Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Round 12: Sydney Swans Reserves v Aspley Hornets @ Blacktown

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, Jack Hiscox' contract ends this year. He played with & against one of my boys for many years up to U18s and they went to the same high school. He is a good young bloke, and a natural athlete but I'll be very surprised if he gets another a year. It's a pity, inner city Sydney kids getting to the AFL are very rare. Dane Rampe was a few years ahead of them at the same school.
    Thanks for clarifying that, that makes things a bit easier squad-wise.

On the basis of recent form it would seem very careless to let Newman leave. I'd also suggest that young Colin is a lot closer to senior football than anyone in their wildest dreams thought he'd be at this stage of his first season, I fully expect him to play senior footy next year and be a revelation when he does.

I think it's highly likely with the increased cap we'll try and stretch the dollars to expand the list to 39.

The rookie list works well for us and is a tribute to the development work we do. Foote and O'Riordan are already the next batch knocking at the door.

There will be AFL discussions soon about modifying or even abolishing the rookie list. For my part, I would keep the rookie provisions as is, but allow rookies to play senior football without having to go through upgrades and LTIL listings. It will still give the clubs the ability to offer 1 year contracts to some new players, but eventually a call will have to be made on them and allow rookies a better opportunity to show their abilities and not be held back by some silly technicality.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some changes soon, which is why I don't worry much about shuffling players between lists. I think it will be a moot point before too long.

I think the NEAFL performances this year shows that we actually have quite a deep list, contrary to what many thought a few months ago. I would like to see us use our 1st two ND picks this year. I'm not too worried about our KPPs although I would like us to focus our selections in this area. I don't think it's a weakness, just not an area where we have a lot of depth. By the end of the season things could be looking a lot rosier if we see Reid, Talia and Abe Davis all fit and running around, and AJ well on the comeback trail. KPP depth? No worries.

If anybody is interested this game is being shown on NITV at 11am this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There will be AFL discussions soon about modifying or even abolishing the rookie list. For my part, I would keep the rookie provisions as is, but allow rookies to play senior football without having to go through upgrades and LTIL listings. It will still give the clubs the ability to offer 1 year contracts to some new players, but eventually a call will have to be made on them and allow rookies a better opportunity to show their abilities and not be held back by some silly technicality.
    Sounds a lot like abolishing the rookie list. Maybe pre season draft should be only draft where 1 year contracts are allowed.

Veteran Site Admin
    It should be possible to abolish the list but still allow clubs to draft some players on one year contracts. It can just be stipulated that a club has the right to draft any player taken in round X (or later) on a one year contract. Nominees could be allowed to state before the draft whether they are willing to accept a one year contract. If they choose against it, they know they risk not being taken at all if they are not towards the top of the pecking order. I doubt many would opt out.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It should be possible to abolish the list but still allow clubs to draft some players on one year contracts. It can just be stipulated that a club has the right to draft any player taken in round X (or later) on a one year contract. Nominees could be allowed to state before the draft whether they are willing to accept a one year contract. If they choose against it, they know they risk not being taken at all if they are not towards the top of the pecking order. I doubt many would opt out.
    I was thinking about something along these lines. There are a number of possible variations. The main points for me are that we can have a single draft and there be no playing restrictions on any drafted player. So the parts that remain from the current system are mostly related to contract matters.

I agree. It must have been out of academy loyalty that we matched Freo's bid, because he was never worth more than a rookie spot. I thought Abe would be the one to get a 2nd round bid.

We actually don't have many spuds on our list, so it won't be easy at delisting time. Galloway, Murray, Derickx (will have to find new whipping boy) and Hiscox are the ones that come to mind as the most likely. Melican is injured again (hamstring, 4 weeks), which is a worry, but I think we'd like to keep him on another season as he has shown some good signs, but he just doesn't get enough playing time due to injury.

Can't make a call on AJ yet. When I see Menzel running around and kicking goals, I get hopeful. How good would that be to see AJ playing again.

I was just about ready to pull the plug on XR, for no other reason than lack of progress, but we'll have to wait and see how this switch to forward works out. So far, looking good.

It's hard to call for trading Towers after he's just had his best game.

Agree with Primmy that Newman is the one that could step up to senior level next. Abe Davis is such a natural footballer that I have little doubt he will make the transition to senior football as smoothly as Hewett has. And O'Riordan is playing so well consistently that it will be hard to keep him out of the senior side next year, at least for a few games.

The club has done a great development job with Foote. He looks a more likely prospect by the week.

Jake Brown has shown enough to get a rookie spot next year. I doubt he will go in the ND.

I personally think Davis is going to be a player. He can play anywhere, back, forward, mis, ruck. Starting to remind you of anyone? He generally has wonderful awareness.I too was surprised that we took Hiscox before Davis.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some changes soon, which is why I don't worry much about shuffling players between lists. I think it will be a moot point before too long.

I think the NEAFL performances this year shows that we actually have quite a deep list, contrary to what many thought a few months ago. I would like to see us use our 1st two ND picks this year. I'm not too worried about our KPPs although I would like us to focus our selections in this area. I don't think it's a weakness, just not an area where we have a lot of depth. By the end of the season things could be looking a lot rosier if we see Reid, Talia and Abe Davis all fit and running around, and AJ well on the comeback trail. KPP depth? No worries.

I said all along our list was strong. But most kept saying we only had so many AFL experienced players. They only looked at that as a measure of depth. But what I saw as a measure of depth was ready to go young players with extraordinary talent. Look at the facts, our reserves is as good if not better than GWS and they got draft concessions for 4 years. Crikey we might not have a team of first and second rounders like them but we have picked really well and have developed really well. Welcome to the new world people, most of your kids have to be close to the mark or they will get shafted from now on. If they are not near in two years then they might just be delisted. By three and no senior games, you would expect them to be delisted. Marsh is a strange phenomenon.

it's not about having AFL experienced sides anymore it is about showing the ability to fit the mould of the side you are developing and therefore being able to step up to any level and play their role. Don't worry we have changed our direction in the last two years. We now have a hugely talented list and we are developing some seriously gifted individuals who when blended together are going to make an awesome team. The reserves already is and the Seniors is getting there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456