Thread: Changes to drafting by AFL

Changes to drafting by AFL

The AFL are looking at changing the way the draft works (again!!) to stop clubs (i.e. northern clubs) trading their higher draft picks away for lower ones to accumulate points for academy players like what was done last year. Some talk of taking the discount away also.
    What next!!

They sent out letters asking the clubs what their thoughts were. Hello. What do they think the answer will be? 10 x Vic clubs, 2 x W.A, 2 x S.A V's 4 x northern clubs.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    There are two separate moves afoot here:

1. The article's main point: Clubs can only take as many draft picks as they have list vacancies on draft day. I think last year, the Lions is particular had stockpiled a lot of middling picks and were allowed to use their points even though they had less vacancies than draft picks. I think this move is fine, and probably won't have too much effect as it will be the draft picks at the lower end of the scale that will have to be forfeited.
    2. Taking away the discount was a sly one sentence insert into the article but surely this has the bigger ramifications, especially when they don't mention taking away the same discount for father/son. The discount remains the main lure for the Northern clubs to keep their academies, if this discount if abolished surely clubs would have a serious re-think about investing such a huge amount resources into their academies only for the cream of the crop to be picked off by other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    There are two separate moves afoot here:

1. The article's main point: Clubs can only take as many draft picks as they have list vacancies on draft day. I think last year, the Lions is particular had stockpiled a lot of middling picks and were allowed to use their points even though they had less vacancies than draft picks. I think this move is fine, and probably won't have too much effect as it will be the draft picks at the lower end of the scale that will have to be forfeited.
    2. Taking away the discount was a sly one sentence insert into the article but surely this has the bigger ramifications, especially when they don't mention taking away the same discount for father/son. The discount remains the main lure for the Northern clubs to keep their academies, if this discount if abolished surely clubs would have a serious re-think about investing such a huge amount resources into their academies only for the cream of the crop to be picked off by other clubs.
    Abolishing the discount would effectively kill off the Academy system. It's ridiculous beyond belief we are still having this debate. Why have a system when you tear it down if it has any success?

We'd survive without the discount and we'd just scale back our commitment to the scheme but the effect on the game would be terrible. The only discussion that should be having had is the GWS zone and why they have an AFL heartland whilst ignoring their own backyard

Re the points changes I'm not sure of the exact details but I did feel we all "gamed" the system a bit last year. I'd allow the trading of picks (it would be grossly unfair if we couldn't) but I'd limit the number of points available to the number of live picks the club has at the draft and the points value should be fixed based on the initial draft listing based on home and away position. The idea of trading picks to get more points is not really fair imo so they have a fair point there

Senior Player
    I don't see why the trading for more picks that you don't use to get points is bad.

1) Other clubs were prepared to pay those lower picks worth more points that they could have used themselves for father-son selections or as live picks
    2) When e.g., Sydney used say four picks to draft Mills, all other clubs pretty much moved 1 to 4 spots up the list for each of their next draft selections
    3) We don't stop trading of picks for future picks, players etc., so why for points? E.g., a team can trade pick 2 for three lower picks which they then try to trade away for a good player, but it might not eventuate
    4) There is currently no requirement for clubs to forgo their 4th, 5th etc, picks if they don't have that many vacancies.

Really sounding like making up more rules to curtail the northern clubs. Whilst I really enjoy watching the AFL, it is extremely frustrating to be a Swans supporter when there is so much blatant rules tinkering that disadvantages non Melbourne sides, alongside the umpiring and commentary bias.