, we're in exactly the same position. And I'm sure if I was to go back to the views being expressed on this forum a year ago, there would be a lot more negativity. So I was just wondering what the reasons for this would be?
    Firstly, I think that there was with most people, a different perception of where the team was at coming into the respective seasons. In regard to 2015, I think that since we were favourites for the 2014 Grand Final, there was probably a feeling that we just had one bad game and that we were still right at the top of the tree. Also, it was probably assumed that any problems, such as skill levels, would have been fixed during the off-season. So when we were winning, but often not really winning well, this sparked a bit of negative feeling. In contrast, coming into this season, there was probably a feeling that we were on the slide and weren't going to be genuine premiership contenders. So this meant that our winning form has been a pleasant surprise.
    And speaking of winning form, one reason that we are winning, is the contribution of our younger players. This also generates more optimism in comparison to 2015. This year, we have had six debutants, most of whom have looked like they belong in the top grade. At the halfway stage last year, we had two debutants: Heeney, who had already been sidelined with a knee injury, and Robinson, who looked serviceable, rather than exciting. Also, we had a few younger players who had previously debuted and we were hoping would step up. However, this wasn't really happening: Jones and Brandon Jack were running around in the NEAFL, Towers was getting a game, but looking ordinary, and Tom Mitchell was only just being selected again. In the first half of this year, Heeney and Mitchell have been starring, while Jones and Robinson have played their roles well.
    In both structure and game style, there has probably been more cause for optimism this year. In regards to structure, last year we had Franklin, Goodes, Reid and Tippett/Pyke all playing up forward, which probably meant we were a bit top heavy and we weren't quite able to put on enough forward pressure. This year's forward line of Franklin, Heeney, Rohan, McGlynn/Papley, resting midfielder and resting ruckman, seems to be more balanced, more exciting and more capable of interfering with the opposition's rebound.
    The ruck position is another area where there is more cause for optimism. This time last year, it was starting to become obvious that Pyke was carrying a chronic injury and wouldn't quite be the player that he was in previous years. While Tippett was starting to throw his weight around in the centre, he wasn't the top flight ruckman that he is this year.
    In regards to the defence, while we have always been able to defend well, this year, we have seemed more assured bringing the ball out, with less of those infuriating and costly turnovers. Which brings me to game style. So far this year, we seem less likely to indulge in handball after handball, and more likely to kick the ball quickly to an attacking option. Which I think also leads to less turnovers and a more attractive brand of football.
    Also, of course, this year we aren't dealing with Goodes booing controversy. But I don't really want to go over that again.
    Anyway, what do other people think?

PS The team that was on top after round 11, 2015, was Fremantle with a 10 and 1 record. WTF has happened there!? And even though it seems that Hawthorn has slipped a bit this year, last year they were 6/4 (with a bye), compared to 8/3 this year.

Some excellent observations. I would suggest the key differences are:
    - speed from the clearances. We don't tend to over use the ball this yr
    - our kicking skills do seem to have improved
    - the defensive skills of our midfield in terms of being able to help out the defenders
    - our young guys have brought enthusiasm and pace to the team
    - Tippo and Buddy have both been exceptional

- - - Updated - - -

Also I wouldn't underestimate the Hawks - hodge is still to return and they are a much better side when he plays

I think the main one is the lowered expectations coming in. I've said it before but it makes footy so much more enjoyable for me when less is expected and the team surprise us. Going into a season as premiership favourites is horrible. Every game that we don't play very good football , regardless of the result, is frustrating. I've loved this year so far, although expectation is building outside our club, we all know we are a side regenerating to an extent. We are in a good Position, but I don't expect us to win a flag this year, and if we do it will be an amazing bonus, rather than the only acceptable result.

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Some excellent observations. I would suggest the key differences are:
    - speed from the clearances. We don't tend to over use the ball this yr
    - our kicking skills do seem to have improved
    - the defensive skills of our midfield in terms of being able to help out the defenders
    - our young guys have brought enthusiasm and pace to the team
    - Tippo and Buddy have both been exceptional

- - - Updated - - -

Also I wouldn't underestimate the Hawks - hodge is still to return and they are a much better side when he plays
    Yes, the speed away from the clearances has been very handy at times. In regards to this, Kieren Jack has somehow seemed to have gained extra pace and agility this year and is giving us some more drive. Hannebery has been superb. Hewett seems to find space in tight corners, and Lloyd has been tireless in getting to contest after contest, to continually provide an outside option.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think the main one is the lowered expectations coming in. I've said it before but it makes footy so much more enjoyable for me when less is expected and the team surprise us. Going into a season as premiership favourites is horrible. Every game that we don't play very good football , regardless of the result, is frustrating. I've loved this year so far, although expectation is building outside our club, we all know we are a side regenerating to an extent. We are in a good Position, but I don't expect us to win a flag this year, and if we do it will be an amazing bonus, rather than the only acceptable result.
    Yes, perception does have a lot to do with it...though I am starting to get just a bit optimistic about our chances this year. And speaking of bonuses: I bonded with the Swans during the dark days of the early nineties, so getting two premierships in my lifetime, is actually two more than I was really expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, perception does have a lot to do with it...though I am starting to get just a bit optimistic about our chances this year. And speaking of bonuses: I bonded with the Swans during the dark days of the early nineties, so getting two premierships in my lifetime, is actually two more than I was really expecting.
    As did I, was born in 88 and my first memories of watching the swans were of consistent 100 points drubbings. And both premierships are bonuses to me too ( my friends consist of saints, Dee's, Tigers and dogs supporters, lucky much ?) . And I never expect a premiership , but when everyone else does, and your team are in a seemingly great position to win one, it makes every game tough. This year not so much, which would make a flag that much sweeter. Long way to go, but our boys are a joy to watch this year and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to come!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Really interesting thoughts dejavoodoo44. My expectations were lower this year than last year, so as you say, this year I expected less and have had a pleasant surprise.

I think the biggest factors in the change have been (not in any particular order): Tippett's maturity in the ruck added to his formidable contribution as a forward marking target, the more measured efforts of Heeney who is less crazy brave and an even better reader of the game, the new maturity of Dan Robinson and especially Jake Lloyd who pops up everywhere like a younger McVeigh, the startlingly mature contributions of Mills, Hewett and Papley, Rampe's rise to a new level, Reg's next step up to domination, the return of Rohan (sounds like something out of Tolkien, and just as spectacular), a next step or two up by Mitchell, the continued rise of one of the competition's very best in Hannebery, and last but not least the new found confidence and flexibility of Longmire who in my mind is currently the best coach in the business not only for his match day efforts but his connection with the players, especially Lance.

I know I haven't mentioned some stars here, but they have performed at their expected high level as they did last year, except that most of them are not currently on the injury list, which is very helpful. We are a real chance, and now I am nervous in a way I wasn't last year!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I was pessimistic going into the season but I did have a caveat that is the following happened that we could still be a contender

* Buddy to come back well, Tippett to be All Australian and for them to kick 100 goals between them - pretty ambitious targets but they are exceeding them to date
    * Continued improvement from our young guns and mid to bottom list players - Towers was one I had high hopes for and he has disappointed to date but that has been more than offset by Mills and Hewett's debuts, Heeney's continued development along with Rampe, Laidler and Lloyd really stepping up
    * A wildcard - Papley fits that bills for ne you could include Hewett there too
    * A good run with injuries, touch wood all good there

But most of all I'm just so glad to be enjoying my footy again after the ugliness of last year

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    As did I, was born in 88 and my first memories of watching the swans were of consistent 100 points drubbings. And both premierships are bonuses to me too ( my friends consist of saints, Dee's, Tigers and dogs supporters, lucky much ?) . And I never expect a premiership , but when everyone else does, and your team are in a seemingly great position to win one, it makes every game tough. This year not so much, which would make a flag that much sweeter. Long way to go, but our boys are a joy to watch this year and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to come!
    Really? you were 8 when we made a Grand Final (1996) and we've missed one finals series since then. Unless you have exceptional memory recall you are being a bit over-dramatic. As a four year old those tough times must have had a clearly profound effect on your impressionable young mind....

Next you'll be reminiscing about when you watched us play in front of 3,000 people at the SCG on the 90s (we never got that low) and had a whole bay at the SCG to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Really interesting thoughts dejavoodoo44. My expectations were lower this year than last year, so as you say, this year I expected less and have had a pleasant surprise.

I think the biggest factors in the change have been (not in any particular order): Tippett's maturity in the ruck added to his formidable contribution as a forward marking target, the more measured efforts of Heeney who is less crazy brave and an even better reader of the game, the new maturity of Dan Robinson and especially Jake Lloyd who pops up everywhere like a younger McVeigh, the startlingly mature contributions of Mills, Hewett and Papley, Rampe's rise to a new level, Reg's next step up to domination, the return of Rohan (sounds like something out of Tolkien, and just as spectacular), a next step or two up by Mitchell, the continued rise of one of the competition's very best in Hannebery, and last but not least the new found confidence and flexibility of Longmire who in my mind is currently the best coach in the business not only for his match day efforts but his connection with the players, especially Lance.

I know I haven't mentioned some stars here, but they have performed at their expected high level as they did last year, except that most of them are not currently on the injury list, which is very helpful. We are a real chance, and now I am nervous in a way I wasn't last year!
    Yes, The Return of Rohan: the long awaited sequel to The Domination of the Reg.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    But most of all I'm just so glad to be enjoying my footy again after the ugliness of last year
    That's the difference for me too. I was looking over stats, when were we last 9/2 at half way - oh look, just last year - and it didn't tally with my perception of last season. For me, it began tainted with the 2014 GF experience and ended with the bad, ugly events (Goodes, Walsh) which have been much discussed already, plus the general sense of a dull and low-quality season overall.

This year has been great so far, let's hope the back half brings more of the same.

Veterans List
    I just saw the Kangaroos game and what stood out for me was the genuine joyfulness of Buddy after each goal. He always celebrates but his smile this time was of a happy man having a ball. Bodes well.

Also, there's a time in each Premiership year (2005 and 2012) when the team begins to click - and theyinstinctively know where each other is. That seems to be happening. We need to reduce mistakes but the teamwork has risen greatly.

Last year was post GF 2014 disaster and turned into Goodes 2015 disaster. I'm rather surprised that I hung around but I'm glad I did as footy is fun this year. Maybe that's just lowered expectations but I think it's a lot to do with watching the kids develop. Will they get tired as the season goes on? Who knows but it's fun right now. Funny how we have a young team but seem to bully other teams with our maturity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast