Page 32 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Watch

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    He has to have a comeback game.
    Just for the p?r?e?s?s?...
    Fans!
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Nice analysis, liz.
    That's a tautological statement.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Swans make further list changes
    The Sydney Swans have made a further two changes to their playing list for season 2018.

Premiership player Alex Johnson has been told he will not be offered a place on the Club�s primary list next season, however the Swans will strongly consider redrafting Johnson as a rookie subsequent to a medical and conditioning assessment prior to the rookie draft.

The Swans recruited Johnson with pick 57 in the 2010 AFL Draft. It didn�t take the defender long to get a call up to the senior team, making his debut in Round 3 the following year.

Johnson quickly emerged as a reliable rebounding defender, playing 45 games in two years including the Club�s 2012 premiership, before injury struck.

After five successive knee reconstructions and 1736 days on the sidelines, the 25-year-old made a remarkable return to football in Sydney�s NEAFL side this season, however he was unable to break into the senior team.

Sydney Swans Head of Football Tom Harley says it was a difficult decision based on team balance.

�Alex is an extremely popular and respected member of the playing group, and he has worked incredibly hard to get back to where he is,� Harley said.

�While we know Alex is disappointed, he understands the decision and remains driven to play AFL football.

�We will reassess Alex and our list after the AFL National Draft, however in the interim Alex will continue to train with the team.�

Meanwhile first-year rookie Sam Fisher has also been advised he�s no guarantee of retaining his place on the rookie list next season, however he will also continue to train with the team until the upcoming drafts.

The Canberra product joined the Swans as a category b rookie last year and has been developing his craft in the NEAFL.
    Bummer.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

He was great for us but.. Hard decisions need to be and look to have been made. Maybe he can get a gig as our rehab coach.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I'll back him to keep going, work his way through the pre-season and force his way back into the team. I think he has the combination of courage and sheer stubbornness needed to do it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I'll back him to keep going, work his way through the pre-season and force his way back into the team. I think he has the combination of courage and sheer stubbornness needed to do it.
    It does feel harsh to keep him on for 5 seasons and then to delist him after a half season of NEAFL games and with the prospect of a full pre-season. either there is a plan to pick him up as a rookie or there is medical advice that the knee is not ever going to be robust enough to put him in the mix. I hope it's the former.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    It does feel harsh to keep him on for 5 seasons and then to delist him after a half season of NEAFL games and with the prospect of a full pre-season. either there is a plan to pick him up as a rookie or there is medical advice that the knee is not ever going to be robust enough to put him in the mix. I hope it's the former.
    I agree it seems very harsh, but maybe understandable to some degree.

AJ will need to perform at a significantly higher level than he was able to in the NEAFL (despite having some moments) this season to get anywhere near forcing his way back into seniors .

I thought the club would give him one final year on the main list to prove that he can get back to the level required - but moving him to the rookie list (I am very confident we will take him in the rookie draft unless the medical advice says otherwise) provides us with more flexibility in the upcoming draft period/maybe pick up a delisted free agent (though there are none I think would improve our team), and perhaps gives us the space to upgrade a current rookie. If AJ proves in 2018 he still can perform at the level needed to play AFL footy, then he will be back on the main list in 2019.

I will be bitterly disappointed if the club don't pick him up in the rookie draft, unless of course the medical advice suggests there is no hope of him making it back/he should retire.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I think you can read into this that the club doesnt think he will recover to 2012 form.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I agree it seems very harsh, but maybe understandable to some degree.

AJ will need to perform at a significantly higher level than he was able to in the NEAFL (despite having some moments) this season to get anywhere near forcing his way back into seniors .

I thought the club would give him one final year on the main list to prove that he can get back to the level required - but moving him to the rookie list (I am very confident we will take him in the rookie draft unless the medical advice says otherwise) provides us with more flexibility in the upcoming draft period/maybe pick up a delisted free agent (though there are none I think would improve our team), and perhaps gives us the space to upgrade a current rookie. If AJ proves in 2018 he still can perform at the level needed to play AFL footy, then he will be back on the main list in 2019.

I will be bitterly disappointed if the club don't pick him up in the rookie draft, unless of course the medical advice suggests there is no hope of him making it back/he should retire.
    Excellent summary mcs. Fair and realistic.

I think it's a good decision.
    As disappointing as it must have been to hear initially. When you unpack it, getting picked up in the Rookie draft takes the pressure of AJ to have to perform at a really high and intensive level potentially pushing his body too quickly and then re-injuring his knee and completely slamming the door on a comeback.
    Getting a full pre-season into his body and then pushing for selection without the pressure of being on the senior list is a win-win for the club and AJ.
    Providing the medical advice is a positive, then that gives space for the club on the list and AJ a full season to work his way back. Good move!

Veterans List
    Here's some AJ news and it's not great......Minor setback for AJ - sydneyswans.com.au I'm worried for his footy future.....

You're only getting worried for his footy future now?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.