Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd.13 V Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Actually Cunningham into the 25. You would think Aliir is the logical replacement for Laidler who had been playing on tall forwards.
    With the number of talls out of the side we may be lucky with the weather conditions this week. I don't think Harry will play. His mother doesn't like him going outdoors when it's raining. After visiting all those sick kids in hospital this week, wouldn't it be ironic if Harry caught cold and ended up in hospital himself.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    With Laidler now out surely Aliir comes in. I'd also like to see Leonardis given a run off half back/ wing.

Outs: Tippett, Cunningham, Laidler, Marsh
    Ins: Naismith, Hewett, Aliir, Leonardis
    From what I've seen of Leonardis, he doesn't look ready for senior footy yet. He has some nice attributes that suggest he could become a senior player in time. But he drifts in and out of games, the defensive side of his game needs work, and I wonder if his fitness is at the necessary level. I realise he's been named as an emergency, but I would have thought there are other players better equipped at the moment.

If he plays i'd expect a blinder from Harry. It might be just the scare he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    From what I've seen of Leonardis, he doesn't look ready for senior footy yet. He has some nice attributes that suggest he could become a senior player in time. But he drifts in and out of games, the defensive side of his game needs work, and I wonder if his fitness is at the necessary level. I realise he's been named as an emergency, but I would have thought there are other players better equipped at the moment.
    Using the NEAFL squad as a guide would indicate that the inclusions will be 4 of Hewett, Aliir, Nanka, Towers and Leonardis for Tippett, Laidler, Cunningham and Marsh.

I agree that Leo doesn't look quite ready for senior footy, but is the kind of player that could cause problems in wet conditions (hopefully not for us). He's pesky and pesty as well. I can see him fitting into the Bulldogs game plan.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 17th June 2016 at 03:10 PM.

Senior Player
    With Laidler out things are getting scary down back. How is Aliir in wet conditions? Can he lock down a third tall? Would X have been the better choice?

Also, with Tippett now out for 8 weeks after surgery we have the right to put him on the LTIL. Would O'Riordon or Newman be options under that scenario?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Warming the Bench
    Tippet out - a ruckman in Nanka or Naismith
    Marsh out - a defender in - Aliir
    Cunningham dropped - a mid to come in - Hewett
    The 4th interchange - Lloyd

Thus the bench becomes
    Nankervis
    Aliir
    Hewett
    Lloyd

So now Laidler is out - who comes in as a defender; chances are it's Leonardis

Starting to scream Danger game to me

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Also, with Tippett now out for 8 weeks after surgery we have the right to put him on the LTIL. Would O'Riordon or Newman be options under that scenario?
    O'Riordan - no, not yet (though he does seem to relish playing in the wet). Next season, look out. He might come with a bang.

Newman certainly looks close to ready to being tested at the next level. Foote looks like he might be able to make the step up. Both of them are hampered by their rookie status. I can't see them putting Tippett on the LTIL. It will be too important to get him back playing as soon as he's ready. Once you put someone on the LTIL, they can't play at any level for at least 8 weeks. Why risk him being ready slightly sooner than expected but then not being able to play.

I do think there is still one spot available though. I lose track, but I think Robinson was placed on the LTIL, which means there are currently three on that list. Marsh and Papley have taken two of those spots.

Davis and Jack are two others that I would have expected to come up for consideration ahead of Leonardis. Davis, in particular, might be able to play a Laidler type role. Jack has a better developed game than Leonardis in almost every aspect (fitness, defensive pressure, probably speed - though there'd not be much in it) except his kicking (and especially his composure when about to kick).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    O'Riordan - no, not yet (though he does seem to relish playing in the wet). Next season, look out. He might come with a bang.

Newman certainly looks close to ready to being tested at the next level. Foote looks like he might be able to make the step up. Both of them are hampered by their rookie status. I can't see them putting Tippett on the LTIL. It will be too important to get him back playing as soon as he's ready. Once you put someone on the LTIL, they can't play at any level for at least 8 weeks. Why risk him being ready slightly sooner than expected but then not being able to play.

I do think there is still one spot available though. I lose track, but I think Robinson was placed on the LTIL, which means there are currently three on that list. Marsh and Papley have taken two of those spots.

Davis and Jack are two others that I would have expected to come up for consideration ahead of Leonardis. Davis, in particular, might be able to play a Laidler type role. Jack has a better developed game than Leonardis in almost every aspect (fitness, defensive pressure, probably speed - though there'd not be much in it) except his kicking (and especially his composure when about to kick).
    I think you are correct on all points.

As for Tippett's injury, this short article will give some idea why surgery was the chosen option in the end. The average recovery was 7 weeks with surgery, the best of all the outcomes. Distal Semitendinosus Ruptures in Elite-Level Athletes

The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Final R13 teams named
    Syd Swans v Melbourne
    Interchange; Hewett, Lloyd, Nankervis, Towers.
    Emergencies; Cunningham, Leonardis, Naismith.

Melbourne v Sydney Swans
    Interchange; Trengove, Oliver, Hunt, Kennedy.
    Emergencies; Michie, Grimes, Harmes.
    Unchanged

Brandon Jack has barely rated a mention all year, even as an emergency even though hes been in good form in the NEAFL.
    I know his disposal has been a bit iffy but he has looked really good.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast