Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 15 MDT Sydney V Western Bulldogs. SCG 16.35pm

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I just watched the last two minutes again. He turned back because there was nothing on ahead of him and kicking it then would have also resulted in it going straight to a Bulldogs player. He turned around then kicked over his shoulder probably hoping someone would have made their way there but to no avail

The bigger mistake was Johannisen marking it. He was standing right next to Bontempelli when he marked it then ran into space quickly. No one noticed until it was too late. That was the fatal error

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Who'd complain about winning FFS? Stupid comment.
    I know we lost and temperature run high but maybe use your eyes to read what i was replying to before mouthing off

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The customers walked out of the Riser in a subdued mood tonight. How did we lose that eminently winnable game?

Not all Jake's fault by any means, or Towers' for that matter; inaccuracy had a lot to do with it. Nor were the umpires at fault, apart from the Minson/Hanneberry blue (which admittedly would have won us the game, all other things being equal). Tippo's absence really hurt us; Nankervis is an honest hardworking player and I'm pleased we have him to fall back on, but Tippett's presence would have made a different game.

Still, there were things to be pleased with. The youngsters are doing well and gaining valuable experience. I particularly liked Rose's speed and determination to have a go, Hewett did some good things, Mills continues to develop, Towers has enough skill but needs more confidence which I suspect comes with more experience and astute coaching, Heeney is so good he is double tagged (why could we not make something out of that?). Lance had a good game, but his delivery when playing up the ground is not always what it should be. McVeigh continues to work his way back to its normal high standard.

We can and will do better.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    When Jake had the ball the Bulldogs had 4 players on their defensive side of our players on the wing. Mcrae, Hunter, Wood, Adams and Suckling in the centre and we had Sinclair slowly jogging around.

Why do we have all our forwards within 20m of the ball. Were is our bail out kick receiver/target? Just someone to compete, but we don't.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    That was the fatal error
    Alternatively, the team should never have found itself in that position. The Dogs played a good game, but the Swans really should have won. The way they dominated out of the middle in the final quarter when the midfield lifted its intensity shone a light on their lack of intensity in the third quarter. And the final entry the Swans had going forward, which resulted in a lame rushed behind was poor too. They really needed to be more patient and create a genuine goal scoring opportunity.

We really missed Tippett out there today - a genuine marking option with some class. Sinclair and Toby battled away but there's a reason why Tippo warrants the contract he has. Other than Buddy, our forward line comprised mostly inexperienced, small to medium sized players and we needed a genuine tall target other than Buddy.

We didn't play well enough to win. We got the result we deserved.

Senior Player
    Very frustrating as we could have won that. Lack of effort and concentration in the final minute - no one leading for Lloyd, and no one covering/watching the space/loose player in after Bont took the mark.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    We didn't play well enough to win. We got the result we deserved.
    Dogs were better for longer, no doubt. Our forward line structure was shocking for most of the day. Just thought Bud might lift them over the line, but defending less than a goal for 5 minutes is always a dicey business. Especially when someone inexplicably kicks backwards 25 m into the opponents 50.

Disappointing because we so nearly could have sneaked a win, but just too many bad decisions today. Think there could be a few nervous players next selection round.

Veterans List
    Our set shot goal kicking was poor, whereas they converted. Probably the difference.

McGlynn is surely cooked; 7 kicks, 2 hand passes and a couple of smothers. He has lost a lot of pace. He had a chance to break clear into an open goal in the last minutes but couldn't get the wheels moving.
    Rohan; he continues to disappoint. 6 kicks, 1 hand ball, 2 tackles. Howler of a game. He looked lethargic. Is he playing to be drafted? The Geelong rumour is around. Very poor effort.
    Heeney; 19yo, but he had 3 kicks and 1 handball. Certainly not performing as well as Rose.
    Rose and Hewett Impressed again in patches but need consistency. That's the inexperience factor. Hewett holds onto the footy for a second option and gets caught. Frustrating that he doesn't take the first option. Too much finessing.
    LLoyd; plenty has been said. My problem with him is that when he has the footy he is indecisive. Takes a mark and holds on to it for a month, gets a free and does the same when the situations cries out for moving it on quickly. Gets plenty of the pill but squanders it.
    Mills is a star and needs to move into the midfield.
    The defence played a great game.
    Franklin was super. Just a couple of vital misses.

I don't understand blaming Lloyd for what happened during that last minute of play when there were so many other reasons for the loss. There were plenty of mistakes made by lots of players during the game and we probably should have put the game away during the last 10 minutes when we were dominant. I thought we let them break too many tackles when we should have stopped them in their tracks.

Sinclair and Nanka took 1 mark between them for the game against a team that's not particularly tall. I thought Roughead had a big influence and beat them both, including taking 4 important marks. Time to bring Naismith in for one of them, probably Nanka.

McGlynn tries hard, but I think his career looks to be coming to a close. Let's bring Papley in next week in his place.

I know Heeney is the golden child, but he's been in a serious form slump and a short stint in the reserves wouldn't hurt. He's not doing much in the seniors anyway. We might even try Abe Davis to give us a bit more height and bulk up forward.

Aliir had a super game in the reserves and should come into the senior side. We can move Mills into the midfield. Mills has been great, but shouldn't have to find himself matched up against a powerful player like Stringer. That cost us too.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Dogs were better for longer, no doubt. Our forward line structure was shocking for most of the day. Just thought Bud might lift them over the line, but defending less than a goal for 5 minutes is always a dicey business. Especially when someone inexplicably kicks backwards 25 m into the opponents 50.

Disappointing because we so nearly could have sneaked a win, but just too many bad decisions today. Think there could be a few nervous players next selection round.
    They beat us in 2 bursts. The 2nd quarter with 3 consecutive goals and 3rd quarter with a run of 7. You have to be able to stop a run on like those. The rest of the game we controlled.

I thought towers played well. He was involved in the 3 goals that got us back in the lead. Made a few poor decisions but that comes from being in and out of the team.

Mcveigh wasnt bad but he is very poor one on one. When the ball goes to him one out i just pray he breaks even.

Agree on mcglynn. I think papley has moved past him.

We desperately need to be less buddy focused.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast