Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 20: NT Thunder v Sydney Swans Reserves @ TIO Stadium

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Watching the replay

1st quarter. Lots of turnovers by both sides but Swans managed a few moments of clean and direct forward fifty entries to generate set shots at goal. NT trying to assert their physicality but gave away plenty of undisciplined frees

McGlynn trying hard but disposal again an issue.

Leonardis started in the middle and looks to be tagging Ilett.

Murray continuing his good form and was influential forward.

Derickx clearly second best in the hitouts to Guilhaus who looks impressive.

Rose playing midfield but pushed forward to kick two goals. One from superior running forward and one a huge 50m set shot that cleared the fence at the back.

Newman back in defence this week and providing the main outlet from defence.

Hiscox back to his fumbly old self after his assured performance last week.

Marsh marshalling the defence well and took some intercept marks in defensive fifty.

2nd quarter

That was hard watching as we didn't score a single point in that quarter. Thunder played more direct, more determined footy that quarter and dominated possession and territory. It was also the quarter of injury for us with ORiordan (hard to tell but might have been hit in the head in a marking contest) and Leonardis (poke in the eye or hit in the nose) both going off and not coming back in that quarter. Derickx and Newman also suffered heavy hits but played on

With a very inexperienced forward line, especially with Murray being pushed behind the ball, and not having the same push forward that the midfielders provided in the first quarter it was no surprise we had limited opportunities kicking at goal.

McGlynn was clearly the best for us in that quarter certainly can't fault his endeavour and work rate. Newman also did some clever things in tight spots but it felt like the rest of them expended most of their energy enervatingly chasing the Thunder players and had little to give going forward. None of the run off half back that was prominent in the first quarter.

Also once Leonardis went off his tagging target Ilett took charge kicking two goals and gathering many disposals.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Look up...
    That link doesn't work for me???

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    That link doesn't work for me???

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Link's okay - I'm watching it as we speak.

3rd quarter

Great start with Newman kicking a goal after 30 seconds followed by a good patch of locking it into our forward half. It was a good contest after that except that NT took more of their forward chances that quarter. However it was ruined when they kicked 2 very late goals both courtesy of very dubious umpiring decisions. Jared Brennan getting a 50m penalty that took him to the goalline and then Justin Cooper tackled high by McGlynn but clearly after the siren and Ilett converting the resulting free kick.

Leonardis was back that quarter but tellingly was stationed up forward instead of the midfield position he was occupying before his injury. O'Riordan didn't return and given it looked like a head knock don't think he will be back. Big Nathan Cooper was also shifted forward as Shaw tried to rectify the forward structure problems. Murray back to half back. However the main problem remained too many peripheral players in the Swans team that had to contribute more and it was left to a core group that had too much on their hands.

It was a very forgettable game after the 1st quarter. COR didn't play the 2nd half. I think he was injured, but not sure what it was.

McGlynn got plenty of the ball, but was generally wasteful.
    Rose was okay, but also made a fair share of errors.
    Newman, as usual, was probably our best. He looks the most ready for senior footy.

The one bright spot was Dawson. He didn't get heaps of the ball, but he can really take a good mark and his kicking is elite, whether kicking for goal or around the ground. It's yet to be seen how he would go at AFL intensity, but he could get a chance in the seniors some time next year if he pushes hard through the preseason.

4th quarter
    Marsh shifted to midfield and Newmawn to the wing as Shaw searches for a combination that can nullify their midfield dominance. Swans had a real hot go early on but again poor forward 50 efficiency meant they could not apply scoreboard pressure on the Thunder who were never troubled at the end. Conditions and playing with one less on the bench for the half finally told and the Swans looked really tired for the rest of the quarter.

Baron-Hay did well on Ewing all game, outpositioned a few times but held his own in general. Ewing has kicked big bags of goals at this ground.
    Interestingly, I don't think Galloway went into the ruck all game. Poor Derickx could barely drag himself to the ruck contest in the last few minutes

Ludwig - I disagree with Dawson to an extent. He looks good but needs to get more involved in the game. Hasn't really had an impact since his latest comeback from injury. Certainly not the form that we saw in the pre-season games.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Ludwig - I disagree with Dawson to an extent. He looks good but needs to get more involved in the game. Hasn't really had an impact since his latest comeback from injury. Certainly not the form that we saw in the pre-season games.
    That's the area the needs to improve. He doesn't show much energy in his game. But I'm sure that our development team see the same as we do, a player full of talent but needs to get more involved in the game. I would expect they will be pushing him in that direction preseason. It's also worth considering that he was injured most of last year and had a few small injuries this year as well, so he probably doesn't have the tank to go hard at this stage. I suppose we'll see how it turns out in the fullness of time. One thing for sure, he can really kicky the footy.

Best Players: B. McGlynn, J. Laidler, D. Baron-Hay, J. Rose, T. Derickx, H. Marsh

[QUOTE=ugg;704518]Best Players: B. McGlynn, J. Laidler, D. Baron-Hay, J. Rose, T. Derickx, H. Marsh[/QUOTE

Army mate at game heard COR had internal injury but not sure what?
    Leonardis broken nose might be reason he went forward & Derickx concussion plus Davis didn't even start game but was there !!!
    Looking light on for Ressies next week!

It was hard to tell from the replay, O'Riordan went up with a pack for a mark, went to ground and stayed down. Had to be helped off the field. Leonardis I initially thought caught a poke in the eye but given that he went off obviously it was more serious than that.

We'll get Ted back and possibly Nankervis if he is omitted for Tippett and not suspended for his bump on Fisher. We'll also get Foote back but probably lose another as that non-playing senior emergency.

Melican was listed as 1 week on the injury list last week.

Plus Talia gets his internal club suspension lifted on Friday 19th so theoretically he should be available as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast