Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this swans team the most fun team to watch since 1996?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Such a dull/workhorse player didn't even remember his first name.
    That is an incredibly harsh judgement on Jared Crouch in my opinion. He was purely representative of what made that team of the mid 'noughties' such a wonderful team in its own way. As hard as nails, and one of the best taggers going around - I'm sure Aker still wakes up with a cold sweat from time to time after dreaming about the nightmares that Crouch gave him on the football field over the years. It was on the basis of players like him - who maximised the returns on their footy talent (much in the same way as LRT) that made those teams so wonderful.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Don't forget that Jared was the fastest runner in the AFL at the time. Watching him sprint away with the ball was just as rewarding as watching Aker lose his cool when he was completely tagged out of the game.

Fair enough with Matthews, maybe Kirk, Bolton and Fosdike but Crouch was a genuinely exciting player with ball in hand. He'd often dash off with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Don't forget that Jared was the fastest runner in the AFL at the time. Watching him sprint away with the ball was just as rewarding as watching Aker lose his cool when he was completely tagged out of the game.
    Don't forget, he holds the record for the most games from debut

You're not serious?
    Crouchy was one of our toughest players.
    Couldn't have asked more of him in any game that he played.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    You're not serious?
    Crouchy was one of our toughest players.
    Couldn't have asked more of him in any game that he played.
    loving the Jared love. Go number 28.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Don't forget, he holds the record for the most games from debut
    Red wine makes for strong bones, obviously.

One of the things that make the Swans such an enjoyable club to barrack for is the way they put a list together and the many pleasant surprises we have with players that had little expectation when drafted.

I previously commented that all 4 of our ND picks from 2013 had played games this year and looked to be genuine AFL talent: Jones, Hewett, Nankervis and Aliir. I think Nankervis is on track to become a good AFL ruckman, whether with us or another club. The other 3 have already made their claims to long term careers in the senior side.

Another interesting fact is that all 6 of our 2012 rookie picks are still with us. They are: Jake Lloyd, Xavier Richards, Dane Rampe, Dan Robinson, Brandon Jack and Sam Naismith. Rampe would be unlucky not to be AA this year. I rate him the second best defender in the league, after Rance. It's still quite possible that all 6 will go on to have substantial AFL careers, which is remarkable when considering all started 4 years ago as rookies. I've never heard of such a success rate for so many rookies chosen in a single year. 6 out of 6 is truly unbelievable.

That's why we surprise all those Melbourne pundits with the continuity of our performances over a span of many years. It's not the COLA folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    One of the things that make the Swans such an enjoyable club to barrack for is the way they put a list together and the many pleasant surprises we have with players that had little expectation when drafted.

I previously commented that all 4 of our ND picks from 2013 had played games this year and looked to be genuine AFL talent: Jones, Hewett, Nankervis and Aliir. I think Nankervis is on track to become a good AFL ruckman, whether with us or another club. The other 3 have already made their claims to long term careers in the senior side.

Another interesting fact is that all 6 of our 2012 rookie picks are still with us. They are: Jake Lloyd, Xavier Richards, Dane Rampe, Dan Robinson, Brandon Jack and Sam Naismith. Rampe would be unlucky not to be AA this year. I rate him the second best defender in the league, after Rance. It's still quite possible that all 6 will go on to have substantial AFL careers, which is remarkable when considering all started 4 years ago as rookies. I've never heard of such a success rate for so many rookies chosen in a single year. 6 out of 6 is truly unbelievable.

That's why we surprise all those Melbourne pundits with the continuity of our performances over a span of many years. It's not the COLA folks!
    It's Kinnear Beetson is what it is.
    I've said for years if some other team out there wants the success that we've had in the past 16 years, they'd be drafting Kinnear.
    He's a genius. He sees things that no one else sees.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    At the start of the season I wrote at length about how last year soured me and I thought of giving footy away. But the kids' enthusiasm had won me over and I was enjoying watching even if, as the season went one, they tired and it went nowhere. Since then we've had more kids come onto the team and we've played better and better.

Now finals are approaching and we'll be there - I didn't expect that. And I still think we're too young to win the big one.

But this team has surprised me so many times that I'm ready for one more big surprise - and if it doesn't happen thanks for the ride Swannies 2016.

Senior Player
    Maltopia

I think Sam Reid is actually the Daniher type that you're thinking of. He can take some amazing marks crashing a pack from the side and I think we tend to forget that a bit due to him having been played as swing man and defence in the recent years. Next year is a big year for him

Damn right! And a great clubman.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast