Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 17 MDT. Sydney V Hawthorn. SCG. 19.20 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I know I won't be well received for this, but my disappointment is already fading.
    Absolutely not.
    I feel the same way, and you spelled it out very well.
    It's just goodbye to Facebook for 3 or 4 days, and when people mention the game to me I once again reply "what game?" "What is this football you talk of?"
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Regular in the Side
    I know I won't be well received for this, but my disappointment is already fading.

We've have 2x6 day breaks. A bunch of 1st & 2nd year players in the side, who only have a hand full of games under their belts. No Tippett. No Heeney. Laidler, Reid & Talia out - any one of them would bolster a backline that isn't the strongest in the league. Playing with a very inexperienced ruck division. Lost to the ladder leader. We've lost 4 games by less than 2 goals (not easy to swallow, but if things had gone our way a little bit more in those games we'd be feeling a lot better). 3 of the close losses were against Adelaide, Dogs & Hawks ... all genuine contenders.

I, for one, am still proud of the endeavour tonight against quality opposition. The loss hurts me as a supporter. But seeing the boys in tears in the rooms after the game ... they are hurting more than I ever will. We are still a contender in an even season. We are still a contender - for a team rebuilding on the run, by blooding new talent & restructuring in the absence of key players.

This pain will fade. The players will learn. A couple of decent wins will ease the disappointment .,, bring on Carlton

.... Oh & I hate the Hawks!
    i agree

we do ahve ALOT of yng players and its prob that youth that costs us in close games... but i was more angry with losing tonight than the other close games....a few passengers tonight...love Benny mcGlynn but doesnt have the impact anymore...towers just do something....Poor Teddy just seems not quite there since the head knocks and we seem so reliant on our dominate midfield, but we get sucked in and the hawks have the best clearing hand passes i ahve ever seen in a team..quick passes lightning quick...
    We were good enough to win to fight back and lead, but just not quite good enough on the night

Regular in the Side

We've have 2x6 day breaks. A bunch of 1st & 2nd year players in the side, who only have a hand full of games under their belts. No Tippett. No Heeney. Laidler, Reid & Talia out - any one of them would bolster a backline that isn't the strongest in the league. Playing with a very inexperienced ruck division. Lost to the ladder leader. We've lost 4 games by less than 2 goals (not easy to swallow, but if things had gone our way a little bit more in those games we'd be feeling a lot better). 3 of the close losses were against Adelaide, Dogs & Hawks ... all genuine contenders.

I, for one, am still proud of the endeavour tonight against quality opposition. The loss hurts me as a supporter. But seeing the boys in tears in the rooms after the game ... they are hurting more than I ever will. We are still a contender in an even season. We are still a contender - for a team rebuilding on the run, by blooding new talent & restructuring in the absence of key players.

This pain will fade. The players will learn. A couple of decent wins will ease the disappointment .,, bring on Carlton

.... Oh & I hate the Hawks!
    Hard to argue with any of that except this part (a backline that isn't the strongest in the league ). we have an excellent back line even if it lacks experience.

With all the youth we have developed, I sense a bit of a clear out at end of season.
    Wouldn't be surprised if one way or the other we lose
    McGlynn, McVeigh, Richards, Reid, Micthell

Not sure about Jones's injury - he didn't look too happy. He looked like his season was over...

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Thought we played the better game apart from the @@@@ers in green.

The upbeat note to leave on is the synergy wth 2012 with the loss to Richmond and The close loss to the Hawks at the scg. 2005 had the 1pt loss to the Tigers for the double up too.

Did we stop tagging Sam Mitchell after quarter time and if so can someone tell me why?

Yes, gs, that was one thing that I was thinking while watching the post match: Carlton are probably going to have a whole lot of problems next week.
    Though I did think that our defence was generally on top tonight. I was once again very impressed by Aliir. He seems to see the game very well and makes good decisions quickly. Combined with his athletic ability, I believe we have a future star. A few of our younger players seem to have that ability to see the game well. Certainly Mills, Heeney and Hewett do.
    Unfortunately Towers doesn't.

Disappointing but I'll live. The season is not over and hopefully we'll learn from this result.

What I liked: apart from Gazza and Papps who are always a joy to watch I am really liking what I see with Aliir. He's a keeper, I reckon.

What I didn't like: losing to the Hawks and Towers. I'm not even focusing on that one kick and I know he did some good stuff but I reckon we should trade him while he has currency, if we can. I'm sure we can do better, even though his assets are significant and not easy to find in one player. I'd rather have Aliir or Hewett or Naismith or even Rose any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Hard to be disappointed!!!! Cost us top place and likely to go out of top 4 when the round is finished.

I thought Hanners was incredibly wasteful all game. His finishing is D grade, whether it is his field kicking or around goal. Gets a heap of the footy but oh so wasteful.
    Fully agree - pathetic disposal when a leader needs to stand up

Only issue I have with Allir is that he SEEMS half arsed some of the time.
    But his skills are excellent. Decision making, marking, general disposal.

Just realised I'll be in Singapore for the Carlton game.
    Any suggestions where to catch it over there?

Sammy Naismith 30 hitouts and 12 possies. Kids going to be a gun.

I still see the future in Towers.
    Not only would I not trade him, I'd keep on playing him.
    Now or never to a point, but I think he is doing well overall ATM