Thread: Tackling

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp

Question Tackling

This is something that I have been wondering about for a while and this video gives a perfect example:
    the 10 round 13s-best-moments (1m50s in)
    #3 Surely this is tackling without the ball? Davis has only just been able to touch it with his palm, not take possession, and Fantasia has completely grabbed him. Now, maybe Fantasia thought he had possession and that is why he kept on with the tackle but surely at least one umpire could see it was tackled without the ball? None of the commentators thought it was wrong, Lynch(?) thought it was a great tackle!
    This is not an isolated incident and I have a lot of trouble explaining to non Aussie rules fans why players can be tackled without the ball all the time.
    Or is it just me?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

When I was watching parts of this game I happened to see that incident "live" and I thought to myself that Davis was tackled without the ball.
    With regards Lynch and many other commentators their pro Victorian bias is evident to see and hear. If the telecast does not involve Victorian clubs then the bias is directed to the underdogs.