Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Lloyd not signed in 2017

Jake Lloyd not signed in 2017

I read the other day that Jake Lloyd is also not signed for 2017. You would think he would stay and would be waiting to see if Mitchell goes or not, before resigning.

I actually hope they both stay.
    I am a proud South Australian Sydney Swans Member - Go BLOODS

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk31 View Post
    I read the other day that Jake Lloyd is also not signed for 2017. You would think he would stay and would be waiting to see if Mitchell goes or not, before resigning.

I actually hope they both stay.
    Surely Jake Lloyd wouldn't turn to the dark side & leave us?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Probably getting bought by Hawthorn with their, ahem, 'fair salary cap.' Even though the guy organizing the AFL's salary cap is an ex-Hawthorn CEO.

If we can get a second rounder for him I'd trade him, he's dime a dozen but I expect him to stay

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    If we can get a second rounder for him I'd trade him, he's dime a dozen but I expect him to stay
    And you would be incredibly lucky to get another player like Jake Lloyd with 2nd round pick. He's 22 and has improved every year, so we still don't know how much upside he has. It's impossible to have a team full of Luke Parkers because the salary cap prevents it. A good team needs to have a number of reliable players who play their roles and are not stars and don't demand big salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    And you would be incredibly lucky to get another player like Jake Lloyd with 2nd round pick. He's 22 and has improved every year, so we still don't know how much upside he has. It's impossible to have a team full of Luke Parkers because the salary cap prevents it. A good team needs to have a number of reliable players who play their roles and are not stars and don't demand big salaries.
    I'd say he is unlikely to leave but the fact he is not re-signed suggests he is seen as potentially expendable. He could well be a makeweight for any deal imo. I think he just a bread and butter AFL footballer, will be in the bottom 6 of any 22 for any decent club. He's come on well but for mine his impact on games can border on minimal. I think if his salary demands are reasonable we'll keep him though.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I'd say he is unlikely to leave but the fact he is not re-signed suggests he is seen as potentially expendable. He could well be a makeweight for any deal imo. I think he just a bread and butter AFL footballer, will be in the bottom 6 of any 22 for any decent club. He's come on well but for mine his impact on games can border on minimal. I think if his salary demands are reasonable we'll keep him though.
    If I considered Lloyd's impact on games, his salary, & his future, I'd have him before McVeigh any day.

How long is mc veigh signed till?

MP

Lloyd might not be the answer but who else is for his role because we need someone who plays his role

My explanation :

Our style of transition from the backs has evolved this season tremendously ......of which Lloyd has been critical for our team to execute

We now have several go to methods of exit with ou main 3 below

I) Thru the middle with our post ups and fast hand passing

ii) our loose man switch ie rampe, Grundy and Macca playing loose and switching

iii) our linked plays down the wing.....Lloyd playing as a link down our wings where as I pointed out earlier in the season Lloyd made 9 significant off ball options vs his direct opponent in a period of less then 4minutes.....his opponent made 2.....this effort required so often goes unnoticed yet is critical

Now that does not mean Lloyd is the man but it does high light we do not have many other players that can do what he does off the ball as competently and aerobically as he does for us to be successful with this part of our exit transition ie our wing transitions

As a coach in any sport u are constantly looking at the space and time created off the ball for ur team to function effectively

I remember as a very young fella (12yrs of age) some 30 years ago I was watching a game of soccer and for the first time truly getting how valuable "effective and defence engaging" gut running off the ball is for team success

The scenario was 3 mins to go in a game .....the opposition was pinning down the team with high pressure defence. They could not get out of their back third

a defensive centre mid won the ball in a tackle and had the ball and beat his opposite player but was still stuck trying to get out

A tiny gap was emerging to get out but he needed to hold possession long enough for his troops to get ahead of him so he could link

The attacking centre mid on his team ran from his goal box right next to him ie 18 yards out toward trying to be an option to open up space but he was shot down by numbers immediately

So the attacking centre mid off the ball continued running 70m on an angle forward opening up space by dragging the defenders with him.....the defenders kept chasing him retreating with him because as he was running forward he was angling and presenting continually like a surfer on a wave which continued to engage defenders. He presented approx 5 times as a pass option as he continued moving forward engaging more defenders and leaving space and time for his team mates to play make and hold possession

The amazing thing was he never received the ball in this play he was simply creating space for his team mates to run into

They scored with mins to go and he never touched the ball

The commentator an ex player replayed the transition saying this vision is usually only acknowledged by the coaching staff and players in the inner sanctum but I want to show u how important the work off the ball is as this is gut running at its finest because of his selfless continual running and presenting and engaging the defence

Who are our other wing off the ball players who can do this off the ball work for 4 qtrs of footy successfully ? Week in week out ?

Senior Player
    Jake is an increasingly important player and has gone way past Cunningham as an outside mid. He's a keeper.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    I rate his efforts considering he is only in his third season and his statistics are improving in every category each year. Is currently the 12th rated Swans player according to the AFL website ( just behind Reg ) and should be considered a required player. This is the bio from the site which I think sums him up nicely.
    "An ultra consistent midfielder, the former rookie evolved into a ball-winning on-baller last season when he averaged more than 20 possessions in his 22 games. Equally happy at winning his own ball on the inside or finishing on the outside, Lloyd�s versatility saw him play forward on occasions in a negating role, while also spending time as a freewheeling midfielder. A valuable player and perfectly suited to the Swans� game-plan."

Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15.
    Last edited by Faunac8; 17th July 2016 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast