Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 14: Sydney Swans Reserves v NT Thunder @ SCG

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Tremendous game from Aliir. His improvement this year has been impressive. I'd have no hesitation slotting him into our back six straight away and would have him ahead of Ted now.

Also an excellent game from Papley. We'll see how Benny does in the seniors today, because Papley looks ready to resume his place in the seniors.

Foote is another that continues his good run of form. Kicked a couple of nice goals. Looks AFL capable.

Naismith is probably our best ruckman, perhaps with the exception of Tippett. I think a Naismith-Tippo combo would be our strongest if both are fit in August. I'd like to see Naismith given a shot against the taller and more mobile Geelong ruckmen next week.

Several other solid performances including Newman, Leo, COR, Dawson and Harry C. Hiscox and BJ got plenty of the ball, but had a fair number of sloppy ball use moments.

McFadden the best of the Toppies.
    Yes, Aliir looked quite imperious today. In a funny way, it seems that a bit of extra confidence, has given him a bit of extra pace. I guess it's because he is more trusting of his own decision making and therefore going at it harder. I've also liked Foote every time that I've seen him this year. Certainly adds a bit of depth to our inside midfield stocks.

Allir did some great stuff but still had some 'what the' moments as well. He is improving every time i see him and i like how he takes the game on.

A really impressive second half where we utterly dominated a disappointing nt thunder. Naismith good in the ruck but i was a bit disappointed with him around the ground.

Veterans List
    Did either side score?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    FT Swans 19.13 127 @NTThunderFC 9.7 61 Goals XRichards 3 Dawson Naismith Papley Foote Wilson McFadden 2 Hiscox Newman Galloway Baker

Disposals Hiscox 29 Jack 27 Newman Aliir 26 Cunningham 24 O'Riordan 21 Dawson Foote 19 Papley Murray McFadden 17 Leonardis 16 XRichards 15 Wilson 13 Baker 12 TRichards Naismith Reinhard 10 Baron-Hay 9 Veale 7 Galloway 4 Derickx 3

Veterans List
    Thanks Ugg.

Best players: A. Aliir, J. Foote, J. Hiscox, C. O''Riordan, B. Jack, T. Leonardis

Veteran Site Admin
    It was a very enjoyable game to watch. The Thunder came out all guns blazing and their pressure was excellent. It took a lot of the Swans time to adjust, as it's not usual to get quite that level of pressure at NEAFL level. The Swans won their fair share of possession in the first half but there was a lot of sloppy disposal that stunted their efforts.

The Thunder weren't able to maintain their pressure after half-time, and it became a completely different game.

Papley sat out the first half I think - someone might correct me on that, but I don't recall seeing him out there. He added some real class and composure to the forward line after half time. As he's shown in the senior team, he's not a bad overhead mark for a small bloke, and he took a couple of terrific grabs early on. He kicked a couple himself but brought team mates into things as well, setting up other opportunities.

Aliir and Leonardis were amongst the best in the first half when things were a little tough going. Aliir backed himself in contests, but did let himself down with a few of his disposals. Leonardis was ready to take the game on at every opportunity, and used his pace and evasive manoeuvres to good effect. I don't think we'll see him at senior level this year, but he's clearly improved as the season has gone on, and looks a likely type.

O'Riordan and Newman got better as the game went on. Newman, in particular, seemed to find things a little tough early on but was very good after half-time. I noticed O'Riordan in the centre square at bounce ups in the second half, which gives some idea of just how quickly he's tracking.

I like Richards (X) in the forward line. But then I think he's played well as a defender too, and I'm a little surprised he's not had a few more senior opportunities over the last year or so. I have no idea where he sits in the clubs' plans, but he's a pretty reasonable player and too good to discard for a team with few developing talls (at either end).

Naismith and Foote were handy contributors too, though Foote contrived to miss running into an open goal, and then converted a much harder shot from the boundary. Naismith presented well up forward but his conversion was just so-so.

I think Papley sat out the first quarter. He really took the game by the scruff of the neck in the third quarter kicking two and setting up three others including two in a row for McFadden. Noticeably Horse said in the seniors after match presso that they would look at whether he has played enough minutes at NEAFL to be considered for seniors.

Derickx had significant work done on his ankle? in the second quarter. Started the third quarter at FF but gave up after that and watched from the bench in his tracksuit alongside Marsh and Reid. Naismith had a good battle with the NT ruckman, honours about even I thought. Galloway played a bit further up the ground than usual in a bid to get him more in the game instead of being isolated at FF

Xavier looks really natural as a forward. He moves really well, leads into the right places and like all good forwards not shy in having a shot at goal. I'm aware he played forward as a junior so it isn't totally out of nowhere but nevertheless is still impressive

Ted played in the helmet and for most of the game was on the shorter Ewing, one out at FB, with Aliir on the taller Lewis. The swap came much later in the game when the game was well and truly won. Aliir is very eye catching especially with ball in hand - quick off the mark and likes taking on tacklers and breaking the lines. Defensively very good in reading the ball in flight and coming over the top or across as third man in. Still think there is a question mark over his one on one defending

Newman is consistently playing well having added a bit of physical edge to his game and if he doesn't get a chance soon I can see another club swooping in Biggs-style and poaching him

Foote another solid game in the middle. 10 tackles in the first half sums up his work rate. Jack plenty of it again but also again quite wasteful at times with long blind bombs forward. Hiscox didn't seem to have anyone for him for long periods and benefited with space afforded to him.

Murray playing better football in his new role in defence. Being so far away from goals has led to him playing a more team orientated game. Possesses leg speed, he ran down one of the Thunder small forwards with not much effort.

O'Riordan started in defence, moved up to the wing then spent most of the second half in the midfield. Don't think he has the close in skills yet to be a midfielder but must be part of the reason he's getting minutes there

Leonardis is my fave at the moment. Just love the way he attacks the ball, beats tackles and like most left footers looks so impressive when he launches long kicks. Weak point at the moment is his tackle efficiency. Needs to get stronger and get better technique - misses quite a few he should take
    Last edited by ugg; 2nd July 2016 at 10:45 PM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks ugg, usual impeccable prep and comments later, also liz and other comments.

Startling to see Hiscox top the disposals and mentioned in despatches. Encouraging to know the next level of talent is coming on.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Great 2nd half from the boys. Newman really needs to be upgraded! We need another calm distributor in the back half which would release Mills or Jones up the ground.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks Ugg and Liz for your comments.

I had nearly given up on Xavier, but he's become a different player since being moved forward. The only knock on him that I have is that he can be a bit nonchalant and sloppy with his disposal, particularly by hand, but it's not that bit a point. It would be nice to have another legitimate tall target up forward to take the pressure off buddy. The little guys are not quite scoring enough. Not sure if Xav is the one, but he's an option.

I was critical of Aliir's selection in the draft mainly because of his poor one on one defending. He's much improved in that regard, but certainly has a way to go. If he can bring the sort of energy to the backline that he shows in the reserves it could make our defence so much more dynamic. It's great if you can have a big defender run off his man and get the counterattack moving quickly. Our defenders are good at defending, but we struggle getting that quick rebound counterattack and often just kick it back to the opposition. Including Aliir in the senior side could have a knock on effect of freeing up Rampe, Mills and Jones for more attacking roles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast