Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Booing

Booing

I find it almost amusing that Aussies are taking to social media to resoundly condemn the Rio Olympic sporting spectators for booing French pole vaulter Renaud Lavillenie during the final in which he was competing against a Brazilian.

I don't recall this high-horse disgusted reaction to fan-displayed poor sportsmanship on Australian social media, 12 months ago.

Senior Player
    The Brazilians just don't like the way he pole vaults. There is nothing racist or nationalistic about their booing.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I find it almost amusing that Aussies are taking to social media to resoundly condemn the Rio Olympic sporting spectators for booing French pole vaulter Renaud Lavillenie during the final in which he was competing against a Brazilian.

I don't recall this high-horse disgusted reaction to fan-displayed poor sportsmanship on Australian social media, 12 months ago.
    Last edited by KTigers; 18th August 2016 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    The Brazilians just don't like the way he (or is it a she?) pole vaults. There is nothing racist or nationalistic about their booing.
    No, they booed because the French vaulter was competing against a Brazilian.

My point was that on Australian social media (eg the MSN comments to the original story) every single comment that was posted condemned the Brazilian sporting public for booing.

After any Goodes article 12 months ago on the issue, the majority of comments seemed to either praise the booers or condemned Goodsey. Not all, but many.

My issue is with the contradicting responses by many of the Facebook/MSN community about similar issues

Senior Player
    Yeah, my comment was a reference to the claim by many of the dickheads who booed Adam last year that their booing didn't have racist overtones but was because "they didn't like the way he played footy".

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yeah, my comment was a reference to the claim by many of the dickheads who booed Adam last year that their booing didn't have racist overtones but was because "they didn't like the way he played footy".
    Same page then

Goes up to 11
    People commenting on social media aren't necessarily representative of everyone. The majority of Australians were against the booing of Goodsey last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    People commenting on social media aren't necessarily representative of everyone. The majority of Australians were against the booing of Goodsey last year.
    The silent majority didn't do enough to shout down the vocal minority IMO. It always annoyed me. Rant over

The silent majority didn't do enough to shout down the vocal minority IMO. It always annoyed me. Rant over
    There are only so many of us troll-slayers out there.
    One troll at a time.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    There are only so many of us troll-slayers out there.
    One troll at a time.
    I eventually gave up trying rational argument and just sent them a variety of bridges they could go back to.

Making silent people shout is a contradiction.
    And i thibk you'll find the majority was on the boo ers side.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Making silent people shout is a contradiction.
    And i thibk you'll find the majority was on the boo ers side.
    And I thibk you'll find that my response was to jono2707 saying the majority of people were "against the booing of Adam Goodes last year"

I've always thought the other indigenous players didn't do enough. If Rioli, Burgoyne and Brad Hill stood up and told their own fans that the booing was unacceptable and it offended them, maybe some good would have come from it. Most teams have an indigenous favourite son who could have delivered the same message.

I was overseas for the worst of it, so was observing from afar, but I saw diddly squat from the other indigenous players and that annoyed me. Rant over.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast