Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 11: Giants Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Spotless Stadium

Where was Leonardis playing?

3 goals off half back and not in the best?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veterans List
    Surely Foote must now get a senior run, can't do any more but keep getting best fors in our NEAFL side.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Reid injured calf according to Peter Lalor on twitter

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Where was Leonardis playing?

3 goals off half back and not in the best?
    Play him in the 1's. At least he will provide forward half pressure. GWS just strolled out of our forward line too easily because of the lack of pressure from a couple of small forwards. From what I see of him he has a red hot go.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Reid injured calf according to Peter Lalor on twitter
    Confirmed by horse after the game. Disappointing news.

Veterans List
    The positive is we can blood someone else.

Firstly, one of the most enjoyable and engaging NEAFL games in recent seasons. One team would go on a run, take control only have the other team hit back and wrest the reins. Not using it as an excuse but the fact the Swans had only 1 fit body at the end of the game against the Giants' 5 (both teams were playing 23 today) was telling. The Swans named 18 listed players on the team sheet on Friday but lost Toby Nankervis and Xavier Richards before the game, and then subsequently lost Tom Derickx and Lewis Melican at half time, and Sam Reid at 3 quarter time as well as having Dean Towers rested for the second half (Giants didn't rest any of their three emergencies) which meant that we finished the game with 12 listed players.

Individual players:
    • Abe DAVIS - Excelling in this new defensive key post. Very vocal and was the key organiser down back. Good size about him, took the bigger forwards like Simpson/Downie with Aliir taking the more mobile Stewart.
    • Jack HISCOX - Unsighted for large parts of the game. If our inside mids cannot get clean ball to the outside to his advantage he becomes a peripheral figure because he isn't a good contested player. Kicked a nice front and center goal in the 3rd quarter.
    • Tom DERICKX - Started full forward and relieved Naismith in the ruck. Probably went off sometime in the 2nd quarter but I only noticed after half time.
    • Sam REID - Slow first quarter, only 3 touches. Started the 2nd quarter in the centre square but didn't stay there long. But it seemed to be the required catalyst and he began taking many marks around half forward and in the forward line and chased and tackled well. Shame about the calf injury, let's hope it's not too serious.
    • Dean TOWERS - Finding a lot of the ball playing as an inside midfielder, ball use not as good as it should be at this level but made up for it with his second efforts. In good form and probably deserves a recall to the seniors based on his last few games.
    • Nic NEWMAN - I really liked his game and was surprised he was let out of the bests. At times can be accused of being a little soft, he really got stuck into his tackling and contested balls today and was a calm presence in what was a sometimes chaotic backline.
    • Tyrone LEONARDIS - Kicked 2 of the first 3 goals of the game but it was his 3rd goal that was a highlight. Tomlinson had the ball on the Giants halfback line, thought he plenty of space so casually looked up and was about to kick it only for Leonardis to come in from the side, smother the kick, gather the loose ball and goal. Playing mainly off halfback, I loved his long striding runs down the wing and long delivery to our forwards. Defensive side might be a concern, while he loves to get physical I think he lets too many tackles go through him, will need to tighten that part of his game up.
    • Brandon JACK - Played mostly forward first half, without much impact. 2nd half mainly in the midfield and was desperately trying to drive the team forward but ball use was at times poor.
    • Jordan DAWSON - Only came on for the 2nd quarter after missing a whole game last week. Struggled to get hands on the ball and had little impact on the game.
    • Sam NAISMITH - The dominant ruckman of the day getting his hands to most of the taps and also being quite useful around the ground and up forward. I imagine he'll be the favourite to replace Tippett. However in the last quarter when the game was very much on the line, he spent some time on the bench getting a rubdown and when he came on it was to full forward leaving the green Galloway to battle away for most of the quarter against 2 AFL level ruckmen. Which might indicate that Naismith was injured during the game or was carrying an injury into it. Unfortunately gave away the 50m penalty that led to the game winner. He was actually trying to do the right thing and man the spot where his man Finlayson took the mark. Finlayson is super quick so Naismith was running desperately to keep up, but clumsily cannoned into Finlayson and gave away the 50m penalty.
    • Aliir ALIIR - Very attacking sort of a backman, keen to get the ball moving and generally makes good decisions. A few times showed amazing closing speed to chase down a leading forward. Playing with a lot of confidence but I still have queries about his propensity to give his man too much room inside 50 as he likes to zone off and become third man up at marking contests
    • Colin O'RIORDAN - A bit of a mixed bag for Colin today. There's a lot to like with his energy, competitiveness and confidence and it feels like the coaches have told him to back himself and have a real crack. However with those kind of instructions it can lead to some errors and a few times today he tried to bust through packs unsuccessfully causing turnovers in our back half.
    • Lewis MELICAN - Keen to see how he would play on the bigger forwards today but went off injured in the 2nd quarter.
    • Jordan FOOTE - Started the day opposed to Adam Tomlinson which wasn't a matchup that turned out well given how good the Giant was in the first quarter. Had to step in the 2nd half with Towers gone and I felt he was our most effective midfield in the second half with his tireless workrate.
    • Sam MURRAY - Another who needs to have more impact on the game. Playing mainly at half forward and wing, his highlight of the day was his fly in from the side late in the last quarter which turned out to be the last goal of the game.
    • Kyle GALLOWAY - Took a great one-on-one contested mark against Finlayson in the first quarter, standing his ground and grasping the ball to his chest. Last quarter work in the ruck was his most challenging task in his short career so far and he did well enough to keep us in the game.
    • Topups - Hebron had the unenviable task of playing on Tomlinson in our backline in the 2nd half. While Tomlinson ran Hebron up and down the ground more than a few times, Tomlinson's impact on the game was not as strong as his first quarter performance would have signalled. Baron-Hay was used as a tallish defender in the back half and marked and competed well there. McFadden receiving midfield time as as been the case most of the year was okay today. Reinhard wasteful up forward with aimless high kicks going inside 50. Wilson looked dangerous all game and snapped 2 opportunistic goals that most small forwards would be proud of. Veale mainly off a wing realtively quiet

Warming the Bench
    Thanks as always for the report ugg. Do you know why X and Nanker were out before the game?

I'm probably leaning towards injury without having any knowledge. The fact that Towers was rested in the 2nd half would seem to suggest Nankervis wasn't being rested as an emergency.

Veteran Site Admin
    With so few of our games as curtain raisers this year so far (and the one previous one being on a work-day afternoon), this was the first time I've been able to watch the reserves team live, as opposed to on webcast. As Ugg said, it was a very entertaining game. I hadn't realised how many soldiers down we were by the end. To lose by a single point is a pretty creditable outcome in the circumstances.

Jordan Foote transformed my opinion of him today. I'd thought of him as a ultra hardworking, tough player who maybe didn't have a stand out quality that indicates he could have senior potential. Those first two characteristics still stand, but today I noticed a turn of pace that I hadn't noticed before. He showed some serious wheels today. Not Rohan quick, but still pretty impressive. Combined with his intent to bodyline the ball in traffic, often forcing it in the right direction and winning possession, I am not surprised he was named as the best.

The fact that ColinO has some tricks isn't news, but he continues to amaze me by how quickly he has picked up the game. His kicking style is fluid and penetrating, and while he makes mistakes, he does more right than wrong. Assuming he stays fit and healthy, not only do I think he'll make it at senior level, I can see him becoming a very good player at senior level. Not this year, but he should get a chance next year.

Brandon Jack second goal in this NEAFL goal of the week clip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast