Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Road Ahead 2016 and beyond

The Road Ahead 2016 and beyond

Obviously we will argue over a few players that warrant Snrs but if we look at the lists below i think we are good hands

For me that extra year in Snrs and pre season for all players is massive but we have a few key areas that will lift again

Bud - back firing and playing in the Semi's would be a massive boost

Tippo and Sinclair - a very promising partnership and Tippo will be so much better off after half a season in the Ruck

Rohan - i just have a feeling he is ready to strike

Heeney and Mills - i mean we could have the next Michael Voss and Joel Selwood........these guys are young but serious weapons that will add so much year after year

the 7 > Towers, Jones, Mitchell, BJ, Lloyd, HarryC, Laidler - i think these guys will all lift to a new level. They have built a foundation of confidence and the beginnings of careers at the Swans. That is 7 players that go to a whole new level of imposing themselves on the game.

SENIORS:

Heeney, Tippo, Rohan
    KJack, Bud, Macca

Sinclair
    Parker
    Kennedy
    Hannes
    HarryC
    Lloyd

Rampe, Grundy, Jones
    Laidler, Ted, Smith

Bench:
    Towers
    BJ
    Mitchell
    Reidy

-----------

Ressies:

Rose, Nanko, Dawson
    McGlynn, Davis, Foote

Naismith
    Mills
    Robbo
    Hewett
    Hiscox
    Leonardis

Marsh, X, AA
    Newman, Talia, Melican

Bench:
    TomD
    Oriordan
    AJ
    Rookie?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Obviously we will argue over a few players that warrant Snrs but if we look at the lists below i think we are good hands

For me that extra year in Snrs and pre season for all players is massive but we have a few key areas that will lift again

Bud - back firing and playing in the Semi's would be a massive boost

Tippo and Sinclair - a very promising partnership and Tippo will be so much better off after half a season in the Ruck

Rohan - i just have a feeling he is ready to strike

Heeney and Mills - i mean we could have the next Michael Voss and Joel Selwood........these guys are young but serious weapons that will add so much year after year

the 7 > Towers, Jones, Mitchell, BJ, Lloyd, HarryC, Laidler - i think these guys will all lift to a new level. They have built a foundation of confidence and the beginnings of careers at the Swans. That is 7 players that go to a whole new level of imposing themselves on the game.

SENIORS:

Heeney, Tippo, Rohan
    KJack, Bud, Macca

Sinclair
    Parker
    Kennedy
    Hannes
    HarryC
    Lloyd

Rampe, Grundy, Jones
    Laidler, Ted, Smith

Bench:
    Towers
    BJ
    Mitchell
    Reidy

-----------

Ressies:

Rose, Nanko, Dawson
    McGlynn, Davis, Foote

Naismith
    Mills
    Robbo
    Hewett
    Hiscox
    Leonardis

Marsh, X, AA
    Newman, Talia, Melican

Bench:
    TomD
    Oriordan
    AJ
    Rookie?
    I love your optimism but my problem with your analysis, which I agree with, is that for mine we only have 25 genuine first teamers (the 22 listed plus Mills, Talia and McGlynn). I think you need 28 to deal with the rigours of injury.

If we can recruit a mature ager like an Adcock that would help and then we need to rely on two of the likes of Rose, Hewett and Sam having absolute breakthrough years.

We are just a little too light on for my liking, just think we are a year off...

possibly

The 10 players not in the 22 that I believe can step up and do a job in the event of prolonged injuries are

McGlynn
    Mills
    TomD
    Robbo
    Talia
    Newman
    X
    Nanko
    Marsh
    Naismith

Senior - westernbulldogs.com.au won 14 games and came 6th with no doubt some improvement in them in 2016

Senior - hawthornfc.com.au came 3rd and won 16 games the same as us

do these teams genuinely have 28 Snr players in each of their squads to carry them thru 2016 ?

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.
    If we have another tilt it would be 2017 and that�s about it. Next year will be a bit of hit and miss and we will end mid table - our midfield is too good not to win 11-13 games. Maybe make an elimination. I�m concerned for our defence though - there�s no depth: Richards and Grundy punched above their weight for years and in decline (albeit Reg had a great 2015), no Malchy, Rampe a great find but not big enough, Smith who�s an exceptionally good one-trick pony is getting older, Laids serviceable but not a KP. Ridiculously I�m hoping AJ can come back and make a difference but putting reliance on a bloke who�s had four knee recos is a little optimistic. Improvement in the defence will need to come from Jones and Rohan - inconsistent performers to date. And again, not tall players nor capable of playing tall like Rampe and Laids can in a pinch.

If we get games and consistency into Heeney, Mills, Jones, Rose, Rohan and even Robinson and Hewett we may press the following year. But this would leave Talia, Reid, Aliir Aliir (!!) and Xavier Richards to be KPPs over the next generation. Hmmm. None of these guys are pushing Ted and Reg atm.

Well, as I said to my mate, I�m just glad to snag two flags in my lifetime, cos it won�t happen for quite a while yet.

Hey ho.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mocaholic View Post
    If we have another tilt it would be 2017 and that�s about it. Next year will be a bit of hit and miss and we will end mid table - our midfield is too good not to win 11-13 games. Maybe make an elimination. I�m concerned for our defence though - there�s no depth: Richards and Grundy punched above their weight for years and in decline (albeit Reg had a great 2015), no Malchy, Rampe a great find but not big enough, Smith who�s an exceptionally good one-trick pony is getting older, Laids serviceable but not a KP. Ridiculously I�m hoping AJ can come back and make a difference but putting reliance on a bloke who�s had four knee recos is a little optimistic. Improvement in the defence will need to come from Jones and Rohan - inconsistent performers to date. And again, not tall players nor capable of playing tall like Rampe and Laids can in a pinch.

If we get games and consistency into Heeney, Mills, Jones, Rose, Rohan and even Robinson and Hewett we may press the following year. But this would leave Talia, Reid, Aliir Aliir (!!) and Xavier Richards to be KPPs over the next generation. Hmmm. None of these guys are pushing Ted and Reg atm.

Well, as I said to my mate, I�m just glad to snag two flags in my lifetime, cos it won�t happen for quite a while yet.

Hey ho.
    Talia will play from the off, or very soon thereafter. Reid will continue swinging between defence and attack.

Aliir and Xav will get game time in the firsts and, I think, show enough to go further. Alex is one of the most determined people I know and I'd bet on him to be playing well before season's end (not to put the mockers on him!). If Rampe can be more consistent, e.g. get past the alternation between brilliant/clanger, he will do as a replacement for Mal and is a better defender than Mal already.

If we hadn't had those injuries/illnesses right at the end of the season we would probably have played in the GF, and if we can keep the best 22 on the park we'll get there or thereabouts again.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    possibly

The 10 players not in the 22 that I believe can step up and do a job in the event of prolonged injuries are

McGlynn
    Mills
    TomD
    Robbo
    Talia
    Newman
    X
    Nanko
    Marsh
    Naismith

If we re-rookie Marsh. I don't think Derrickx is much chop. You left Rose out. I'd definitely have him ahead of marsh or Derrickx. I don't think Marsh is good enough for AFL frankly. My smokies are Abaina Davis and George Hewett.

Quote Originally Posted by mocaholic View Post

Hey ho.
    Talia has been drafted for a reason. He is the Ted replacement as that became urgent as Teddy had a few VERY poor games last season. I think both X & Aliir will be good but you must remember they are young defenders and need time. That is why Talia is so important and he can also play third tall when needed. His inclusion in our squad gives us options. Against teams full of small forwards, eg; Freo, we would not play three talls we would play a Laidler. but against teams with three or more huge forwards we play Talia.

I agree as to premierships. We are going to be hard pushed to win one next season while we blood players and build the list into experience. Very difficult to win premierships with up to 11 players under 50 games playing at times due to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Talia will play from the off, or very soon thereafter. Reid will continue swinging between defence and attack.

Aliir and Xav will get game time in the firsts and, I think, show enough to go further. Alex is one of the most determined people I know and I'd bet on him to be playing well before season's end (not to put the mockers on him!). If Rampe can be more consistent, e.g. get past the alternation between brilliant/clanger, he will do as a replacement for Mal and is a better defender than Mal already.

If we hadn't had those injuries/illnesses right at the end of the season we would probably have played in the GF, and if we can keep the best 22 on the park we'll get there or thereabouts again.

I don't agree about Reid. with a more settled backline due to the recruitment of Talia I don't think Reid is needed as a swingman. I personally like him at CHF. In the games Bud and tip were missing Reid played very well and kicked some pretty impressive scores (he does need to get accuracy right, could have had 5 goals in 4 games straight). When played at CHF he absolutely fires. It is when his role is less defined that he suffers and goes out of the game. I think that Buddy should play on the flank and Reid CHF. That gives the Budster license to go wherever he wants. I agree Rampe is a better defender than Mal and you are right without the clangers he could be elite. Less smoking and going out and more footy Ramps.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    If Reid puts it all together and has a massive season then our forward line should be unstoppable...kid has all the talent imaginable and we just started to see it on a bit more of a consistent basis before he got injured last year.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't agree about Reid. with a more settled backline due to the recruitment of Talia I don't think Reid is needed as a swingman. I personally like him at CHF. In the games Bud and tip were missing Reid played very well and kicked some pretty impressive scores (he does need to get accuracy right, could have had 5 goals in 4 games straight). When played at CHF he absolutely fires. It is when his role is less defined that he suffers and goes out of the game. I think that Buddy should play on the flank and Reid CHF. That gives the Budster license to go wherever he wants. I agree Rampe is a better defender than Mal and you are right without the clangers he could be elite. Less smoking and going out and more footy Ramps.
    My thoughts almost exactly. I think Bud on the wing is a winner. We get back what we lost with Jetta and free up Reid as CHF.Also gives Tippet and Sinclair more room.Otherwise we are a bit too heavy in the forward line. Of course, depending on match ups that might change but it would be a good move.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Agree that bud on the wing is a good move, probably more for stints than the whole game but it certainly adds another dynamic. A bit of a Goodes ( in his hey day) presence of big body with agility and pace that can break the lines. The bonus with buddy is his delivery inside F50 can be sublime, one thing we need.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast