Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd 16 v Geelong

SLIDING DOORS:

Even as I type, I realise this pointless, but humour me anyway. Imagine if Goodsey wasn't booed into retirement - his form at the end was still ok if you didn't want a match winner, just a handy contributor, who demanded a key defender. If he signed on for one more year, with the understanding he wouldn't likely play every week as the Club transitioned it's list. How handy might he be replacing Tippett as a tall forward to compliment Buddy? Pointless, I know. Was just musing.

Senior Player
    Season on the line now so there is no room for sentimentality but by the same token we can't unsettle the side by making too many changes. I Agee with what has been said and only Naismith has the height, leap and athleticism to go with Smith although this will only be his third game so that's a worry. Nankervis would have to be the one to make way because at least Sinclair has some value around the ground.

We must get Aliir into the side because Geelong are simply huge all over the ground, but the question is for whom. Laidlaw? That would possibly backfire given Laidlaw ' talent in the air.

Wracked my brain as to whom you replace and even thought that you could play him in the ruck instead of Naismith. Hmmmm

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Warming the Bench
    I'm sticking to my earlier post - no change. If Tippett &/or Reid were fit, definitely in - but they are not.
    This is a crunch game for us - which, unfortunately I think we'll lose. The only hope we have is a big-time/gutsy effort from all the players.
    After this game, win or lose, re-assess their performance & act/axe accordingly, with the future in mind.

IN : Papley

OUT : Towers... I can't get past his untimely duck.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    No way in the world should we be replacing Rohan - he's one of the few players who can make a difference. Against the Dogs he had an impressive start in the forward line before being shifted down inside defensive 50, where he vanished.

Great leap and grab, extremely quick, and lives for forward pressure. We need to put him forward and leave him forward.
    Completely agree. That Hawthorn game where he kicked 3 goals sealed the deal for me. A forward and only a forward. Since Towers has come into the team he has drifted alot to that spare man in defence role and become ineffectual. Due to team structures and balance, I don't believe you can play Towers and Rohan in the same team. Given a choice I would pick Rohan as he kicks more goals, applies more defensive pressure and seems to work well with Buddy.

Ins: Papley, Naismith, Allir
    Outs: McGlynn, Nankervis, Towers

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Completely agree. That Hawthorn game where he kicked 3 goals sealed the deal for me. A forward and only a forward. Since Towers has come into the team he has drifted alot to that spare man in defence role and become ineffectual. Due to team structures and balance, I don't believe you can play Towers and Rohan in the same team. Given a choice I would pick Rohan as he kicks more goals, applies more defensive pressure and seems to work well with Buddy.

These are the best changes me thinks

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Rumour is Geelong are looking into Rohan. Hope he stays.
    Which is exactly why Rohan will fire on Friday night

Warming the Bench
    The ruck problem - can Sinclair and Nankervis compete / run with Smith, Rhys Stanley and Blicavs - I doubt it. If Naismith is more mobile than Nankervis why not give him a run.
    A few on here have mentioned that McGlynn looks to be cooked - bring in Papley.

Heeny is not doing well as a midfielder so why not use him as the crumbing forward - working of Buddy. They seem to work well together.

Towers: I'd leave him in. Without Sam Reid we have no match up for Blicavs.

Defenders: if Laidler is not 100% he should be omitted. When fit, he's a pretty good player but he's ineffective if slightly off his game

Outs: McGlynn, Nankervis, Heeny
    Ins: Papley, Naismith, Aliir

Mills or Jones into the midfield.

6 day turnaround, Geelong 2 weeks off, the game is at Geelong. I'm not confident about winning this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    The ruck problem - can Sinclair and Nankervis compete / run with Smith, Rhys Stanley and Blicavs - I doubt it. If Naismith is more mobile than Nankervis why not give him a run.
    A few on here have mentioned that McGlynn looks to be cooked - bring in Papley.

Heeny is not doing well as a midfielder so why not use him as the crumbing forward - working of Buddy. They seem to work well together.

Towers: I'd leave him in. Without Sam Reid we have no match up for Blicavs.

Defenders: if Laidler is not 100% he should be omitted. When fit, he's a pretty good player but he's ineffective if slightly off his game

Outs: McGlynn, Nankervis, Heeny
    Ins: Papley, Naismith, Aliir

Mills or Jones into the midfield.

6 day turnaround, Geelong 2 weeks off, the game is at Geelong. I'm not confident about winning this game.
    One thing in our favour - Geelong's record coming off the bye is as bad as ours! In fact the only time we ever win coming off the bye is when we play them.
    Last edited by bungwahl; 6th July 2016 at 03:28 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Out: Dry weather
    In: Wet weather

Simmonds Stadium has already advised patrons that the car parks at the ground will be closed on Friday night due to the anticipated inclement weather...

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Out: Dry weather
    In: Wet weather

Simmonds Stadium has already advised patrons that the car parks at the ground will be closed on Friday night due to the anticipated inclement weather...
    That may actually be good news, as we have had plenty of practice (and success) in the wet this year.

I liked this, from Flying South, above:

In my view, Towers might be able to play most teams and succeed but in the tough games against very good opponents, I don't trust him. I think of the 2014 grand final for example, and I imagine he would have in the band of players that were easily swept aside. We have lost of couple of games in due to a similar kind of softness this year, and we need to pick players who can be trusted to stand up. We know he isn't one. I think it's time to move on for good.

It feels like Ben McGlynn has hit that wall where he is perpetually a step behind, knows it, and is panicking about it, leading to bad decisions when he does get the ball. Again, we can't afford to carry players like that.

I saw the post that Jordan Foote was upgraded to the senior list. I'm a bit surprised they upgraded anyone at this time, but I thought they would upgrade Newman before Foote. I think Jordan has played very well this year, particularly in the past month, but he's played almost exclusively in the midfield where we already have a lot of coverage. Maybe he will be the travelling emergency this week. He could conceivably fill that outside running midfielder played by Lloyd, or perhaps the spot vacated by Cunningham. Maybe Towers will get the chop for not covering Johannisen in that last play of the game. I'm not sure if it was his man.

Selection will be interesting this week.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast