Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Case for Nankervis over Naismith this weekend

Veterans List
    Whomever misses out will be unlucky. Loved Nankervis' game on the weekend but Naismith for me this week.

Its a great conundrum to have and a tough decision is to be made. Nankervis has been showing good signs of improvement with some more footy in recent weeks, and Naismith has been continuing on to do good things in the ruck.

I agree with other comments about North - I was also at the Wees and poos v Norf game on Saturday, and the impact speed can have against their fairly one paced midfield is significant. Not sure its the game to carry 3 big talls into the team with Tippo to return - but I think it could work too, but would probably be at the expense of Xavier Richards, who has impressed me in recent weeks -, with his excellent workrate and improving tank.

Its amazing what some confidence can do to how a player goes at the top level when they begin to feel they belong. We've seen it with all our youngsters this year - who week on week (maybe Papley is an exception - but he keeps showing us good snippets of what he can do) seem to be growing an extra inch as they realise 'we are good enough at this level'.

Naismith is the superior tap ruckman in my opionin, and every week I've been watching closely to see the combinations beginning to develop with our midfielders (he is going to be a real weapon in that space in time), but Nankervis has impressed around the ground more and more in recent weeks - somewhere where he is a bit in front of Naismith.

To be honest, as long as we show faith in whoever ends up being chosen into finals (i.e. assuming Tippo goes ok and does more rucking once finals arrives), then I'll be happy. I have them both well in front of Sinclair on current form, and they deserve faith of selectors as they've done a sensational job for us in Tippo's and Sinclair's absence. Our faith in inexperience and youth has paid rich dividends so far this season - and while Tippo is an obvious in, we should not abandon that policy going into finals. Show faith in what they can bring the team, and we may just be rewarded come September.

These are great concerns to have at this time of year. Fingers crossed we maintain a pretty healthy list, as I have a great feeling about September - I just love so much about how this team is developing, and even if it falls over come September, there is so much to like about the direction our club is heading.

But I have a growing belief that we are on the cusp of something special indeed - if we win well in Hobart on Saturday, I will be confident that the features of 2016 that remind me of 2012 are not just a hope, but a realisation that this team is good enough to stand up when it counts, and go all the way with some luck along the way. What an achievement just making a prelim final would be given the change in player personnel that has happened this year - but we know that this bunch won't be truly satisfied unless we put our best foot forward in the finals. And if we do that, then I think that could be enough for us to go awfully close to lifting the holy grail. I'll stop now - getting giddy, but by gee 2016 is proving to be such a wonderful season after what we endured in 2015

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Who was it? Dermott is my guess ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is one thing I want to see so badly this year - even if its not our Swans to do it, I want to see a team beat those arrogant wees and poos when it matters, and wipe the smile off their prominent smug, arrogant ex players in the media, and that nasty element of the fanbase. I desperately want it to be the boys in red and white, but I'd take anyone doing it. ABH all the way!!!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

A few interesting items from our injury list:

• Davis, Jones, Robbo and Sinclair could all be back for our first NEAFL final in 3 weeks time.
    • Sam Reid had surgery on his Plantaris Tendon, which effectively puts him out for the season, as the average recovery time is 6-8 weeks.
    • Michael Talia's name does not appear on the injury list and there was no mention of him in Harley's injury report. Based on earlier expected return dates he should be fit to play by now. Perhaps we will see him in the NEAFL this weekend. The game is a dead rubber for us, so we can manage his time as much as we want (not that we wouldn't do that anyway).

In summary, we could have up to 5 additional players available to play our first AFL final, although Zak Jones might be the only one to come under serious consideration.

Veteran Site Admin
    I agree with the couple of comments above. The fact that it is a dilemma who to drop to fit Tippo back into the team is a pretty amazing situation for the club to find itself in, given that the season looked to be teetering on the edge when Tippett went down.

I am in awe of these young blokes, and the coaching and development staff, that they are all so confident that they belong at senior level with so few senior AFL games to their name. A strong, experienced team should be able to absorb a couple of younger players with ease, but the fact we have had so many playing key roles for the second half of this season is pretty special.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I agree with the couple of comments above. The fact that it is a dilemma who to drop to fit Tippo back into the team is a pretty amazing situation for the club to find itself in, given that the season looked to be teetering on the edge when Tippett went down.

I am in awe of these young blokes, and the coaching and development staff, that they are all so confident that they belong at senior level with so few senior AFL games to their name. A strong, experienced team should be able to absorb a couple of younger players with ease, but the fact we have had so many playing key roles for the second half of this season is pretty special.
    +1
    This is what has made the season so enjoyable for me.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sam and Toby have been quite wonderful for us in Kurt's absence, I appreciate Kurt is the superior player to both but given how (unexpectedly?) well they've covered the ruck I don't think it's completely underselling things to say that Kurt's return from a long period out makes us "just" better?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Naismith for me stays in with young Nankervis to miss out. The interesting one is if Sinclair come back does he replace Naismith.

Sam Reid won't play this year.

The one I would like to see back in the side is Zak Jones. Great Grunt and toughness, however I would not drop Harry Cunningham for him. Harry is a great kick especially coming out of defence. If Zak was fit this week, I would drop George Hewitt. Not saying George deserves but I believe Harry is in our best team.
    I am a proud South Australian Sydney Swans Member - Go BLOODS

Senior Player
    My solution to the dilemma is to bring back Tippett via the reserves. He can't be very fit.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Naismith stays over Nankervis in my opinion. He's the genuine ruck and Tippett will likely return as a forward and backup ruck for the next two games.

It's harsh on Nankervis as he's played well recently, but we need to be focused on timing our run in to finals and I think Naismith is our best option to partner Tippett in those games.

No way would I bring Sinclair back in at this stage. He's a lesser ruck than Naismith and a lesser forward than Tippett.

Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    Naismith stays over Nankervis in my opinion. He's the genuine ruck and Tippett will likely return as a forward and backup ruck for the next two games.

It's harsh on Nankervis as he's played well recently, but we need to be focused on timing our run in to finals and I think Naismith is our best option to partner Tippett in those games.

No way would I bring Sinclair back in at this stage. He's a lesser ruck than Naismith and a lesser forward than Tippett.
    Fascinating debate.

I began favouring Nankervis due to the local knowledge but have found myself agreeing with many of the respondents on Naismith's rucking talent. I still worry about him up forward because if he is benched every time he tires that's one less rotation for the mid-field. I really like Nankervis up forward but his ruck work decreases the impact our mid-field have been enjoying through first use.

Agree on Sinclair should not be automatic selection.

Assume Tippett plays say 70% TOG this week; and 70% of that is as a forward. That means he plays some 7 minutes as a ruckman, and one of the N's plays some 23 minutes a quarter. But the load would be shared more the following week, and into the finals.

My solution would be to ask Nankervis to flog himself in the cold of Hobart, but then reintroduce Naismith in combination with Tippett for the remainder of the season. Naismith has had injury history, and is still young. A rest rather than a physical confrontation with Goldstein is in order.

Senior Player
    What about the article a few weeks back about other clubs circling around Nankers? Dropping him instead of Naismith when they have been pretty equal in performance/contribution to the team might make him more interested in those other opportunities elsewhere. Playing him might also get us more trade value for him if he does go if he keeps performing like he has been?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast