Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Buddy make an all-time Swans team?

Would Buddy make an all-time Swans team?

I am no great historian of the game but I was wondering, as brilliant as Lance Franklin is, could he make an all-time Swans team? Presumably Bob Pratt and Plugger would be selected ahead of him. But I still think we could, would and should make room for Buddy as a wingman or third tall forward. I presume none of the official honorary team selections have had to tackle this question because Buddy has yet been with us long enough - although he will have been by the time he sees out his contract! Does anyone think Buddy is not quite good enough to fit into an all-time 22? Or perhaps just hasn't done enough to earn it yet? Does it matter that the bulk of his career thus far has been played at Hawthorn? I just want to get our strongest all-time 22 out on the virtual park.

... only if he breaks Plugger's record.
    Outside of that, no, not at the moment.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Team of the century maybe if he lives up to that 9 year deal? In the distant future lol.
    All time only if somehow manages to beat Plugger's record.

Senior Player
    I think he will eventually, but too early at the moment

I think he's the second best footballer I've seen in R&W (about 1992 onwards) after Lockett so I'd be hard pressed not to have him in. Certainly by the end of his time with us I'm sure he'll be considered in that light.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I am no great historian of the game but I was wondering, as brilliant as Lance Franklin is, could he make an all-time Swans team? Presumably Bob Pratt and Plugger would be selected ahead of him. But I still think we could, would and should make room for Buddy as a wingman or third tall forward. I presume none of the official honorary team selections have had to tackle this question because Buddy has yet been with us long enough - although he will have been by the time he sees out his contract! Does anyone think Buddy is not quite good enough to fit into an all-time 22? Or perhaps just hasn't done enough to earn it yet? Does it matter that the bulk of his career thus far has been played at Hawthorn? I just want to get our strongest all-time 22 out on the virtual park.
    Don't particularly care about all-time best 22 to date.
    However, as it stands (IMO), Buddy = No.
    (Skilton would be my !st choice - other stand-outs during my time as a Swans supporter would be Kelly & Lockett. History suggests that Nash, Clegg & Pratt would be included.)

Without doubt - one of the best players we have had. Lockett at full forward , buddy at CHF - that would be a treat. Hard to judge pratt etc for me but put them in a pocket like they do with all Australian.

I've just looked and found the Swans' 'Team of the Century', announced on 8 August 2003:

Sydney Swans Team of the Century

B: John Rantall John Heriot Vic Belcher
    HB: Bill Faul Ron Clegg Dennis Carroll
    C: David Murphy Greg Williams Herbie Matthews
    HF: Tony Morwood Laurie Nash Gerard Healy
    F: Bob Pratt Tony Lockett Paul Kelly (Vice-Captain)
    Foll: Barry Round Peter Bedford Bob Skilton (Captain)
    Int: Bill Williams Stephen Wright Daryn Cresswell
    Fred Goldsmith Mark Bayes Harry Clarke, Mark Tandy
    Coach: Jack Bissett

Surely we could make space for Buddy in the half forward line or failing that on the interchange bench?!

Incidentally, I think both Roos and now Horse would be a chance of overtaking Jack Bissett as the team coach. Roos got the first flag in 72 years and without any megastar like Plugger or Bob Pratt and I think has coached the most games. And Horse snagged us another flag plus has twice won the AFLCA 'Coach of the Year' award, voted by his peers (which didn't always exist). And he's still going and may get us one or more flags yet!

I've just looked and found the Swans' 'Team of the Century', announced on 8 August 2003:

Surely we could make space for Buddy in the half forward line or failing that on the interchange bench?!

Incidentally, I think both Roos and now Horse would be a chance of overtaking Jack Bissett as the team coach. Roos got the first flag in 72 years and without any megastar like Plugger or Bob Pratt and I think has coached the most games. And Horse snagged us another flag plus has twice won the AFLCA 'Coach of the Year' award, voted by his peers (which didn't always exist). And he's still going and may get us one or more flags yet!
    Buddy's been good so far but IMHO, I'm not sure if he even knocks Wiz Capper out of the position as the nominal "Should've been named on the interchange at least" player.

In Swans colours, I think Barry Hall is ahead of Buddy for power forward, as he has delivered a flag.

I also think Josh Kennedy will push out David Murphy.

Towers must be half a chance for a bench spot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Buddy's been good so far but IMHO, I'm not sure if he even knocks Wiz Capper out of the position as the nominal "Should've been named on the interchange at least" player.
    I think it depends on whether you are looking at the contribution made to the Swans and level of play while at the Swans (a reasonable approach) or just which are the greatest players to have represented the Swans (which is perhaps a bit more where I was coming from, although I hadn't thought it through). No doubt the 'Team of the Century' was based more on the first approach.

Buddy is a 3 time Coleman Medallist, will be in the top 10 all-time goalscorers by some time next year, you would think, and 5 time all-Australian. In addition he is versatile and defends well in the front half. Even more he is a great complement to marking forwards like Plugger and Pratt who he is totally different to. So, the more I think about it, the more I want him in my all-time best 22. However, to make the club's official all-time best 22 (or Legend status or whatever) then I guess it has to be based on his performances as a Swan and I would concede he is definitely not there after less than 3 seasons in red and white, despite his good work and the thrills he has provided during that time.

While I'm at it looking at our latter day saints, I think we have to make room for Goodes too. A true champ!
    What about Kirky - could he get in? Probably not, much as I love him.
    Jude or Pebbles or Mickey O???
    What about Roosy as a player? Probably didn't play enough for the Swans but if we go the alternative route and look at his whole career he would be in strong contention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast