Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wonder why the Swans didn't enter a women's team

Wonder why the Swans didn't enter a women's team

Cost perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Cost perhaps?
    Probably.

Wonder why the Swans didn't enter a women's team

They addressed the issue earlier in the year. So it'll be on their website but if I remember correctly it was to do with costs etc.

http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news/201...-nwl-statement

I think it runs deeper.
    Always nice to be one of the first in, but I'm not sold on the Women's teams being sustainable.
    I hope they turn out to be, but IMO this is unlikely.

Of course if it all doesn't work, the AFL will likely release rescue packages for the teams that did participate anyway....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Given how the licences panned out, it's fair to assume that all of Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth were only ever going to get one team only. It's not a long stretch to think the Swans discussed it with GWS and when they said they were able to accommodate a womans team and they were up for it, it made sense to pull out early and not waste time and resources chasing something they were not 100% committed to with no guarantee of success...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Given how the licences panned out, it's fair to assume that all of Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth were only ever going to get one team only. It's not a long stretch to think the Swans discussed it with GWS and when they said they were able to accommodate a womans team and they were up for it, it made sense to pull out early and not waste time and resources chasing something they were not 100% committed to with no guarantee of success...
    I reckon this is more likely what it was about; the GWS bid was just going to be stronger, a joint venture seemed pointless, and therefore better to wait until the next round of licences are available.

Quote Originally Posted by CKunde View Post
    I reckon this is more likely what it was about; the GWS bid was just going to be stronger, a joint venture seemed pointless, and therefore better to wait until the next round of licences are available.
    And I think this is an opportunity for GWS to get it right re community engagement, they ballsed it up terribly five years ago with that muppet Sheeds. They now have a great opportunity to get in with this and I think they may well get it right.

I suspect the AFL will effectively underwrite this comp, and that's fine by me, but I doubt if these teams will ever be really attractive commercially. And I also think Sydney will probably only ever be able to support one team though time will tell on that front

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    And I think this is an opportunity for GWS to get it right re community engagement, they ballsed it up terribly five years ago with that muppet Sheeds. They now have a great opportunity to get in with this and I think they may well get it right.

I suspect the AFL will effectively underwrite this comp, and that's fine by me, but I doubt if these teams will ever be really attractive commercially. And I also think Sydney will probably only ever be able to support one team though time will tell on that front
    I'm pretty sure the AFL has committed to effectively funding the first year (pending any sponsor support, of course). Commercial viability will be interesting, as 7 and Fox are talking 1 game televised a week. In an 8 week comp, I don't think that is enough. That's a lot less televised games than 7mate had for the LFL a couple years back.

In terms of growth, it's hard to tell now if Sydney will be able to support more than one team. My expectation is we will, given the ridiculous participation growth, but we will see. There are plenty of players around to support multiple teams, just not that many from NSW/ACT. Testing data and the recent exhibition games suggest we have 10-15 players aged 18-30 that would be in the top 100 in Victoria. But we will get there very quickly with the U18s we have coming through.

I reckon Tasmania will be likely to get their own team, so it's possible is that future licences won't be limited to current AFL clubs, like the W-League.

The most exciting thing, from my perspective, is that there are genuine Western Sydney players that would be among those elite players. I think this is GWS' biggest opportunity with regards to the community engagement side of it.

Draft Renee Tomkins (Penrith/Auburn) and Mai Nguyen (UNSW), who are already superstars, and why not list Margot Vella (Maroubra/Auburn), Haneen Zreika (Auburn) & Angela Priftis (Auburn) who are up and coming U18s, while they are at it. All born and bred Western Sydney residents, two of them U18s All-Australians.

Kicking off the Western Sydney side with a bevy of genuine Western Sydney players has to be a good thing. No one will expect GWS to be as competitive as the Victorian sides for the first few years. Get the young players in the system, show the commitment to the community and secure future competitiveness at the same time.

Why would they want one? Does anyone actually think it will get crowds/rate on tv?

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Why would they want one? Does anyone actually think it will get crowds/rate on tv?
    A couple of the womens games have rated better than AFL games in the same week.

Link?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast