Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 22 v North Melbourne

Senior Player
    I grew up there, and all thru high school I got up at 5:30 AM to do a paper round. Early in the week was OK because the Mercury had less pages and so my paper bag weighed less, and I could do the round running, and would stay warm that way. Saturday, when the paper had two sections, wasn't a lot of fun in winter I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Just as an aside .... it's freezing down here in Hobart!!
    Arrived this morning. Shoulda brought more jumpers with me! Bring on Saturday!!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Do any of our players play in long sleeves? I can't remember any that do.
    Jetta did. I believe Aliir favours them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Do any of our players play in long sleeves? I can't remember any that do.
    Long sleeves?! I'd be wearing thermals or a wetsuit!

Actually it wasn't/isn't too bad. I'd been atop Mt Wellington building a small snowman prior to typing my previous post so I was feeling a tad chilly. But it's nice now.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    In: Tippo & McGlynn
    Out: Nankervis & Jack
    Wrong, just wrong. I think Horse should have really given Teddy a chance to re-invent himself as a large-bodied midfielder, as they are all the rage ATM, for the last few games of the season. His hands are good and is definitely a better field kick than a number of our midfielders and he can also drift forward for a few goals. A missed opportunity that could cost us the four points this week. :-(
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Wrong, just wrong. I think Horse should have really given Teddy a chance to re-invent himself as a large-bodied midfielder, as they are all the rage ATM, for the last few games of the season. His hands are good and is definitely a better field kick than a number of our midfielders and he can also drift forward for a few goals. A missed opportunity that could cost us the four points this week. :-(
    Not much of a choice, really. Teddy was suspended in NEAFL for a week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Long sleeves?! I'd be wearing thermals or a wetsuit!

Actually it wasn't/isn't too bad. I'd been atop Mt Wellington building a small snowman prior to typing my previous post so I was feeling a tad chilly. But it's nice now.
    I'll think of you whilst enjoying a warming whisky and sitting in my heated lounge room tomorrow arvo!!

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere but I thought it was interesting on how the Swans game plan has changed. Between rounds 1-18 we were 2nd for long kicks into forward 50, now between rounds 19-21 we are 18th. For short kicks into Forward 50 we were 15th now we are first. For average marks we were 17th,now we are 6th and for goals per 50m entry as a percentage, we were 13th and now we are 2nd. This happened after the Hawthorn game, I am wondering if they decided to change their game plan so they can upset others in the finals, particularly Hawthorn? Maybe this decision was made long ago and only implemented from round 19 onwards? Just wondering what others think?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere but I thought it was interesting on how the Swans game plan has changed. Between rounds 1-18 we were 2nd for long kicks into forward 50, now between rounds 19-21 we are 18th. For short kicks into Forward 50 we were 15th now we are first. For average marks we were 17th,now we are 6th and for goals per 50m entry as a percentage, we were 13th and now we are 2nd. This happened after the Hawthorn game, I am wondering if they decided to change their game plan so they can upset others in the finals, particularly Hawthorn? Maybe this decision was made long ago and only implemented from round 19 onwards? Just wondering what others think?
    It is quite a remarkable change in a short period of time.

I think they definitely tried to do something different for the Geelong game. It had been well publicised ahead of that game that the lower ranked teams who had beaten the Cats had done so by targeting short passes into their forward line, with an observation at how good the experienced Cats defence is at picking off the long ball forward. That game was clearly a success for the Swans, with Buddy kicking just the one but multiple other players chipping in with plenty of goals. And lo and behold, the team seems to have realised it's a game plan that can be effective against other clubs too, rather than just the blind hack forward.

The best teams can alter their style depending on what is working, how the opposition structures up, and the ground/weather conditions. I imagine we will see the long-bomb forward method re-emerge at some stage (especially against teams who put more pressure on the midfield) but it is certainly reassuring to see that the team can execute the skills to play other ways. The team seems to have realised that it has forward options apart from Buddy (and Tippett), who are better leading up towards the kicker rather than having a ball kicked on top of them.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What's really remarkable is how far ahead of the coaching staff we are on RWO. We've all been saying that we should stop bombing it into Buddy for a long. They're finally listening to us.

Pushing for Selection
    Am I the only one kind of hoping for mcglynn to prove his worth tomorrow? I still feel a bit sad for him (and Rohan) missing out on 2012, and I'm really hoping he can contribute well enough to keep his place in the team into the finals.

It was the changing of the ruckmen guard that turned our fortunes around.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

I think they definitely tried to do something different for the Geelong game. It had been well publicised ahead of that game that the lower ranked teams who had beaten the Cats had done so by targeting short passes into their forward line, with an observation at how good the experienced Cats defence is at picking off the long ball forward. That game was clearly a success for the Swans, with Buddy kicking just the one but multiple other players chipping in with plenty of goals. And lo and behold, the team seems to have realised it's a game plan that can be effective against other clubs too, rather than just the blind hack forward.
    I heard those stats on one of the AFL podcasts this week, I think it was The Roar or the Superfooty podcast. We often hear how it is difficult for teams to change tactics and style mid way through a season so it is very impressive that the boys have been able to change the game plan "on-the-run" so to speak.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast