Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mills, Rampe and AA

I blame 'connolly', back in the day didn't he preach Bevo as the ultimate quarterback??

I do miss that guy, liked him a lot as a poster....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    'Quarterback style defender' and 'good user of the ball out of defence' are both perfectly acceptable descriptions of Mills' play.

The quarterback reference is to his organisational skills in the defensive area, and not just to his own personal play.

The good user refers to his disposal of the ball out of the back line.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Annoying, boorish, American gibberish rubbish (which should be flushed from the commentary of our game along with such twaddle as "suiting up", "rosters", "franchises", "tables" "conferences" and "Team [insert name]"). Not to mention "foot candy" and "dukes"!

There is no such thing as a quarterback in Aussie Rules, let alone a quarterback defender. Even in American football the quarterback is the player LEAST likely to defend in the whole team. Mills can be described as a good user of the ball out defence.
    *yawn*

Fullback, halfback.. What would describe perfectly a defender that plays between the lines of halfback and centre? Oh, a quarterback.
    C'mon Chels!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Annoying, boorish, American gibberish rubbish (which should be flushed from the commentary of our game along with such twaddle as "suiting up", "rosters", "franchises", "tables" "conferences" and "Team [insert name]"). Not to mention "foot candy" and "dukes"!

There is no such thing as a quarterback in Aussie Rules, let alone a quarterback defender. Even in American football the quarterback is the player LEAST likely to defend in the whole team. Mills can be described as a good user of the ball out defence.
    So I suppose hearing the expressions sweeper and goal keeper used when discussing defenders would be giving you a paroxysm ????

Senior Player
    When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about Rampe and his almost certain All_Australian nom.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    In the AFL Exchange podcast Alex Rance ranked Dane as his number one finals "hero" (okay I can't remember the term exactly but was something like that) who isn't an obvious star ala Buddy, Cyril, Danger etc.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about Rampe and his almost certain All_Australian nom.
    I thought the same, and was going to comment that while Mills has been spectacularly good for a first year player, I didn't think he'd quite be in AA contention. Not for season 2016 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    So I suppose hearing the expressions sweeper and goal keeper used when discussing defenders would be giving you a paroxysm ??
    Australian football has a perfectly good lexicon of its own, but there is no harm in judicious introduction of new and borrowed terms. The trouble is, it's hardly ever judicious, and usually designed to display the user's knowledge of other sports, even if the terms they use are not particularly apt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    So I suppose hearing the expressions sweeper and goal keeper used when discussing defenders would be giving you a paroxysm ????
    Australian football has a perfectly good lexicon of its own, but there is no harm in judicious introduction of new and borrowed terms. The trouble is, it's hardly ever judicious, and usually designed to display the user's knowledge of other sports, even if the terms they use are not particularly apt.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I actually like the sweeper description especially as I am not sure that there is currently a word or designated position that covers the role that is undertaken by any player thus nominated. Loose man in defence probably the closest but a bit cumbersome by comparison.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I often think of McVeigh as a traffic cop.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    I see Mills is now rising star favourite. Makes me less nervous than "flag favourites"

Rising Star favourite Callum Mills now among Sydney's best, says Longmire | Sport | The Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I often think of McVeigh as a traffic cop.
    Never there when you need him but always around if you don't?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast