Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round 19: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves @ Blacktown

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Simple solution: Give him a senior contract. He'd be the first one I would upgrade from the rookies.
    That's what we tried with Biggs. Bulldogs came in with an offer that promised better opportunities and off he went. Can see a similar situation happening with Newman.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    That's what we tried with Biggs. Bulldogs came in with an offer that promised better opportunities and off he went. Can see a similar situation happening with Newman.
    Hopefully we've learned our lesson and won't let that sort of thing happen again. I've got Newman penciled in our starting back 6 for next season. We'd be crazy to let him go.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Hopefully we've learned our lesson and won't let that sort of thing happen again. I've got Newman penciled in our starting back 6 for next season. We'd be crazy to let him go.
    There should be a spot available, because I hope we won't have to put up with Mills in defence next season. (It's just a matter of time before he moves on to apply his craft in the middle of the ground.)

There's a lot of competition for spots in the 2017 backline though. Laidler, Marsh and Newman today in the ressies and Jones out injured. I would also think O'Riordan would start his senior career as a halfback flanker.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There should be a spot available, because I hope we won't have to put up with Mills in defence next season. (It's just a matter of time before he moves on to apply his craft in the middle of the ground.)
    You would think that is the logical progression for Mills - despite just how good the kid has fitted into the back 6, his calling is clearly in the middle 6.

What a good season we are having - our seniors look every chance to go a long way deep, and our ressies are doing superbly, despite the significant call on a number of the better reserves players to make the step up to seniors.

I do worry about Newman being lured off elsewhere, but surely we must look to promote him. It may end up being a direct choice between elevating him or elevating Marsh - I feel its unlikely for either of them if they aren't promoted to not have some other clubs fishing around chasing them.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side
    Tough on X having to play twice.

Swans Clearances

• McGlynn 7
    • Foote 6
    • Leonardis 5
    • O'Riordan 3
    • Rose 3
    • Derickx 2
    • Galloway 2
    • Baron-Hay 1
    • Hiscox 1
    • McFadden 1
    • Newman 1
    • Robertson 1
    • Wilson 1

Total = 34

Lions Clearances
    • Cormick 9
    • Cutler 6
    • Josh Clayton 6
    • West 6
    • Jansen 5
    • Evans 3
    • Dennis 2
    • Beasley 1
    • Gordon 1
    • Ritchie 1

Total = 40

SwansTV highlights

NEAFL Highlights RD 19 - August 8, 2016 - sydneyswans.com.au

Hiscox's goal at 0:50 was the goal of the day for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    There's a lot of competition for spots in the 2017 backline though. Laidler, Marsh and Newman today in the ressies and Jones out injured. I would also think O'Riordan would start his senior career as a halfback flanker.
    If you had to choose between Marsh and Newman who would you take?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

I would keep marsh
    Marsh for me plays like a back that is a Swans Snr player that can play on smalls and med talls as marsh has a strong leap, good long kick and versatility

Newmanplays in ressies as a standout and player that has so much time.......noticed he is getting more time on ball now too......but he doesn't look to have the tank for Snrs as a small running back and he isn't a man marking small in comparison to mills, jones, smith

So where does he fit in to our best backs ?

Midfield maybe ?
    Let's see the tank in ressies ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12