Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Rnd 18 MDT. Sydney V Carlton. SCG. 13.45pm

Warming the Bench
    I wouldn't worry too much about this game. Conditions made it hard for clean disposal and Carlton kicked 3-4 goals they wouldn't be able to do if they tried 10 times.

Always good to win after playing badly. This was a very young side and we finally killed the clock.

Mills was sensational
    Grundy likewise

Hewett needs to stay upright. It's a bad look

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I don't think that is true, he tends to dive into contests head first and had got a few free kicks. Just because a few RWOer's have pointed this out doesn't make him a footballer that looks for penalties first, play the ball second.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Really? If he's in traffic, I reckon his first movement is to look to draw a free.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Hewett attacks the ball in a way similar to Joel Selwood. Goes in low and stays low when taking his first few steps with the ball, so draws a lot of free kicks. He's also the best set shot for goal on the team. If given a choice between taking either Hewett or Tom Mitchell, I'd take Hewett hands down.

Hewett's free kick winning action is a lot different than the one the commentators lauded by Jack Silvagni, where he lowered his body when he felt the breeze of Jake Lloyd's hand over his shoulder. If there was any high contact is was like a cotton ball falling on his shoulder. As soon as Silvagni starting dropping down to draw the free Lloyd moved his arm down to make a proper tackle. They called it high anyway. I thought there were a few questionable frees that went against us in the 4th qtr. Nonetheless, we do get sloppy with our tackling and give away too many legit frees, especially for high contact.

I thought Lloyd's game was generally good. He got lot's of the ball and used it well, but I don't like him as a defender. He's neither quick enough nor strong enough when he's the last man between himself and goal. He's much better as a link player moving through the midfield. I hope we give Nic Newman a shot at that role this week. He's got both of those things that Lloyd doesn't and is a lot quicker than McVeigh and probably a better kick as well. Newman will probably get caught out by the head flingers looking for free kicks, because he doesn't like to lower his body when tackling, something he will have to learn quickly if he finds himself one on one against the likes of Lindsay Thomas.

Senior Player
    Mixed feelings. Was a fairly dire game to watch. Barely getting up over Carlton is a concern.

On the other hand, got the win with a very young team and a combination of players that haven't played together much, so a good effort. Enjoyed watching the "ins" and thought the defence really stood up and saved the day.

The game was not pretty to watch at the SCG as Swans seemed to overuse handball. Got to the point that many people near me were screaming "kick it" just before another Swans handball turnover.

Interestingly the game did not seem so bad when I watched the replay on TV (knowing we won might have helped)

On the veteran's list
    People should be thrilled that we won the game. I thought it had danger written all over it. We had just come off a trio of massive games, two of which we lost be a bee's diaphragm on the siren and the other a big win at the cats' fortress! We had half a NEAFL team on the park and the Blues had run the WCE close the week before and were up to claim a big scalp. The windy conditions made our flip-it-around game treacherous. I see massive positives in getting the four points.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Wow.
    So glad we didn't lose that in the last two minutes.
    What an ugly game of footy.

I counted five occasions where the ball was left on the ground while the swans players were too busy playing the man.
    Had they picked up it, we probably would have won by enough percentage to be higher on the ladder.

What's the use in having 300 possessions (Hanners), if you're going to just kick/handball the ball to the opposition?
    Kick it to me.
    He's not the only one by far, but it's very frustrating to go to so much hard work to win the ball (like we should be working that hard!), only to pass it over to the opposition and they score.
    Very, very frustrating.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Not all that ugly when you watch a replay. Not that nice at the ground tho. But watching the tv version, the game was no where near as aaaagggghhhhh as it was from up in the stands.

Like Hewett. Lots. He is smart and I am glad he is on our list.
    Dan, oh Dan, oh Dan, what ..... as Tom wasn't all that flash during this game, so perhaps Dan was expecting him to "be there" and he just wasn't..... that's why he was handballing blindly..... someone was Supposed to Be There, as practiced.
    Allir Allir ... Respect young man. Talk about taking the opportunity with both hands and not relinquishing it.
    Toldyers.... X is going to be a good forward man. He is so flexible he bends his way out of trouble. Has he grown six cm in the last year?
    Foote looks like a keeper. I love the way the juniors turn up at senior games ready to roll. Just in to it.

What was going on with Isaac??? I could say a lot, but not very constructive. His second half was nothing like his woeful first half. Thank god.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

[QUOTE=AnnieH;702888]

I counted five occasions where the ball was left on the ground while the swans players were too busy playing the man.
    Had they picked up it, we probably would have won by enough percentage to be higher on the ladder.

QUOTE]

This frustrates me no end - I know one needs to be accountable to their man, but ultimately you can't win football games if you don't get the damn ball. We are the worst in the league for doing it, and it happened on several occasions on Saturday.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Not all that ugly when you watch a replay. Not that nice at the ground tho. But watching the tv version, the game was no where near as aaaagggghhhhh as it was from up in the stands.

Like Hewett. Lots. He is smart and I am glad he is on our list.
    Dan, oh Dan, oh Dan, what ..... as Tom wasn't all that flash during this game, so perhaps Dan was expecting him to "be there" and he just wasn't..... that's why he was handballing blindly..... someone was Supposed to Be There, as practiced.
    Allir Allir ... Respect young man. Talk about taking the opportunity with both hands and not relinquishing it.
    Toldyers.... X is going to be a good forward man. He is so flexible he bends his way out of trouble. Has he grown six cm in the last year?
    Foote looks like a keeper. I love the way the juniors turn up at senior games ready to roll. Just in to it.

What was going on with Isaac??? I could say a lot, but not very constructive. His second half was nothing like his woeful first half. Thank god.
    Problem with Hanners is; about 10 rounds ago he did a freakish handball that the world lauded, and he has been trying to do it again since without success. Get back to basics Dan. He also appears to call for the footy in the wrong spot and tries to ram his way through a tackle.

On Isaac; he showed that he is a midfielder in the second half. Really strong at the contest.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910