Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Changes for Rnd.17 V Hawthorn.

As long as someone takes out hodge & Mitchell I'll be happy - sick of those two snippy dirty bastards getting away with murder. we just have to make sure Cyril & Poppy are tagged and tagged well. Like last time. Bruce will no doubt be beside himself calling this game. Who'd have thunk it ?? The game of the year in Sydney!!!????????????Go Swannies!!

Jones to Breust, smith to Cyril , Mcglynn to poppy, Rampe ( best defender in the league) to Gunston. Grundy to take resting ruck and fill the gaps. I forgot about Sicily, Allir to Sicily. Ted defensive forward on Gibson. Rohan deg alive forward on Hodge. Mitchell To Mitchell and the rest roam free !!! We've got this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Andrew Wu, the Fairfax Sydney based AFL reporter tweeted that Heeney will be playing NEAFL but since teams for that come out Friday I don't know whether he's just guessing or he's relaying info from the Swans
    Wu tweets Swans have confirmed Heeney will be in the NEAFL where he is likely to come up against Jaeger O'Meara

Regular in the Side
    I note that the injury timeframes have blown out for Tippett (now round 23) Reid (was due this week) Talia (was due next week) and Robinson as well as Laidler and Melican back on the injury list. At least Derickx might be available as some very small compensation.

OMG.
    I'm so nervous.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I remember when that started.
    I hated it as the Sydney crowd was already being accuse of not knowing the game properly and not booing and cheering at the right times.
    They were said to be 'learning' the game.
    When the chant started, it was seen down here in Vic as the crowd associating soccer antics into the game again because they didn't really know what to do.

Now that this is no longer an issue, I like the long chant. Should be done more. Makes a fun and unique part of the Sydney experience.
    Maybe it conflicts a bit with Sweet Caroline?
    Ah yes, but that was precisely it. I was at that game huddled under the old Doug Walters Stand. The weather and playing conditions were atrocious. Howling 90 km winds and torrential rain. This was the first time that the chant was heard. It was spontaneous and spine-tingling, and my take at the time was that the conditions were so terrible it resembled an EPL fixture. It was amazing to have been there, to see Simon Arnott burst out of a pack to kick the sealer. Not only had we won the game but the minor premiership as well. And is it not ironic, if what you say is correct (that traditional AFL fans were appalled by Sydney fans� lack of understanding of the game as a result of this chant), that now every team�s fans across the nation have adopted this chant? Collingwood even used it in a marketing campaign. I guess this could only mean that no one has a genuine understanding of the game and its traditions.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

I have bursts of nervousness and total calm - this is odd - I have picked that we will win by 15 - (I'd love buddy to kick 15 goals but we know that won't happen!!)

Warming the Bench
    I'm a bit surprised about Ben McGlynn coming back in. I tend to think his best work is done as the small crumbing forward but we have Papley in that role now. However, I am pleased for Aliir and Naismith who I thought were really good last week. What about Heeney - tendonitis is not an easy thing to manage?

We don't like Hawthorn because of their 'unsociable' football. There are only 3 main culprits.

Hodge - yes, he goes out of his way to hurt opposing players. Just ask Tom Harley about the 2008 gf
    Psycho Sam - 'come anywhere near me and you'll cop a knee somewhere'
    Jordan Lewis - 'if we get 2 or 3 goals behind i'll pick a fight with the best player on the other team'

Otherwise, I don't dislike the Hawthorn players. I dislike their fans overblown sense of entitlement, I dislike the silly commentary from the likes of McAvaney.

Would anyone like a Cyril Rioli screen saver for their PC? Please call B. McAvaney or M. Stevic on 1300 #freekickHawthorn#

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Ah yes, but that was precisely it. I was at that game huddled under the old Doug Walters Stand. The weather and playing conditions were atrocious. Howling 90 km winds and torrential rain. This was the first time that the chant was heard. It was spontaneous and spine-tingling, and my take at the time was that the conditions were so terrible it resembled an EPL fixture. It was amazing to have been there, to see Simon Arnott burst out of a pack to kick the sealer. Not only had we won the game but the minor premiership as well. And is it not ironic, if what you say is correct (that traditional AFL fans were appalled by Sydney fans� lack of understanding of the game as a result of this chant), that now every team�s fans across the nation have adopted this chant? Collingwood even used it in a marketing campaign. I guess this could only mean that no one has a genuine understanding of the game and its traditions.
    For what its worth, my recollection of the Victorian response to the soccer-like Sydney chant was entirely different. I remember only the most cynical of opposition supporters being critical. For the most part the chanting crowd in the rain, as well as the successful Swans season and the growth of crowd numbers was very well received.

Opti-pessi-misti
    The pressure to win this game is enormous - if we lose, we nose-dive down the ladder, unless there are a few upsets in other games.

What a test for both young and old. Thinking of the unmentionable game of a couple of years back, we may just be up for putting that forever in the psychological-scars bin, which would be so good heading into the finals. Go Benny, Rohan, Lloyd .... Hanners ....... Buddy .... McVeigh .... Jack .... The freshness and confidence of the kids who stood up against the Cats was impressive - can they go again under even more pressure? Can we keep the intensity of last week up? I'm getting nervous too!

Senior Player
    Yes, I've noticed other teams fans have appropriated "our" long chant too. In time the long chant will become an AFL tradition amongst supporters trying to will their team on, but we'll never get the credit for starting it of course...
    BTW, Fox Footy showed the 2010 home-and-away game against Hawthorn very early this morning. I counted seven guys from that team still with us (Hanners, JPK, Benny, Grundy, Ted, K Jack & McVeigh). Commentators were talking up the then 19 year old Hanners big time, saying he was going to really something. Well, they got that one right. We won, comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post

Its more important that hawthorn lose than we win if that makes sense.

I want those pricks out of the top 4.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213