Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The umpires need to be investigated.

Senior Player
    I was very surprised that in three quarters of football, the "unsociable football" Hawthorn only infringed three times.
    I don't think the umps favour one team over another, but they are very inconsistent with their rulings.
    I find their inability to judge how far 15 metres is incredible. There were a number of kicks (including a couple of ours) last
    night that barely went half that distance, yet were called marks. This is kindergarten stuff, and some of these guys just have no
    idea whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    I thought they missed a few holding the ball decisions both ways. A couple of holds in marking contests could've gone our way. I don't like the 'protected area' rule but that's not an umpiring fault. The McGlynn was obvious and stupid.

I don't think poor umpiring cost us victory. A lack of composure did.

As for Longmire, he didn't give much away did he? Asked a direct question and he answered it by saying we were undisciplined. He may not have meant that but that's what he said.
    He was clearly being sarcastic. He is smart and composed enough to know that commenting further will just get him into trouble but he was clearly exasperated about the 50s and the free kick count.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

For what it's worth, I thought most of the free kicks the Hawks got in the 2nd quarter were there. They may have been 50/50 calls, but Hawthorn were first to the ball most of the time in that period and that usually gets you the call. The 50M against Jack was a disgraceful call though and is the one that probably turned the game back to them. McGlynn should also have been warned first as that is what happens most of the time. You could see the umpire waiting for him to do it, rather than officiating it on its merits.

Yes the Lewis drop was bad, and other bits and pieces around the ground could have gone either way, but it's really those two 50s that stick in my craw. Having said all that, our second quarter was dismal and that's why we lost.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Despite 2 out of 18 teams coming from nsw, there are no AFL umpires from NSW or reside in NSW.

Almost impossible for us to understand or form a relationship with them.

AFL Umpires Profiles - M.afl.com.au

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Despite 2 out of 18 teams coming from nsw, there are no AFL umpires from NSW or reside in NSW.

Almost impossible for us to understand or form a relationship with them.

AFL Umpires Profiles - M.afl.com.au
    We need an academy!

Senior Player
    Basically the AFL has decreed that the umpires can't be questioned regardless of how incompetent they are, so there is no real pressure on them (the umpires) to improve. It's their job, they are getting paid (ultimately by us, the fans), why can't they handle a bit of criticism?. It happens in other workplaces, if you mess up, you'll likely cop some heat for it. Maybe the umpires could actually learn something from the criticism. Even basic stuff, like how far 15 metres is....

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    He was clearly being sarcastic. He is smart and composed enough to know that commenting further will just get him into trouble but he was clearly exasperated about the 50s and the free kick count.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    For what it is worth, a news item just came through saying that the AFL rules committee admitted that the 50 meter penalty against Kieran Jack was a mistake!! Does us a lot of good now.

Senior Player
    To be fair, I thought the worst decisions of the night actually favoured us. McGlynn being slung, and Grundy taking out Cyril in a marking contest, with no eyes for the ball.

McGlynn's 50 was warranted, and just plain dumb, from a seasoned player.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    For what it is worth, a news item just came through saying that the AFL rules committee admitted that the 50 meter penalty against Kieran Jack was a mistake!! Does us a lot of good now.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Bastards.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    To be fair, I thought the worst decisions of the night actually favoured us. McGlynn being slung, and Grundy taking out Cyril in a marking contest, with no eyes for the ball.

McGlynn's 50 was warranted, and just plain dumb, from a seasoned player.
    Have we got several hawthorn supporters on this forum! Hodge performed a sling tackle on Sinclair and then Mcglynn. The following is an extract from the AFL website:

The AFL will crack down on sling tackles this year, paying free kicks for lifting tackles even before a player is dumped into the ground.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Geez I thought us Swans fans were better than whining and moaning about umpiring but apparently not. We didn't deserve to win that game last night and to blame umpiring 'conspiracies' is pathetic.
    Are you blind or just PC? Sorry Jono, to not see last nights injustice is 'pathetic'.......

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast