Thread: Vale Brian Roberts

Vale Brian Roberts

RIP former Swan & Tiger, Brian "The Whale" Roberts, who passed away yesterday.

He was almost another Brownlow medalist for us in 1975, falling short by only 3 votes, despite only playing 15 games that season.

"Have an ale on the Whale"

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    RIP former Swan & Tiger, Brian "The Whale" Roberts, who passed away yesterday.

He was almost another Brownlow medalist for us in 1975, falling short by only 3 votes, despite only playing 15 games that season.

"Have an ale on the Whale"
    Part of a fantastic swap for us. We gave Richmond John Pitura who, I think played a season for them. Richmond gave us Whale Roberts who nearly won a Brownlow, Graham Teasdale who did win a Brownlow and Francis Jackson who was a terrific player for us. The Whale apparently was a great bloke - sad loss for two clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Part of a fantastic swap for us. We gave Richmond John Pitura who, I think played a season for them. Richmond gave us Whale Roberts who nearly won a Brownlow, Graham Teasdale who did win a Brownlow and Francis Jackson who was a terrific player for us. The Whale apparently was a great bloke - sad loss for two clubs.
    He was a great publican too ... I think a sad loss for the sporting world in general.

Veterans List
    Was a very good player in an era where a lot of players played hard off the field. Very enjoyable to watch.

Warming the Bench
    A top bloke and a very good footballer who represented Vic, SA & WA not many footballers would have done that.

RIP Whale!

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    RIP Whale!
    DITO

I used to stay at the Duke of Wellington 3 or 4 times a year in the 90's when going down for Swans games. Had many a late night in the bar well after closing with Whale and his staff. RIP big fella....

Senior Player
    Also had quite a few at "The Duke" with the Whale and the boys. He was a great host.

Remember the Whale settling a few over boisterous fans after the 96 GF. Some 20 something punk who obviously had no idea who Brian was took exception to being told to settle down. The Whale merely threw him out on to Flinders St. Went back to the bar and finished that 6 oz glass. Disturbance over, carry on folks. A genuine top bloke. RIP big fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk