Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 17: Sydney Swans Reserves v Giants @ SCG

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I haven't been that enamoured with Newman until the last few months but I agree he's doing everything right at the moment. Thought he should have got a go today given how short in numbers we are in defence instead of asking a stand-in like Cunningham or Foote

The other positive was Nankervis in the ruck. Did something to his ankle in the last and spent a lot of time as a forward but before that was great in the ruck contests and competitiveness

Other than that I don't think anyone really impressed me that much

est Players: N. Newman, T. Nankervis, C. O''Riordan, D. Baron-Hay, R. Hebron

I would guess that the role that Newman would have had to play today in Snrs may have prevented him from making the Snr team ?

Ie Cunningham and Lloyd so far ie up to half time have been playing Macca and zacs roles

Therefore foote has slotted outside of the backline primarily to half time

Foote has a lot more two way running in the midfield then Nic Newman would be able to cope with

I wonder if we will see Nic get more time in the midfield in ressies to prime him ready ?

Pushing for Selection
    How did Ted go ?
    Did he play defence or forward ?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfGang View Post
    How did Ted go ?
    Did he play defence or forward ?
    First quarter forward. No impact. Rest of game defence had good and bad moments.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think Coach Shaw would have been overly disappointed with the outing in the sense that the work rate and pressure skills were pretty good for the whole match, even amongst all the skinny bodied top ups out there. I think the number of scoring shots each team had was a fair reflection of the ability to win the ball and get it going in the right direction. But the scoreboard reflected that the Giants had a bit more system, skill and composure in their forward 50.

I suspect Coach Longmire would have been a little less enamoured in the sense that those he might think about as senior options didn't show the skill level necessary, on the whole.

Newman was probably one exception. His ball use was good, and he showed some dash and dare running the ball out. Nankervis continued his good form too. He wasn't as dominant as last week but still pretty good. I suspect Sinclair must be looking over his shoulder at what Nankervis is dishing up in the reserves (which can only be a good thing).

The only other one who impressed me somewhat was Marsh, who came on after quarter time and was pretty decent in defence and through the midfield. He needs another couple of weeks, you'd think, before pushing for a senior recall, but it was a solid return after his few week layoff.

Rose, Jack, McGlynn and Hiscox all got plenty of the ball but butchered it far too often.

Veterans List
    It is as if the whole club trained last week purely on butchering the footy.

Regular in the Side
    why no 6th best

Swans Clearances

• J.Rose 3
    • J.Brown 2
    • K.Galloway 2
    • J.Hardman 2
    • B.McGlynn 2
    • S.Murray 2
    • T.Nankervis 2
    • N.Newman 2
    • C.O'Riordan 2
    • D.Baron-Hay 1
    • N.Cooper 1
    • J.Deep 1
    • B.Jack 1
    • H.Marsh 1
    • M.Wilson 1

Giants Clearances
    • J.Barrett 12
    • W.Hoskin-Elliott 8
    • L.Whitfield 6
    • C.Byrne 3
    • D.Simpson 3
    • C.Bance 2
    • F.Carroll 2
    • B.Clark 1
    • M.Flynn 1
    • H.Macreadie 1
    • P.McKenna 1
    • J.Powell 1
    • N.Shipley 1

Swans 27 Giants 42

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    why no 6th best
    Usually when the team plays badly they only name 5 players in the best players list. If it's a particularly bad loss like the 183 point loss to the Giants last year they only named 3 players.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think Coach Shaw would have been overly disappointed with the outing in the sense that the work rate and pressure skills were pretty good for the whole match, even amongst all the skinny bodied top ups out there. I think the number of scoring shots each team had was a fair reflection of the ability to win the ball and get it going in the right direction. But the scoreboard reflected that the Giants had a bit more system, skill and composure in their forward 50.

I suspect Coach Longmire would have been a little less enamoured in the sense that those he might think about as senior options didn't show the skill level necessary, on the whole.

Newman was probably one exception. His ball use was good, and he showed some dash and dare running the ball out. Nankervis continued his good form too. He wasn't as dominant as last week but still pretty good. I suspect Sinclair must be looking over his shoulder at what Nankervis is dishing up in the reserves (which can only be a good thing).

The only other one who impressed me somewhat was Marsh, who came on after quarter time and was pretty decent in defence and through the midfield. He needs another couple of weeks, you'd think, before pushing for a senior recall, but it was a solid return after his few week layoff.

Rose, Jack, McGlynn and Hiscox all got plenty of the ball but butchered it far too often.

I'm with you Liz,if there was only a little more scoreboard pressure might have been a different finish.
    Toppies were generally good,Davis a bit wasteful but no worse than the rest,Hardman had a good go for a 16 yr old,Wilson just missed a couple of chances but kicked a cracker in the last qtr with a great pressure act which resulted in a goal that got them back into the game.Baron-Hey & Hebron good under the pump in defence for youngsters yet again..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast