Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 15: Canberra Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Manuka Oval

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Best Players: H. Cunningham, B. McGlynn, J. Foote, T. Nankervis, J. Laidler, L. Melican

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, thanks for your efforts MCS. And just out of idle curiosity, is anyone else barracking for Collingwood at the moment?
    Yes I was barracking for Collingwood...I feel dirty .

For those who saw the game, what did Melican do to get in our best? I noticed he only had a few possessions, so he must have done something else to impress. Happy to see that he did get recognition for whatever it was because he shows signs of talent that could be developed, and a KPP sized player with a bit of pace at that.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I know the opposition was weak but sounds like we have some difficult list management problems at years end with a number of players showing real promise this year. Rhyce Shaw as coach seems to be working wonders.

Thanks for the commentary mcs, appreciate your time, cheer cheer
    I definitely think we have some serious list management problems at the end of the year - but for a good reason for once! There are guys running round in ressies that I have no doubt are fairly close to being ready for senior footy, and of course that's without thinking about those with AFL experience in there as well.

It certainly was a good first half performance today - less so after the break, but the game was won comfortably by then.

I thought it was a pretty even performance across the ground, but the guys who did some nice stuff that really stood out to me were:
    - Dawson: presented a really nice target up forward, took a could of good grabs and kicked a well deserved 3 goals. His goal at the beginning of the 2nd was a highlight, showing good acceleration to make some really good space then kicking nicely and getting a nice high bounce to take it over a despairing defender near the goal line.
    - Foote: Busy all day, both up forward and in the guts. He has something about him that I really like, and a good work rate as well. He impressed me again and I can see why we rewarded him with a senior list upgrade. Would like to think he may get a chance to debut in the AFL before the season is out.
    - Melican: Mentioned him a couple of times in the comments I made - he did some neat things defensively, I thought he did ok.
    -Newman: Really marshalled the backline nicely, generally used the ball well and did some good stuff. Nice goal as well. He is one we may struggle to hang on longer term if he can't force his way into the top 22, as I do think he looks AFL ready.
    - Murray: Dropped in and out of the game, but showed some promise up forward, and did some nice stuff on the lead.
    - O'Riordan: A little quieter today, but he has something about him. A bit of pace, some good nous to find the footy, and his kicking is not bad for someone that has come to the game so late. I really like the look of him.

Out of the experienced/recently dropped guys, tbh I didn't think any of them were outstanding and really yelling 'me me me' for a recall. Laidler was his efficient self and played well and would soon be ready to come back in if injury strikes or they want to change the balance of the top 22 defence. McGlynn and Harry were both named in the best, but to me neither really took the game by the scruff of the neck. McGlynn did some good stuff but his use of the ball was still a bit all over the place, which Harry probably was more impressive but didn't scream 'you must recall me either'. Nankervis did well in the ruck today as well.

All in all a very pleasant afternoon at the footy in some decent sun for once for Canberra in winter
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I definitely think we have some serious list management problems at the end of the year - but for a good reason for once! There are guys running round in ressies that I have no doubt are fairly close to being ready for senior footy, and of course that's without thinking about those with AFL experience in there as well.

It certainly was a good first half performance today - less so after the break, but the game was won comfortably by then.

I thought it was a pretty even performance across the ground, but the guys who did some nice stuff that really stood out to me were:
    - Dawson: presented a really nice target up forward, took a could of good grabs and kicked a well deserved 3 goals. His goal at the beginning of the 2nd was a highlight, showing good acceleration to make some really good space then kicking nicely and getting a nice high bounce to take it over a despairing defender near the goal line.
    - Foote: Busy all day, both up forward and in the guts. He has something about him that I really like, and a good work rate as well. He impressed me again and I can see why we rewarded him with a senior list upgrade. Would like to think he may get a chance to debut in the AFL before the season is out.
    - Melican: Mentioned him a couple of times in the comments I made - he did some neat things defensively, I thought he did ok.
    -Newman: Really marshalled the backline nicely, generally used the ball well and did some good stuff. Nice goal as well. He is one we may struggle to hang on longer term if he can't force his way into the top 22, as I do think he looks AFL ready.
    - Murray: Dropped in and out of the game, but showed some promise up forward, and did some nice stuff on the lead.
    - O'Riordan: A little quieter today, but he has something about him. A bit of pace, some good nous to find the footy, and his kicking is not bad for someone that has come to the game so late. I really like the look of him.

Out of the experienced/recently dropped guys, tbh I didn't think any of them were outstanding and really yelling 'me me me' for a recall. Laidler was his efficient self and played well and would soon be ready to come back in if injury strikes or they want to change the balance of the top 22 defence. McGlynn and Harry were both named in the best, but to me neither really took the game by the scruff of the neck. McGlynn did some good stuff but his use of the ball was still a bit all over the place, which Harry probably was more impressive but didn't scream 'you must recall me either'. Nankervis did well in the ruck today as well.

All in all a very pleasant afternoon at the footy in some decent sun for once for Canberra in winter
    The year end will be very interesting indeed.

Foote, Papley and Marsh you would think will be upgraded. Newman has a lot of fans here too and you'd hate to see all that development work go to another club.

If we list two and upgrade four then we need to de-list six players. Four stand out for me - Xav, Ted, TDx and Hiscox.

Perhaps with the new CBA we can afford to expand our list from 38 to 40? We then get a brand new batch of rookies to work on, with O'Riordan being a special to be upgraded next year.

I imagine a lot will depend on whether we feel the need to recruit a KPD and I think that may well come down to whether we lose Mitchell or decide to trade Towers. With AA's development, Rampe playing the KPD role well, Talia to return and the Reid option part of me is wondering if we may not be addressing our defensive stocks internally

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    For those who saw the game, what did Melican do to get in our best? I noticed he only had a few possessions, so he must have done something else to impress. Happy to see that he did get recognition for whatever it was because he shows signs of talent that could be developed, and a KPP sized player with a bit of pace at that.
    Melican did well in a few one on one situations at the last line of defence - I was fairly impressed, althought I wouldn't have said he was on our bests list, but obviously the coaches like what they saw.

- - - Updated - - -

Took a few pics on my phone today at the game - they aren't very good quality (one mystery in life to me is why mobile phones are so hyped up as cameras, I'm yet to have one that takes pictures anywhere near the quality of my little pocket camera I usually take along (but forgot to today).

20160709_130132.jpg20160709_130133.jpg20160709_130358.jpg20160709_133214.jpg20160709_133845.jpg
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    The year end will be very interesting indeed.

Foote, Papley and Marsh you would think will be upgraded. Newman has a lot of fans here too and you'd hate to see all that development work go to another club.

If we list two and upgrade four then we need to de-list six players. Four stand out for me - Xav, Ted, TDx and Hiscox.

Perhaps with the new CBA we can afford to expand our list from 38 to 40? We then get a brand new batch of rookies to work on, with O'Riordan being a special to be upgraded next year.

I imagine a lot will depend on whether we feel the need to recruit a KPD and I think that may well come down to whether we lose Mitchell or decide to trade Towers. With AA's development, Rampe playing the KPD role well, Talia to return and the Reid option part of me is wondering if we may not be addressing our defensive stocks internally
    You would think TDx is definitely gone. Xavier did some good stuff up forward today, but I just think he is too far down the order now either up front or down back, and may go as well. Not sure about Hiscox - he was pretty quiet today and didn't have a great deal of impact for mine. And sadly the end does look near for Teddy, but not before he can play a role in one final tilt for a flag!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    You would think TDx is definitely gone. Xavier did some good stuff up forward today, but I just think he is too far down the order now either up front or down back, and may go as well. Not sure about Hiscox - he was pretty quiet today and didn't have a great deal of impact for mine. And sadly the end does look near for Teddy, but not before he can play a role in one final tilt for a flag!
    We would have to think hard about letting Xav go given the tactic of playing Ted as a defensive forward and Xav's potential to replace him when he retires. He would probably kick more goals than Ted and is significantly quicker.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast