Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ted Richards

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    The Age reporting that he kept Buddy goalless in the 2012 GF. Watched a different game to the one I was at.
    From the press conference: "Without embarrassing him, I did keep Bud goalless once in 2012." I assume he means the round 5 win? I guess some journo wrote up their story on the run without reviewing the games...

Sad, even when you know it's coming. What a great pick-up and club man he has been. Amazing to think he was almost gone in 2010 and turned it around.

EDIT: note that The Age article now updated and has removed the incorrect information.
    Last edited by neilfws; 5th August 2016 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Well done Ted. How could anyone forget his magnificent efforts in the 2012 GF playing with a bunged-up foot and keep a true champion reasonably quiet. Superb contributor to this club.
    Agree, and although I've never watched a replay of it, from memory he damn near won us the 06 GF he was superb in that game, and had he not been knocked out he may well have won it for us.

Great career and is well and truly entitled to strut around the place wearing the name Super Ted.

Senior Player
    Buddy actually kicked 3.4 and had 24 disposals in the 2012 GF, but we shouldn't hold that against Ted, as Buddy is quite good at football.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    The Age reporting that he kept Buddy goalless in the 2012 GF. Watched a different game to the one I was at.

Veterans List
    Ted went into the 2012 GF with a bung foot (or was it ankle?). I'd asked him about it in the lead-up week and he said "no it's fine" but at the celebration GF dinner he was hobbling badly and I accused him "you lied to me" and he replied "I lied to everyone. We couldn't let the info get out. But it worked out okay on the day." And he has the Premiership medal to prove he was right.

The nicest, most honest, funniest of all Swans players. I also recall him sitting at our Trivia table when he'd been dropped to reserves. I asked him how it felt and he replied "They try to do it nicely. And they say that it's just to regain form. But it still rips your heart out."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Great bloke, who has made his contribution to the club not only on the field but in what it is. I'm sorry to see him go, although I think it's the right decision, and hope he can make a further contribution on the field before he heads off into the sunset.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    People forget that he won the Golden First Award. The most prestigious award in modern football history. Bound to get a mention on Bounce on Sunday night. Can't believe it wasn't mentioned in his presser.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    From the press conference: "Without embarrassing him, I did keep Bud goalless once in 2012." I assume he means the round 5 win? I guess some journo wrote up their story on the run without reviewing the games...

EDIT: note that The Age article now updated and has removed the incorrect information.
    Ahh righto. Gee that's lazy. I shouldn't be surprised.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Season 2016 to be Ted�s last
    Sad but he has nothing left to prove.
    A true champion of the game.
    And from the few times I have met Ted, he has been a really cool guy, happy to chat, smile and laugh with fans.
    Yes, he does seem to be a genuinely engaged and engaging person. Here's hoping that he resurrects, The Richards Report, for one or two more outings before the season's end.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Agree, and although I've never watched a replay of it, from memory he damn near won us the 06 GF he was superb in that game, and had he not been knocked out he may well have won it for us.

Great career and is well and truly entitled to strut around the place wearing the name Super Ted.
    Yes, that was the performance that sold me on Teddy. Before that, I had the attitude of, "Why did we use a high draft pick on an Essendon reject?" And it's not easy to imagine a situation where, we would've overcome the one point deficit, if Teddy hadn't been knocked out by one of West Coast's less than model citizens, Daniel Chick. It's also easy to imagine how Teddy could have been the Swans first Norm Smith medallist, as he was probably best on ground in the second half of that GF.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Great bloke, who has made his contribution to the club not only on the field but in what it is. I'm sorry to see him go, although I think it's the right decision, and hope he can make a further contribution on the field before he heads off into the sunset.
    Yes, I definitely think it's the right decision, due to the multiple concussions; since they are additive and the axonal damage does not heal. Which of course, makes it more likely, that any subsequent brain trauma will cause serious consequences.

Senior Player
    Ted is a very modest and selfless fellow, and he has always downplayed being the 2012 Golden Fist winner. He knows that a premiership medal means a lot to the other Swans, but doesn't want to bring them down by mentioning that the AFL hands out almost two dozen of them every year, so they don't have anywhere near the rarity value of the Golden Fist trophy. Memories of receiving the award from such a spiritual guy like Danny Frawley live on an esteemed show like Bounce regularly brings a tear to Ted's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    People forget that he won the Golden First Award. The most prestigious award in modern football history. Bound to get a mention on Bounce on Sunday night. Can't believe it wasn't mentioned in his presser.

(*Insert forward's name)... have you met Ted?

I'm so going to miss saying that.

What a fabulous, all-round nice guy our Teddy is. I bet Essenscum are still kicking themselves for letting him go.
    One of the funniest guys on the team. Always happy to receive a hug and have a chat.
    Hope to see him still hanging around next year.
    Stockbroker. Indeed. Defensive coach would have been a better career choice (but probably not as much moolah).
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast