Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 144

Thread: Rnd 13 Match Day Thread Sydney V Melbourne. SCG 13.10 pm.

  1. #37
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,451
    Macca looked as quick as anyone out there today. At the very least he can play in the wet. Hope he is back in form and can carry it over to dry conditions.

    The best game I've seen Jones play. Maybe he wanted to impress his brother, and he did. He was very skillful for the conditions.

    Once Rose gets those mistakes out of his game, which I'm sure he will, he will be a very good player. He's way ahead of where Towers was at this stage of experience. His pressure is fantastic for such a young player. It was a good performance by Towers, especially for condition you wouldn't think would suit him. He still makes too many decision errors under pressure.

    Hewett had a great snap goal on his left. One of the reasons why he's a valuable edition to the team.

    I also was impressed with Aliir. He's very composed for a 2 game player. He definitely is looking to be a long term player for us in a position where we have some questions going forward. I would keep in for the Bulldogs game regardless of the availability of Richards and Laidler. As for KPDs BTW, I think I was Talia out with the players in the 3 qtr break. He walked off the field without any limp, so perhaps he's on his way to a full recovery. Maybe Ugg can confirm it was him.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 19th June 2016 at 05:38 PM.

  2. #38
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    890
    Pretty good showing in poor conditions. Thought Nankervis crash and bash was just what was required today. Good to see Towers go well and enjoyed my first good look at Allir too, thought he went alright. He's a pretty accurate passing kick.

    They all adapted pretty well today, seemed to handle the conditions better as the game went on.

    Pretty happy with where we are heading into the break.

  3. #39
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,072
    Thought that Melbourne were eventually ground down by our record breaking 155 tackles. Seems like we are now a good wet weather side. In the past, I think there was a tendency to still look for a handball as the first option and this kept on breaking down in the wet. Now we are more likely to kick it forward straight away and then harass the opposition if the kick goes astray.
    I also think that everybody played well today. McVeigh's skills were pretty to watch. Parker and Heeney were tackling machines. Kennedy, Hannebery and Jack had plenty of hard ball gets. Buddy delivered a few demoralising blows. And the whole defense was on top; with the younger players showing a lot. Jones gave as plenty of drive, Aliir was classy and surely Mills did enough to finally earn a Rising Star nomination.

  4. #40
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,682
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Thought that Melbourne were eventually ground down by our record breaking 155 tackles. Seems like we are now a good wet weather side. In the past, I think there was a tendency to still look for a handball as the first option and this kept on breaking down in the wet. Now we are more likely to kick it forward straight away and then harass the opposition if the kick goes astray.
    I also think that everybody played well today. McVeigh's skills were pretty to watch. Parker and Heeney were tackling machines. Kennedy, Hannebery and Jack had plenty of hard ball gets. Buddy delivered a few demoralising blows. And the whole defense was on top; with the younger players showing a lot. Jones gave as plenty of drive, Aliir was classy and surely Mills did enough to finally earn a Rising Star nomination.
    I only saw small snippets of the game but glad to see us put in another good wet weather Performance, and happy to see Towers put in a good performance - having seen some of what he has shown in ressies at times, you can understand why the coaches are giving him every opportunity to make it, even if he has been underwhelming so far in the afl. Very good to see him play a really decent game today.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  5. #41
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,002

  6. #42
    Goes up to 11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,936
    Our pressure really ground them down and allowed us to run away with the match. As far as wet games go I thought it was excellent and plenty of intense crash and bash wet weather stuff from both teams.

    Aliir put in an accomplished performance with plenty of good spoils. He ran out of gas a bit by the end but he'll improve his motor.

    Some really good performances by our lesser lights was the most pleasing thing about today.

  7. #43
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    6,306
    The customers at the Riser went home happy today. Great effort from the whole team, with the examples set clearly by the captains. The progress of the youngsters is very encouraging, and I thought Heeney, Towers, Mills, Rose, Hewett, Nankervis, Jones and Aliir all made important contributions. I was also pleased to see Gary Rohan filling in ("resting"?) at fullback - good experience for him although I prefer to see him forward.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  8. #44
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,002
    McVeighs best game this year, Towers best game ever, Parker returns to form, even Benny Mc's second half was much better. Really enjoyed Aliir x2's game too.
    I'm an unashamed James Rose fan. One day soon everything will go right for him and he'll play a blinder.

  9. #45
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,072
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I only saw small snippets of the game but glad to see us put in another good wet weather Performance, and happy to see Towers put in a good performance - having seen some of what he has shown in ressies at times, you can understand why the coaches are giving him every opportunity to make it, even if he has been underwhelming so far in the afl. Very good to see him play a really decent game today.
    In regards to Towers, I'm at a stage where his good games surprise me a lot more than his mediocre games. Though if he can keep showing the form that he showed today, then after a while I will consider it a good news story and I will be pleased that he has finally made the grade, after so often looking like he won't. Though it will be interesting to see if he gets a game next match, as there will be a fair few players in line for selection after the bye. It may actually good for him to go back to ressies and wait his turn again, after playing a good game: instead of going back after being dropped for a poor game.

  10. #46
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,072
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    McVeighs best game this year, Towers best game ever, Parker returns to form, even Benny Mc's second half was much better. Really enjoyed Aliir x2's game too.
    I'm an unashamed James Rose fan. One day soon everything will go right for him and he'll play a blinder.
    All he really needs to do to play a blinder, is to bob up with a few goals, as the rest of his game is already very good. I don't think that will be too far away: a dry day and the ball bouncing his way in the forward 50, is probably all that is required.

  11. #47
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    4,728
    Also broke the record tackle count in a game by both teams combined - by a lot. Previous was around 190.

    McVeigh watch: BOG

    Towers was great

    Looks like some Swans are frequenting RWO
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  12. #48
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,151
    Towers had 27 possessions (11 contested!), 6 marks, 5 tackles and two goals.......no bruise free footy there. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO