Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Watch

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The sad reality is that he will be in rehab next year, hoping to play 2020 at a lower level to get back to form and show he can play at a higher level, which effectively means that his target return to AFL footy would be 2021, at which time he will be 29 yo.
    That's the sad reality he faces.....I don't think it will end well. Game over it seems to me. Gold medal for resilience and inspiration though.

You'd think he would put some feelers out and the lack of any interest will possibly have him lean towards retirement.
    At least he will be able to say he did everything he could.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    I hope he pursues a coaching role at a state league level, then when Rhyce Shaw takes the senior coaching role at North (speculation all mine), he can come on board as an assistant there

Warming the Bench
    Only team I can think of being interested is Gold Coast. Having a senior player with coaching experience to lead a bunch of kids would probably work

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Only team I can think of being interested is Gold Coast. Having a senior player with coaching experience to lead a bunch of kids would probably work

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    There'd be no better person to teach that club about resilience.....boy do they need it!

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    At the risk of being a contrarian, I don't really understand the point of delisting him now. He's been taking up a spot for 6 years. This year he's shown he could play senior footy after 5 knee reconstructions. What's one more? We've gone this far so why not keep going and see how he goes after just one more?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    At the risk of being a contrarian, I don't really understand the point of delisting him now. He's been taking up a spot for 6 years. This year he's shown he could play senior footy after 5 knee reconstructions. What's one more? We've gone this far so why not keep going and see how he goes after just one more?
    I think it has to do with the change in the rookie rules for next year. Rookies can now play without being upgraded I believe. Someone else might be able to explain it better.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I think it has to do with the change in the rookie rules for next year. Rookies can now play without being upgraded I believe. Someone else might be able to explain it better.
    Yes I agree the changed rookie rules probably are an important part of the decision. Swans only run with a 38-man list anyway, these rules allow them the chance to choose senior team every week on best available basis. Including when one of the top players out with a short-term injury. To give a contract to a player out for the year with no certainty of making it back would be choosing to start the season at a competitive disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes I agree the changed rookie rules probably are an important part of the decision. Swans only run with a 38-man list anyway, these rules allow them the chance to choose senior team every week on best available basis. Including when one of the top players out with a short-term injury. To give a contract to a player out for the year with no certainty of making it back would be choosing to start the season at a competitive disadvantage.
    I personally don’t think he’s the worst player on the list, even waiting out an ACL. And at least (up until his delisting) he wanted to be with the Swans (yes, I’m looking at you Mr Newman!).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    That was the case this year though, right? I agree it adds to it, particularly since, unlike this year, he won't be back until the *end* of next year.

The whole thing is an awful business. It was a massive moment for the club and Alex. Galvanising. Inspiring. A month later he's done another ACL, the club has an impossible decision, and he's cut and seems a bit bitter. That can't help but knock spirits a bit.

I agree with those above that this is an explicable pragmatic decision. There was already a slight absurdity to keeping a person on a list for six years without playing. Given his late return next year, he wouldn't play until 2020.

Incidentally, i thought this incident reflected a concerning naivety from Harley. In his first interview after Alex's injury, Harley said something like that 'if I know Alex, he'll seek to get back'. It seemed a rash thing to say before they'd worked it out. Longmire's response was as you'd expect, something along the lines of 'we'll wait until Alex recovers, discuss it and work thorough it with him then'. I have a reasonably strong reservation Harley doesn't have the instincts or gumption required of the CEO of an AFL club. Very happy to be wrong.

I thought Harley’s comments were fine - he is an excellent communicator. That line was also just one of many that explained the process that both parties would go through.

I am not sure how he will go as CEO, that is a very different role to take on. But good luck to him.

The club made the only choice it could with AJ. 2020 is a long time to wait and see - again. He has shown incredible resilience and patience. The club has also been very loyal and patient. I wish him all the best.

Tonight on Footy Classified, Caroline Wilson was of the opinion that Alex Johnson should retire questioning how many more knee reconstructions his body can endure. She also expressed disappointment that Alex knocked back a job offer at the Swans & being slightly bitter to a club that has supported him for so long. Don't agree with the "slightly bitter" bit. More like disappointment which is understandable. Would like to think Alex will be welcomed back to the club with open arms if he changes ihis mind in the future to take up a position.