Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mills, Rampe and AA

Mills, Rampe and AA

Every player is there own man but the way that Mills attacks the ball especially in the air...........the composure he plays at ground level so reminds me of the way that Luke Hodge played his first season............off the HBF and a fair % of time at the back of the midfield movements Mills also has that strong long kick of Hodge and natural leadership for an 18yr old

A massive asset is having the HBF that can read the game so well and direct the team around.............over the years you hear so many team mates of Luke Hodge saying it is like having another Alistair out on the field..........For me Mills exudes these same special qualities

Mills and Jones our small backs of the future but most importantly they are the NOW - smithy already doing the incumbent job on the smalls in the backs and incredibly the development of Rampe playing on mid talls and genuine talls..... so effectively.... has been a revelation this season

I can not believe how well Rampe, AA and Mills are playing in our backline this season > their decision making, execution and skill is just awesome to watch !!!!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Its kind of thrilling isn't it. Just quietly while noone else is watching you kind of hug yourself. Love watching them play, Rampe giving no quarter but with style, Mills having such nouse and ability and grace, and Jones being a hard nosed attacking backman. I love it. The incumbent backline is in the process of handing over its duties with assuredness. We are lucky.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List
    I can't agree any more strongly, one thing I found out that reiterates this is that when horse needs to get a message to the backline the runner goes to mills as he is the best at breaking it down and communicating with the other backs. He sees the game so well that he is s already that general in defence

Veteran Site Admin
    As good as Mills has been in defence this year, don't get too used to him hanging around there. He'll make his way into the midfield before too long, and expect his influence to be even greater as he steps into the role he played most of his junior footy in.

That said, as his career progresses, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play the kind of role Hodge and Bartel have at times during their careers, dropping back and marshalling the defensive forces when most needed.

Agree Liz
    I should have been a little clearer re mills and his rotation of HBF and midfield

I am guessing with the way we play footy he will be more then 50% in the midfield but he has such great qualities suited to marshalling on the HBF like hodge who averages out his time in different roles behind the pack

Pushing for Selection
    Brad Scott was pretty damn complimentary to rampe in the post match interview. He got asked if he was disappointed that kangas weren't able to exploit the mismatch between Ben brown and rampe. He shot the journalist down saying that it wasn't a mismatch and that rampe holds is own against all the players he has been up against this year.

Rampe has also clearly moved to more of a classic 3rd man-on-man defender since Laidler went out and Cunningham came in. Harry and Jake Lloyd are playing as the running defenders, along with Mills as the quarterback style defender, and Rampe is thus not able to range as much as he was earlier in the season. The fact that he has adjusted so quickly and so well only further highlights how good he now is.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Mills as the quarterback style defender
    Annoying, boorish, American gibberish rubbish (which should be flushed from the commentary of our game along with such twaddle as "suiting up", "rosters", "franchises", "tables" "conferences" and "Team [insert name]"). Not to mention "foot candy" and "dukes"!

There is no such thing as a quarterback in Aussie Rules, let alone a quarterback defender. Even in American football the quarterback is the player LEAST likely to defend in the whole team. Mills can be described as a good user of the ball out defence.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    The future of the backline was probably my biggest concern going into this year, with a couple of veterans getting old and the continued loss of AJ. I see now I should not have worried! As well as the new guys, Rampe has gone to another level and let's not forget Grundy, playing some of his best.

Obviously I need to watch more ressies to know who's coming through.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Annoying, boorish, American gibberish rubbish (which should be flushed from the commentary of our game along with such twaddle as "suiting up", "rosters", "franchises", "tables" "conferences" and "Team [insert name]"). Not to mention "foot candy" and "dukes"!

There is no such thing as a quarterback in Aussie Rules, let alone a quarterback defender. Even in American football the quarterback is the player LEAST likely to defend in the whole team. Mills can be described as a good user of the ball out defence.
    Agree.....but besides that three word slip up, Doctors post was pretty spot on!

Mills can be described as a good user of the ball out defence.
    It's much easier to call him a quarter-back style defender. It also paints a better visual picture of what type of defender he is.

Quick; to the point; it communicates an idea effectively. I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

This 'purism' of Australian English sickens me sometimes.

I said "quarterback STYLE" to use it as a comparison. What there is no need for is holier-than-thou responses that reflect a misread of my post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Agree.....but besides that three word slip up, Doctors post was pretty spot on!
    Thanks stevo. That's far more measured. :-)
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast