Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd. 5 vs West Coast Eagles

Senior Player

Changes for Rd. 5 vs West Coast Eagles

IN: Stoddart; Melican; Gray
    OUT: Fox; Naismith; Blakey

There is no point persevering with Fox in that running defender role - too many mistakes under pressure and I just don't see the improvement. He reminds me of Rose/Brandon Jack in his apparent fear of taking possession. I also think there is a pretty low ceiling on O'Riordan, although I understand that may be a minority view - too many kicking and awareness errors at the top level. So let's give Stoddart a go - properly, for at least a few weeks. He's been an emergency the last couple of games. I note barracuda's comment that he is not AFL standard, but it's his third year and I think it's time to give him another shot.

Either McCartin or Melican in for Naismith. I went for Melican to play on either Darling or Kennedy, while Rampe takes the other. I can't see Aliir really matching either for body strength. But, we might need him to match up on one if Ryan gets loose against... *checks notes* ... Cunningham(?) and Rampe needs to take Ryan. The absence of a shut-down small defender in the Smith mould is a real liability. Please not Mills, he's a decent loose man type defender, but it's actually kind of painful to watch him defend one-on-one and Ryan will be too quick and the others too big. (Of course, John's comments in today's presser are not cause for optimism although he did readily acknowledge Mills played well in midfield.) I notice Brand is listed as injured for the next two weeks. Looks like we're waiting for O'Connor.

Again, suspect this is a minority view, but Blakey looks really lost and down on confidence at the moment, and in my view needs a spell and a chance to build confidence playing at reserves level. It worked last year. Gray needs to up his work-rate, but at least he's a good kick and smart with the ball (yes, when he gets it).

Stephens to play on Gaff

Got to play a top 5 pick.

Stephens the 1 of 2 top 10 picks
    yet to get a game, the other is from Freo who have played 2 of their3 top ten picks

Veterans List
    Please not Melican. As loose as granny's teeth and gives NO run out of the backline.

Someone needs to come in if Mills is to be allowed to move to the middle. Why not McCartin? Agree about Fox.

Suspended by the MRP
    Out: take your pick - McLean, Blakey, Taylor, Fox, Ronke, McInerney, Hayward, Cunningham

In: anyone who can perform for more than a quarter and a half. and who actually give a damn about the jumper they're wearing and the great club it represents.

Good intro, MattW. And some interesting ideas.

On paper we look outgunned but it's not a bad time to have drawn the Eagles. Maybe their hub-itis will give us a chance. Or maybe they'll finally get their act together.

I don't have many bright ideas about selection. It's hard to judge without being able to watch reserves. Could be good to regain McCartin but I won't be surprised if they spell him another week. Gray seems a likely inclusion although it will mean we're getting shorter and shorter. In fact, if we select as you suggest, won't we only have three players 190+ cm? (Sinclair, McLean & Aliir unless McCartin is available.) Actually, I'm overlooking the addition of Melican, which goes to show why we need him.

I'm not sure what to think about COR. He's such a hard worker. Does that reinforce your point about him having a low ceiling (otherwise wouldn't he be better by now?) or does it suggest he will be able to remedy his deficiencies if given enough opportunity?

Last random thought: it bears remembering that these are strange and difficult times. There are a lot of people who are struggling. Players are not immune. Do we need to make some allowance for this before making long term judgments about their worth? The coaches and welfare staff are fortunately better placed to assess this.

Probably the tallest injury list ever, Mccartin aside everyone is 196cm Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Someone needs to come in if Mills is to be allowed to move to the middle. Why not McCartin? Agree about Fox.
    Just read that article from Longmire about who replaces Mills down back, must be the only coach in the comp worried about losing a lockdown defender instead of a ball winning midfielder

He is our top 3 onballer or our 3rd best defender

Absolute madness

IMHO Mills is not well suited to match either Darling or Kennedy (too small) OR Ryan (too slow). Surely Mills to mid field for this match.

If McCartin is available, it will be interesting to see if he is played down back or in the forward line - good experience if on say Darling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    IMHO Mills is not well suited to match either Darling or Kennedy (too small) OR Ryan (too slow). Surely Mills to mid field for this match.

If McCartin is available, it will be interesting to see if he is played down back or in the forward line - good experience if on say Darling.
    Darling will snap Big Tommy in half

Given how important it is to rebound quickly out of defence, especially when you have an undersized forward line, I feel we need to free Aliir and Rampe from tackling the big KF. Aliir is much better playing loose, intercepting attacking forays and Rampe can be potent with his run and carry, finished off with a penetrating left boot. Plus Aliir then more able to give a chop out in the ruck. Would it not be worth trying 2 of Melican, Brand and Maibaum to match up on Darling and Kennedy? Our back half could look like Melican, Brand (if fit), Aliir, Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham. Mills plays out of the middle, Dawson on a wing / HF.

Ins Melican Brand (Maibaum) McCartain
    Outs Naismith Fox Hayward

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast