Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The umpires need to be investigated.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    We lost to Bulldogs in what I thought was a great contest and as far as losses go, I enjoyed it.

Left the ground last night pissed off and with no voice. Commented at some point that Def leopards drummer was out there umpiring and could only pay free kicks in one direction.

From the one where Lewis was taken down arm pinned with no disposal to Nick Smith being told to play on without coming off his line the umpiring was @@@@.

The 50 against Jack came at such a critical time, and I would really like to know whether the one against McGlynn was legitimate with another player running in the exclusion zone. Didn't see it as McGlynn trying to impede the player that had taken the mark more trying to get to the runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    We are obviously are the most undisciplined and unskillful team in the competition, as we keep giving away free kicks. Every game vs a Melbourne side except for Essendon has resulted in more free kicks given away than rewarded. 16 games this season, 10 with more free kicks given away, 3 tied, and 3 where we got more free kicks vs GWS once, Essendon and GC... what a coincidence?

Hawks 15 - 9
    Geelong 24 - 23
    Bulldogs 17 - 16
    Melbourne 17 - 16
    GWS 22 - 15
    GC 14 - 19
    NM 20 - 20
    Hawthorn 15 - 12
    Richmond 28 - 26
    Essendon 18 - 21
    Brisbane 23 - 19
    West Coast 19 - 19
    Adelaide 23 - 21
    GWS 19 - 30
    Carlton 23 - 23
    Collingwood 23 - 18
    I'd argue that the free kick stats gets skewed because we don't get rewarded nearly enough for 'free kick earning' efforts like good tackles. There were are least 4 or 5 instances last night that were clear holding the ball/illegal disposals where we should of got free but didn't - its an ongoing trend this year, and so frustrating. In particular we don't get nearly enough reward when the players do the 'Hawthorn drop'.

if people think last nights umpiring was bad, just remember the Hawks can call on Stevic, Schmitt, Pannell or Chamberlain comes finals time - who are all infinitely worse than the three on show last night. The rest of the competition is @@@@@@, as the umps will ensure the hawks get over the line if they need to.

If the rules were enforced as they should be, in particular incorrect disposal, the hawks would come back to the field very quickly. They are the masters at dropping the ball and incorrect disposal, and dodgy handballs, and they get away with it time and time and time and time and time again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    We lost to Bulldogs in what I thought was a great contest and as far as losses go, I enjoyed it.

Left the ground last night pissed off and with no voice. Commented at some point that Def leopards drummer was out there umpiring and could only pay free kicks in one direction.

From the one where Lewis was taken down arm pinned with no disposal to Nick Smith being told to play on without coming off his line the umpiring was @@@@.

The 50 against Jack came at such a critical time, and I would really like to know whether the one against McGlynn was legitimate with another player running in the exclusion zone. Didn't see it as McGlynn trying to impede the player that had taken the mark more trying to get to the runner.
    The Jack one was exceptionally harsh - he couldn't just magically get out of the protected zone, and hadn't deviated to get in there, a poor 50/50 call. The McGlynn one was there though - I really think the Dawks player went to play on and McGlynn's actions were fair though, but I can see how they gave it. I wish the umpires would stop focusing on crap like that and start focusing on frees that should be given but are not - i.e. those when players dispose of the ball by just dropping it cold.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    We are obviously are the most undisciplined and unskillful team in the competition, as we keep giving away free kicks. Every game vs a Melbourne side except for Essendon has resulted in more free kicks given away than rewarded. 16 games this season, 10 with more free kicks given away, 3 tied, and 3 where we got more free kicks vs GWS once, Essendon and GC... what a coincidence?

Hawks 15 - 9
    Geelong 24 - 23
    Bulldogs 17 - 16
    Melbourne 17 - 16
    GWS 22 - 15
    GC 14 - 19
    NM 20 - 20
    Hawthorn 15 - 12
    Richmond 28 - 26
    Essendon 18 - 21
    Brisbane 23 - 19
    West Coast 19 - 19
    Adelaide 23 - 21
    GWS 19 - 30
    Carlton 23 - 23
    Collingwood 23 - 18
    Wouldn't it be interesting to see the same free kick comparison for Hawthorn //////

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I'd argue that the free kick stats gets skewed because we don't get rewarded nearly enough for 'free kick earning' efforts like good tackles. There were are least 4 or 5 instances last night that were clear holding the ball/illegal disposals where we should of got free but didn't - its an ongoing trend this year, and so frustrating. In particular we don't get nearly enough reward when the players do the 'Hawthorn drop'.

if people think last nights umpiring was bad, just remember the Hawks can call on Stevic, Schmitt, Pannell or Chamberlain comes finals time - who are all infinitely worse than the three on show last night. The rest of the competition is @@@@@@, as the umps will ensure the hawks get over the line if they need to.

If the rules were enforced as they should be, in particular incorrect disposal, the hawks would come back to the field very quickly. They are the masters at dropping the ball and incorrect disposal, and dodgy handballs, and they get away with it time and time and time and time and time again.

- - - Updated - - -

The Jack one was exceptionally harsh - he couldn't just magically get out of the protected zone, and hadn't deviated to get in there, a poor 50/50 call. The McGlynn one was there though - I really think the Dawks player went to play on and McGlynn's actions were fair though, but I can see how they gave it. I wish the umpires would stop focusing on crap like that and start focusing on frees that should be given but are not - i.e. those when players dispose of the ball by just dropping it cold.
    What about the Lewis one where Rohan pinned him by the arm he just dropped the ball. Nothing. what about the Lloyd free kick when he was blatantly held back, when there was about 40 seconds to go, Nothing. Mcglynn was only a natural reaction for someone that was about the handball, 99% of the time the umps just give a warning. Hawthorn is the AFL love child and 4 flags is a no brainer, my interest in 2016 is almost gone already and I may start following NRL.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    What about the Lewis one where Rohan pinned him by the arm he just dropped the ball. Nothing. what about the Lloyd free kick when he was blatantly held back, when there was about 40 seconds to go, Nothing. Mcglynn was only a natural reaction for someone that was about the handball, 99% of the time the umps just give a warning. Hawthorn is the AFL love child and 4 flags is a no brainer, my interest in 2016 is almost gone already and I may start following NRL.
    Haha crack don't bother with NRL if you want to watch a code with better officiating.... their referees make AFL umpires look like professionals.

There is no doubt the Hawks get more than their fair share of the rub of the green. Its just something we, or anyone else, will have to overcome to beat the scum and break the curse on the AFL. They were so, so very lucky in both 2012 and 2014 to even make the GF after they got some ridiculous calls in both prelim finals at critical stages. It'll take an almighty effort for anyone to beat the Hawks as a team of 18 players, let alone when you take their extras in green into account. But I dare to hope someone will manage to do it - I'm just so over their feral fans and their arrogant bunch of wanker players.

I bleat constantly about the blight that dropping the ball is on the game. Hawks are the experts at getting away with it, in particular when they lift the ball up high in contests and just let it 'slip' out of their hands - that is the one that really grates me.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    I've never been so angry about the umpires as I was last night

Would it be a fair comment to suggest that we don't have the interstate home ground advantage that the SA and WA teams have as our supporters are too polite. They would have been booed mercilessly at those venues and wouldn't have got out of the ground alive with a performance like that!

Senior Player
    I missed Longmires post match interview, did he make note of the umpiring? I would love an explanation from the umps in regards to what the Swans did wrong to not earn the free kick in various situations. That Hodge tackle on Sinclair early on was reckless, negligent and bordering on malicious quite frankly, and yet it went unnoticed - they turned a blind eye (and then called him out on an innocuous tackle on McGlynn later on - atoning for a past mistake, much?). Hodge gets a golden ticket it seems, the guy went DUI for Christs sake and he barely got a slap on the wrist.

It seems they've also forgotten the holding the ball decision and you can now drop the ball as you please with no consequence. That is of course unless Hawthorn tackle you, in which case it's a free kick.

I bet the umpires make a point of the protected zone 50m penalty for the remaining games of this round too, whether it was actually a focus for the umpires this week or to cover their own behinds. Neither would surprise me.

I hate the Hawks, not afraid to admit it. They were good last night, but the Swans were better for most of it. If the umpiring was 50/50, we'd have won. That's what pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I've never been so angry about the umpires as I was last night

Would it be a fair comment to suggest that we don't have the interstate home ground advantage that the SA and WA teams have as our supporters are too polite. They would have been booed mercilessly at those venues and wouldn't have got out of the ground alive with a performance like that!
    Definitely agree Caj about the home ground advantage - I put it down a bit to our crowd not having as larger % of 'diehard' fans as those states (where they all live and breathe afl and that's it) - so its a more passive crowd. At times in the Trumper Stand its like a morgue, with many people far more concerned about what they are doing on the weekend or what pub they are going to get pissed at then what's going on on the field. You often get funny looks when you show a bit of passion and get stuck in a bit too. We certainly don't get the 19th man advantage that other clubs do playing at home - but its not something that can quickly be fixed.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    It's actually gotten to the point where the Hawks have integrated the room umps give them into their style of play. Short kicks, holding possession, crowding the mark etc etc. There's a reason why they win while still having such a low contested possession count - they just hold onto the ball, creep it up the ground, then attack.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post

I hate the Hawks, not afraid to admit it. They were good last night, but the Swans were better for most of it. If the umpiring was 50/50, we'd have won. That's what pisses me off.
    I agree. I feel shattered after last night. The umpires were disgraceful in the fact they were so one sided. They received 6 free kicks to nothing in the second qtr, and you cannot tell me that Hawks did not do one single illegal tackle, push in the back, holding the ball or arm hold.

I could handle the Bulldogs loss as it was a hard fair contest, but last night was just an example of a corrupt AFL competition with pathetic umpires. I dread the finals when Stevic, Smitch and co umpire their favoured team.

Goes up to 11
    Geez I thought us Swans fans were better than whining and moaning about umpiring but apparently not. We didn't deserve to win that game last night and to blame umpiring 'conspiracies' is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    It's actually gotten to the point where the Hawks have integrated the room umps give them into their style of play. Short kicks, holding possession, crowding the mark etc etc. There's a reason why they win while still having such a low contested possession count - they just hold onto the ball, creep it up the ground, then attack.
    They certainly are masters at manipulating every little bit of space afforded by the umpires. Just like they are masters at the 'dropsies' over the head tactic that is used as a way to get away with incorrect disposal in congested passages. They are always first to adopt to any changes and to find a way to make it work for them.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast