Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Watch

I too am looking forward to a triumphant return, but am balancing that hope with knowledge that the game has been evolving without him, and that 4 years out of the game is not a great starting point to work your way into a GF runner up side
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I can't wait even to see him in the NEAFL. If he does make it for round 4 (by no means assured, I wouldn't think) that will be the curtain raiser against the Giants at the SCG!!!
    Just in case you find yourself asking the same questions I did after I posted this:

Q: Was "round 4" AFL round 4 or NEAFL round 4? A: AFL Round 4
    Q: So which would be his potential NEAFL first game? A: NEAFL round 4 (which is AFL round 5) v GWS @ SCG (because we have a bye in the NEAFL AFL round 4). This is great because it is a curtain raiser for the senior teams and you can watch both. I wonder if this played in to the Club's thinking in terms of the timing of when they added AJ to the LTIL? Maybe he really is on track to play NEAFL that day (Saturday 22 April - bookmark it)!

I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    The Age today has AJ possibly playing NEAFL by Round 4:

The forgotten footballers set to make their comebacks in season 2017

"ALEX JOHNSON

It's difficult to write this bloke's name without getting emotional. Having undergone five knee reconstructions, Johnson hasn't played a game since the Swans' 2012 grand final win over Hawthorn, where he was arguably the best player on the ground to half-time. To put that in perspective, current premiership favourites GWS won two games in 2012. Johnson has been placed on the long-term injury list but the Swans are very happy with his rehabilitation. Should be available for selection in the NEAFL by round four. Absolutely in their best 22. "

If so, good news.
    It's hard to imagine that his body would be up to the rigours of even a NEAFL game by then. He's been out of the game for four years. I wasn't expecting him to play NEAFL until mid-late season. I'm tipping a record NEAFL crowd on the day that he does run out there. Personally, I don't think I could watch it. Every twist and turn h makes that game would have me on tender hooks.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It's hard to imagine that his body would be up to the rigours of even a NEAFL game by then. He's been out of the game for four years. I wasn't expecting him to play NEAFL until mid-late season. I'm tipping a record NEAFL crowd on the day that he does run out there. Personally, I don't think I could watch it. Every twist and turn h makes that game would have me on tender hooks.
    "'On tenterhooks' - the meaning and origin of this phrase"

www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-tenterhooks.html

A tenter is a wooden frame, often in the form of a line of fencing, used to hang woollen or linen cloth to prevent it from shrinking as it dries. The tenterhooks are, not surprisingly, the hooks on the tenter used to hold the cloth in place

However I imagine you feel pretty tender if you are hanging on a tenterhook.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    "'On tenterhooks' - the meaning and origin of this phrase"

www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-tenterhooks.html

A tenter is a wooden frame, often in the form of a line of fencing, used to hang woollen or linen cloth to prevent it from shrinking as it dries. The tenterhooks are, not surprisingly, the hooks on the tenter used to hold the cloth in place
    Thanks.

You must of read my mine in one fowl swoop. Give that pedant some additional renumeration.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Thanks.

You must of read my mine in one fowl swoop. Give that pedant some additional renumeration.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Opti-pessi-misti
    Whether on tender hooks or tenter hooks I am with S.S Bleeder, it would be too stressful to watch it.

I will probably be on fish hooks when watching AJ's first game.

fishhok injury to the eyelid of right eye.JPG

This is a technique I acquired from watching Tom Derickx. It's not for everyone, but it's amazing how unsympathetic you become about other people's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I will probably be on fish hooks when watching AJ's first game.

fishhok injury to the eyelid of right eye.JPG

This is a technique I acquired from watching Tom Derickx. It's not for everyone, but it's amazing how unsympathetic you become about other people's problems.
    Ma! I've done it again, ma!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Thanks.

I saw what you did there. Where would the world be though, without us?
    'At one fell swoop' - the meaning and origin of this phrase

www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/at-one-fell-swoop.html

The swoop (or stoop as is sometimes now said) is the rapid descent made by the bird when capturing prey. Shakespeare used the imagery of a hunting bird's 'fell swoop' to indicate the ruthless and deadly attack by Macbeth's agents.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I saw what you did there. Where would the world be though, without us?
    'At one fell swoop' - the meaning and origin of this phrase

www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/at-one-fell-swoop.html

The swoop (or stoop as is sometimes now said) is the rapid descent made by the bird when capturing prey. Shakespeare used the imagery of a hunting bird's 'fell swoop' to indicate the ruthless and deadly attack by Macbeth's agents.
    For those of us who are purely interested in what's happening with A.J. - far better off.