Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret to Swans success

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by linko View Post
    That, and not playing the Tiges, dogs or Giants.
    All part of the master plan:

1. Let the Tiges think they may just be able to make the 8, and they will wreck havoc with that level of confidence for the rest of the season. Still have to play Hawks, GWS and Cats. Then we smack the crap out of them last round
    2. Give the Dogs a free game, hopefully they finish top four. In time for us to turn the tables in the finals.
    3. Same for GWS. Even if we finish 3/4 and play them at Spotless, you can chalk it down as a win and a week off

There should be a 'secret to Hawthorn success' thread.

It'd go something like this:

1) Pokies
    2) Onfield thuggery
    3) Cheat the cap
    4) Bribe umpires
    5) Inflate membership numbers
    6) Make AFL board members ex-Hawthorn players

Maybe we ought to follow their formula?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    There should be a 'secret to Hawthorn success' thread.

It'd go something like this:

1) Pokies
    2) Onfield thuggery
    3) Cheat the cap
    4) Bribe umpires
    5) Inflate membership numbers
    6) Make AFL board members ex-Hawthorn players

Maybe we ought to follow their formula?
    Agree with 1,2,5,6 but 3 and 4 cmon.. I don't like the Hawks either but no need to be hateful

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Agree with 1,2,5,6 but 3 and 4 cmon.. I don't like the Hawks either but no need to be hateful
    For 3. I'm half joking but there's been rumblings for a while. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were getting extra cash, especially for commercials/media appearances on the condition they stay at Hawthorn.

For 4, I'm exaggerating of course but for whatever reason Hawthorn are favoured by the umps. I have a sneaky suspicion that their gameplan revolves around drawing frees and Clarkson trains them for this.

Either that, or the umpires actually are closet Hawk supporters. Pretty dodgy when they have images like these on their twitter page:
    stephens.jpg

I find it unbelievable how many close games of theirs this year has been won by 50-50 calls this year. They must study the umpires very closely (if they aren't paying them under the table), and study how each umpire interprets the rules.

Senior Player
    I am one of those that perceives umpire bias. It would be so interesting to have stats for each umpire showing frees for/against each team (also inside 50s). That would certainly either confirm or debunk some theories about certain umpires.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Losing to the Tigers and Dogs in such a fashion was really difficult to take, but them being able to bounce back both times with a win shows this is a good team.
    I soothe my disappointment in losing those two games with the view (mine) that they wouldn't have won the next game if not for being gutted by the loss. Hawks at the G and cats at Geelong, who would have pencilled them in prior to the season?

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I soothe my disappointment in losing those two games with the view (mine) that they wouldn't have won the next game if not for being gutted by the loss. Hawks at the G and cats at Geelong, who would have pencilled them in prior to the season?
    And then once you get to finals, these games all become meaningless....

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    This denial by Afl fans and acceptance that thou shall not speak against umpires annoys me no end. No wonder the AFL continue to do as they please when they have the most submissive fans to ever follow a code.

"Sit there, wave your little AFL endorsed flag but dont wave it too much, clap a few times and then make sure to show the TV cameras the sponsored signs we gave you as part of the fun aspect of going to a game. Oh and naughty naughty dont say a word about the amazing umpiring. yay go team!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    For 3. I'm half joking but there's been rumblings for a while. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were getting extra cash, especially for commercials/media appearances on the condition they stay at Hawthorn.

For 4, I'm exaggerating of course but for whatever reason Hawthorn are favoured by the umps. I have a sneaky suspicion that their gameplan revolves around drawing frees and Clarkson trains them for this.

Either that, or the umpires actually are closet Hawk supporters. Pretty dodgy when they have images like these on their twitter page:
    stephens.jpg

I find it unbelievable how many close games of theirs this year has been won by 50-50 calls this year. They must study the umpires very closely (if they aren't paying them under the table), and study how each umpire interprets the rules.
    I am glad im not the only one, but having an umpire officiate the team they support is so unprofessional and just crap.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I am one of those that perceives umpire bias. It would be so interesting to have stats for each umpire showing frees for/against each team (also inside 50s). That would certainly either confirm or debunk some theories about certain umpires.
    Its amazing we have stats for basically everything these days and a lot of fans are stat nerds, yet no one has ever made a stat for umpires. I would like to see a stat that shows how many goals are scored from umpiring free kicks per team per game.

Also where the free was paid.

I am sure champion data have one for the umpires which they then hand over to the umpires coach, but the image conscious AFL has suppressed it to the general public as it would reveal some damning stats, like how many frees does Stevic give the hawks in front of goal 45 out and on a slight angle.

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Its amazing we have stats for basically everything these days and a lot of fans are stat nerds, yet no one has ever made a stat for umpires. I would like to see a stat that shows how many goals are scored from umpiring free kicks per team per game.

Also where the free was paid.

I am sure champion data have one for the umpires which they then hand over to the umpires coach, but the image conscious AFL has suppressed it to the general public as it would reveal some damning stats, like how many frees does Stevic give the hawks in front of goal 45 out and on a slight angle.
    I actually think Stevic is a very good umpire - unless your team is playing Hawthorn.
    I have noticed that he hasn't been appointed to a Hawks game all season so maybe the powers that be have noticed something - wishful thinking I know!

I've probably jinxed us now and our umpires on Thursday will be Stevic, Schmidt and Nicholls.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I actually think Stevic is a very good umpire - unless your team is playing Hawthorn.
    I have noticed that he hasn't been appointed to a Hawks game all season so maybe the powers that be have noticed something - wishful thinking I know!

I've probably jinxed us now and our umpires on Thursday will be Stevic, Schmidt and Nicholls.
    It's Schmitt - and whatever you do, don't forget the m.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    It's Schmitt - and whatever you do, don't forget the m.
    So Schmitt spelt m o r o n and pronounced as s h i t

sorry for the swear filter avoidance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12