Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sydney's stingy defence

Sydney's stingy defence

Was reading on the Herald Sun that the Swans are putting together one of the best defensive seasons in almost 5 decades!
    We concede 66.6 points a game this year and that is the 2nd fewest since 1969, behind Ross Lyon's St Kilda side of 2009 which conceded 63 points a game.
    I'm sure we all remember at the start of the season we were written off in the defensive aspect of our game saying we were too old etc.
    I'm really pleased how we've been able to slot in the likes of Mills, Aliir, Jones and in the past couple of weeks Cunningham in the back 50 and they are right at home alongside Reg, Rampe and Smith.
    Really confident going into the back end of the year with these blokes operating our back 50. If Rampe doesn't get the nod for the All-Australian side I'll be starting a riot

Veterans List
    That Cunningham bandwagon is getting bigger by the day. All I say is beware of what you wish for.

We have a very solid defence no doubt. Rampe and Grundy in All-Australian form. Though probably only Rampe will get the nod. The development of Aliir along with Mills and Jones has certainly been strong and bodes well for the future. Looking foward to Nic Newman getting his chance with Mitchell likely leaving and Mills slotting into the midfield. Future looks bright. And lets not forget Laidler, Talia (he owes the club big time) and Reid....

I'd still have Jones over Cunningham

Senior Player
    Our list is certainly looking so much better as the season has gone on. We still need Tahlia to come good or to have another strong KPD in the wings for when Reg finishes his career in say 2-3 years time (he turned 30 two months ago).

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by vleung1208 View Post
    We have a very solid defence no doubt. Rampe and Grundy in All-Australian form. Though probably only Rampe will get the nod. ....
    IMO Reg has been our best defender all year, even counting his poor game against the Tiggers. His leadership has kept our backline strong and allowed players like AA to slot straight into, what appears to be, a well drilled group.
    At the start of the year I was a little concerned, no where near as much as the media though, about how our backline would hold up. I was disappointed we didn't get Patful but, as others have said, I don't think he would get a run now anyway. As vleung1208 says above, a fit group of Reg, Rampe, Laidler, AA, Smooch, Jones, Tahlia and Mills is an impressive looking defensive unit. Throw in a midfield that can slow down and stop good entries and the future looks good. All we need is a little AJ miracle and it would be perfect.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Lot of love for Talia. I'll wait until he shows something before I jump on his bandwagon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I'd still have Jones over Cunningham
    Cunningham really isn't a defender. Just a floater in defence.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Lot of love for Talia...
    In this thread? Hopefully your not trying to throw some bait.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Who's the defence coach?
    Last edited by bloodsbigot; 10th August 2016 at 01:24 AM.

Henry Playfair. Interesting. He should probably stick to being a defensive coach rather than forward coach. lol

Also interesting is that he coached the forward line in 2012.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Henry Playfair. Interesting. He should probably stick to being a defensive coach rather than forward coach. lol

Also interesting is that he coached the forward line in 2012.
    As long as he's not allowed to coach our ruckmen on what to do in the goal square.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Lot of love for Talia.
    More so, a lot of hope I think......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast