Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 12: Sydney Swans Reserves v Aspley Hornets @ Blacktown

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Agree with most of that Ludwig but not so sure about Murray or Galloway. Murray I think is the youngest on the list and is starting to show a bit. Certainly seems to be improving. Galloway is also incredibly young for someone of his size. Seems to be getting more of the ball and a few hit outs now.
    The Swans development program is so good that I shouldn't put anything past them. Galloway is coming from such a long way back they would have to be miracle workers to turn him into an AFL footballer. Murray, on the other hand, does have ability and I may have jumped the gun on him. My biggest criticism of Murray is that he tends to focus on doing it all himself and seems unaware of his teammates around him. A bit like BJ was. You would think he could improve a lot in this area, so he is by no means a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree. It must have been out of academy loyalty that we matched Freo's bid, because he was never worth more than a rookie spot. I thought Abe would be the one to get a 2nd round bid.

We actually don't have many spuds on our list, so it won't be easy at delisting time. Galloway, Murray, Derickx (will have to find new whipping boy) and Hiscox are the ones that come to mind as the most likely. Melican is injured again (hamstring, 4 weeks), which is a worry, but I think we'd like to keep him on another season as he has shown some good signs, but he just doesn't get enough playing time due to injury.

Can't make a call on AJ yet. When I see Menzel running around and kicking goals, I get hopeful. How good would that be to see AJ playing again.

I was just about ready to pull the plug on XR, for no other reason than lack of progress, but we'll have to wait and see how this switch to forward works out. So far, looking good.

It's hard to call for trading Towers after he's just had his best game.

Agree with Primmy that Newman is the one that could step up to senior level next. Abe Davis is such a natural footballer that I have little doubt he will make the transition to senior football as smoothly as Hewett has. And O'Riordan is playing so well consistently that it will be hard to keep him out of the senior side next year, at least for a few games.

The club has done a great development job with Foote. He looks a more likely prospect by the week.

Jake Brown has shown enough to get a rookie spot next year. I doubt he will go in the ND.
    I think Hiscox is on a three year deal as an academy kid so cannot be de-listed.

Tom Dx, Ted and Xav seem logical de-listings. I had Towers' papers marked but I hope he can prove us all wrong and I just think he might.

Maybe with the new TV deal we'll be able to get the list back up to 40 which would mean 5 in, 6 really considering AJ will be on the LTIL pretty much all season even if the op is a success. That leaves Papley, Marsh, a KPD and two draft picks. O'Riordan and Foote to fight over the AJ's rookie upgrade. Newman may be one we let go unless of course we are able to draft only one player and upgrade three rookies (and nobody has been able to tell me why we can't do that yet).

If we can't make the list expand to 40 then we face some real dilemmas at year end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I think Hiscox is on a three year deal as an academy kid so cannot be de-listed.

Tom Dx, Ted and Xav seem logical de-listings. I had Towers' papers marked but I hope he can prove us all wrong and I just think he might.

Maybe with the new TV deal we'll be able to get the list back up to 40 which would mean 5 in, 6 really considering AJ will be on the LTIL pretty much all season even if the op is a success. That leaves Papley, Marsh, a KPD and two draft picks. O'Riordan and Foote to fight over the AJ's rookie upgrade. Newman may be one we let go unless of course we are able to draft only one player and upgrade three rookies (and nobody has been able to tell me why we can't do that yet).

If we can't make the list expand to 40 then we face some real dilemmas at year end.
    I don't think academy kids are on 3 year contracts and believe Hiscox' contract ends this year.

There are just too many variables to work out the machinations of the distribution of rookie and senior list players at this point in time. It's speculative enough just to try to guess what the delistings will be. AJ's status makes it all that much more unpredictable. I can't see letting Newman go when he's been our best reserves player this year. My guess is that Davis and O'Riordan will go on be better players, but on 2016 performance alone, Newman would be ahead of both.

Veteran Site Admin
    I hope Newman doesn't turn into another Biggs - a player who knows he can play at senior level but has to go looking for it elsewhere. I know depth in key position backs is generally thought to be the major weakness in the Swans list (by the outside media and some fans), but generating decent rebound from defence is, I think, a more immediate and pressing need. Jones is starting to make a difference, and certainly McVeigh was able to use his experience and class to good effect in the torrid conditions yesterday. But he won't be around for ever, and yesterday he did it with guile, not pace. When you look at the likes of the Adelaide, Bulldogs and Giants, they have numerous rebound options. I don't think the Swans necessarily should be copying their team structure, but having one of two who can rebound with a combination of pace and good kicking skills will surely make the team better over the next few seasons.

I am very optimistic about O'Riordan's potential but it won't come to fruition for a few years yet (at least not in terms of him reaching the level we hope he will get to). But through in Newman, Marsh alongside Jones, and we suddenly have a bevvy of very inexperienced but developing players who have decent pace and penetrating foot skills.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I have it in the back of my head that the swans give their draftees from the first two rounds a three year contract

As for Galloway yes he's coming from a long way back but I'm sure the Swans knew that when they rookied him, wouldn't make much sense cutting him given they would have been well aware it would be years before he truly developed

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I have it in the back of my head that the swans give their draftees from the first two rounds a three year contract

As for Galloway yes he's coming from a long way back but I'm sure the Swans knew that when they rookied him, wouldn't make much sense cutting him given they would have been well aware it would be years before he truly developed
    I agree Galloway would have been seen as a very long term prospect, but that doesn't preclude them cutting him if they've seen little in his year on the list to suggest he might develop. McLaren, for example, lasted just a year. That said, I am sure they are looking at (and for) very different things than outside reserves watchers are looking at.

I think his last couple of weeks have been reasonably encouraging. It seems like he's getting the confidence to become a bit more physical. I like the fact that he got the opportunity to ruck for an entire quarter against GWS the weekend before last. I thought he held his own reasonably well.

Big game from Tom Derickx. 112 DT points. We should put off contract talks with Tom Mitchell until we get Derickx signed up. I'm struggling to find a new whipping boy for next season. Galloway and Hiscox are a couple of soft targets that are even too low for me to stoop. Barry has Macca and Nico's got Cunningham. By my reckoning that only leaves Towers for me, and he's starting to play well. I've got a real dilemma brewing here.

He should ask Wilson as I think he kicked his first with non preferred !

Big game from Tom Derickx. 112 DT points. We should put off contract talks with Tom Mitchell until we get Derickx signed up. I'm struggling to find a new whipping boy for next season. Galloway and Hiscox are a couple of soft targets that are even too low for me to stoop. Barry has Macca and Nico's got Cunningham. By my reckoning that only leaves Towers for me, and he's starting to play well. I've got a real dilemma brewing here.
    Galloway did have a huge 3 possession game this week.

Senior Player
    Yes, Jack Hiscox' contract ends this year. He played with & against one of my boys for many years up to U18s and they went to the same high school. He is a good young bloke, and a natural athlete but I'll be very surprised if he gets another a year. It's a pity, inner city Sydney kids getting to the AFL are very rare. Dane Rampe was a few years ahead of them at the same school.

I don't think academy kids are on 3 year contracts and believe Hiscox' contract ends this year.

There are just too many variables to work out the machinations of the distribution of rookie and senior list players at this point in time. It's speculative enough just to try to guess what the delistings will be. AJ's status makes it all that much more unpredictable. I can't see letting Newman go when he's been our best reserves player this year. My guess is that Davis and O'Riordan will go on be better players, but on 2016 performance alone, Newman would be ahead of both.

NEAFL MVP
    Sydney v Aspley

6: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
    5: Jordan Foote (Sydney)
    4: Tom Derickx (Sydney)
    4: Nic Newman (Sydney)
    3: Harry Cunningham (Sydney)
    3: Colin O�Riordan (Sydney)
    3: Matthew Payne (Aspley)
    2: Abe Davis (Sydney)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast