Page 24 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    I know. Hannibal needed to put more pressure on Rome. Amazing effort to go over the Alps and almost save Carthage.

One of the amazing leaders in history.
    Ludwig advised Hannibal to take bicycles instead of elephants, but he didn't listen. Ludwig cycled over the Alps, got to Rome without a problem, painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, and went home to find his house wasn't sacked.

The problem with Hannibal was that he wasn't a good listener. Ludwig told Hannibal that those Pubic Wars were not worth fighting. There were already plenty of pubes in Carthage and there was no reason trying get Rome's pubes as well. Ludwig said "Hanni, why don't you just take your elephant down to the local pube, have a few beers, and forget this crazy idea."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Ludwig advised Hannibal to take bicycles instead of elephants, but he didn't listen. Ludwig cycled over the Alps, got to Rome without a problem, painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, and went home to find his house wasn't sacked.

The problem with Hannibal was that he wasn't a good listener. Ludwig told Hannibal that those Pubic Wars were not worth fighting. There were already plenty of pubes in Carthage and there was no reason trying get Rome's pubes as well. Ludwig said "Hanni, why don't you just take your elephant down to the local pube, have a few beers, and forget this crazy idea."
    Yes, Hannibal should have stuck to a peaceful life of farming and enjoyed the silence of the lambs.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    It's so good to see an injury list with AJ not on it.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Pushing for Selection
    And who else will be fronting their first NEAFL game this weekend to welcome him back?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I was going to say the same. Been a long time.

I'd be disappointed if AJ plays seniors this year.
    Can't see how it could happen. He'd have to really tear it up in the NEAFL and demand that spot, but realistically, from now till the end of the season is gaining match fitness, football smarts and the proper attitude etc.
    Still, if he was brought in for a game this year I wouldn't complain, and go with the romance of it all.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Lets not forget he only played about 4 IIRC before he got selected for the seniors. The little footage I saw of him from the weekend looked like he is in good nick. Maybe a couple more than that, but 2 BOG's will surely do it. Dare to dream.
    Nico, the short highlights may have suggested he was 'in good nick', but it was very clear for those at the ground that he is a long way off being ready to return to AFL footy. He had a couple of excellent moments - the goal he kicked, a nice kick to set up Rose inside 50, a crunching tackle in the 2nd quarter. But in totem, as one would expect, he was relatively quiet and not overly involved in the play - especially taking into account that the Canberra team was well down on troops and as a result well and truly ready for a beating. Hopefully his next game on Saturday will see him a bit more involved, a bit more confident in his body. As I keep saying, baby steps in terms of output and expectations. It'll need a truly remarkable incline in his performance for him to be ready for seniors this year - but who knows what might happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I thought the same thing - awesome outcome
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post

I'd be disappointed if AJ plays seniors this year.
    Wow, harsh on the poor kid.

A hard arse would say AJ has the rest of 2017 to prove he's worth keeping on the list, and therefore a senior recall would be his goal.
    If he's knee is fine, and he's not pushing for selection, you'd have to ask why he is on our list.

The club isnt that hard arse, so likely they will give him 2018, but that would need to be his breakout year. They were patient with Heath James, but once he overcame his injuries, he was given a chance to prove his worth, and he couldnt, so was cut. So their is precedent.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    He did originally get (almost) straight into the seniors and you would have the believe that is what he is aiming for right now.
    The question could be asked who will get back into the Snrs first, Tippo or AJ? ????

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

A hard arse would say AJ has the rest of 2017 to prove he's worth keeping on the list, and therefore a senior recall would be his goal.
    If he's knee is fine, and he's not pushing for selection, you'd have to ask why he is on our list.

The club isnt that hard arse, so likely they will give him 2018, but that would need to be his breakout year. They were patient with Heath James, but once he overcame his injuries, he was given a chance to prove his worth, and he couldnt, so was cut. So their is precedent.
    There is a fair amount of difference between Heath James and AJ - while the multiple injuries bit is a consistent theme between the two, that is about it. Heath James played what about 18 games over 7 or 8 seasons. AJ played 45 in less than 2 seasons before the first knee injury. AJ was proven to well and truly be good enough at the top level - I'm not sure one could ever say that about Heath (though my memory of him was there were clear signs of good levels of ability - just they came with an almost permanent sicknote attached).

There is no doubt Johnson will still be on our list in 2018 in almost every circumstance (the only one one could think of where he wont be is if the non-mentionable was to happen and everyone decided 'enough is enough' - but that is not going to happen!!!) - the club won't have given him almost 4 full seasons to recover and then throw him out on the basis of half a dozen weeks of footy....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    There is a fair amount of difference between Heath James and AJ - while the multiple injuries bit is a consistent theme between the two, that is about it. Heath James played what about 18 games over 7 or 8 seasons. AJ played 45 in less than 2 seasons before the first knee injury. AJ was proven to well and truly be good enough at the top level - I'm not sure one could ever say that about Heath (though my memory of him was there were clear signs of good levels of ability - just they came with an almost permanent sicknote attached).

There is no doubt Johnson will still be on our list in 2018 in almost every circumstance (the only one one could think of where he wont be is if the non-mentionable was to happen and everyone decided 'enough is enough' - but that is not going to happen!!!) - the club won't have given him almost 4 full seasons to recover and then throw him out on the basis of half a dozen weeks of footy....
    James never proved he could play at the Top Level. AJ already has the score on the board, just look at his first half in the 2012 GF and you will understand the Swans Persistence. I don't want to see AJ play senior footy this year and it would be too much especially without a pre season. Just hoping his body can hold up and be ready for a pre season build up in 2018. For what its worth, not seeing AJ on the Injury list feels a bit weird!!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Heath James wasn't a premiership Defender!

Veteran Site Admin
    Disagree on the assessments of James. He didn't achieve as many games but he definitely showed he belonged at the top level.

I don't know that there's a whole amount of difference in the faith shown by the club in the two players. They stuck with Heath a long time too. It's just that the club (and he) finally had to accept he was never going to recover from his various injuries. That day may yet come for AJ. But, for now, it hasn't and we can still keep our fingers crossed that it won't.