Thread: Coaching the AFL Women's Teams

Coaching the AFL Women's Teams

The first thread in this Women's AFL forum unfortunately deteriorated into a negative "who's interested in women playing footy" put-down. I'm very pleased to see that Paul Roos is very interested in the women's game and has expressed some interest in coaching Melbourne's women's team once his tenure as senior coach of the men concludes at the end of this season.

�It�s a fascinating stage in football because of the inclusiveness. There�s a lot of opportunities and I absolutely love watching the girls. What they bring to the game � with their passion, excitement and standard of football � it�s going to be fantastic.�

Paul Roos says he�d be interested in coaching Melbourne�s women�s team

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Agreed Meg. Unfortunate that it did so.

If anyone is capable of the job, it's Roos. Failing that, Sheedy (God forbid). Both have proven they can shape more than just the team's ability to win games.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Surely Michelle Cowan is a certainty for the Melbourne job? I know there is talk of her going back to WA full time, but I can't see Melbourne letting her go like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CKunde View Post
    Surely Michelle Cowan is a certainty for the Melbourne job? I know there is talk of her going back to WA full time, but I can't see Melbourne letting her go like that.
    It was announced last week that Cowan has accepted an offer from Fremantle, which allows her to stay in Perth with her family.

"Fremantle have convinced in-demand trailblazer coach Michelle Cowan to leave Melbourne in a big blow to the bitterly disappointed Demons who were building a women's team around her.
    Forcing an unwanted coaching search at Melbourne, it is the most significant poaching yet in the AFL's new female league but based solely on Cowan's family circumstances."

Read more: Coach coup: Melbourne's loss, Docker gain with pioneer Michelle Cowan crossing to Freo
    Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    It was announced last week that Cowan has accepted an offer from Fremantle, which allows her to stay in Perth with her family.

"Fremantle have convinced in-demand trailblazer coach Michelle Cowan to leave Melbourne in a big blow to the bitterly disappointed Demons who were building a women's team around her.
    Forcing an unwanted coaching search at Melbourne, it is the most significant poaching yet in the AFL's new female league but based solely on Cowan's family circumstances."

Read more: Coach coup: Melbourne's loss, Docker gain with pioneer Michelle Cowan crossing to Freo
    Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
    Wow! I missed this news completely.

This is an huge win for the Freo team! With this news and the impressive WA results at Nationals for the last couple years, I'm expecting them to be the top side in 2017.

To date three clubs have named coaches for their AFL Women's teams.

Brisbane Lions: Craig Starcevich (Collingwood premiership player, AFL Qld female football high performance coach, former coach Dogs' women's team, past high performance manager Lions' men's team).

Carlton: Damien Keeping (precious positions as coach Western Bulldogs women's side, assistant coach of the VWFL women's academy, senior assistant coach AFL Victoria metro youth girls team).

Fremantle: Michelle Cowan (2016 development coach Melbourne's men's team, 2013 head coach Melbourne's women's team, coach WAFL South Fremantle and West Perth, former state cricketer and golfer).

Women's league coaches revealed: Dockers confirm Cowan - AFL.com.au

And in another positive for women's football, Holden has restructured its sponsorship agreement with Collingwood following the sexism row involving Eddie McGuire. More than half of Holden's sponsorship money will now be directed to Collingwood's new women's team and to community programs.

Sponsor changes Pies deal in light of McGuire comments - AFL.com.au

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    And in another positive for women's football, Holden has restructured its sponsorship agreement with Collingwood following the sexism row involving Eddie McGuire. More than half of Holden's sponsorship money will now be directed to Collingwood's new women's team and to community programs.

That's good news indeed Meg. Holden MD Mark Bernhard's statement is very telling. I hope Eddie has well and truly learnt his lesson.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

This is awesome, and highlights the transformative processes that can take place through women's footy.

"GREATER Western Sydney has named former Sydney Swans player Tim Schmidt as its women�s league coach.

The 30-year-old Schmidt has been working with AFL NSW/ACT as female football high-performance coach and has been instrumental in the launch of the first female AFL academies in Canberra, Wagga Wagga, Sydney and Newcastle.

Schmidt played 17 games for the Swans in an injury-interrupted six-season career."

Women's league coaches revealed: Ex-Swan fior GWS - AFL.com.au