Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 23 v Richmond

Two words
    Harry marsh !!!

Marsh could give us a bit of a taller profile in the back line. It does seem that he's moved ahead of Laidler for the time being. I feel a slightly taller defence could be useful against Adelaide and Geelong.

I think Towers and McGlynn are vying for the final spot in the forward line. I slightly favour McGlynn because finals footy more suits his style of play. He was okay last week. Let's see how he goes this week.

Senior Player
    McGlynn has slowed this season and will gather fewer possessions than Towers, but I'd prefer him. McGlynn will stick his tackles, be more accurate in front of goal, and use it better. Towers is brittle and unreliable. It's a bummer, because Towers is athletic and could be an important player, but he's squandered his chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Marsh could give us a bit of a taller profile in the back line. It does seem that he's moved ahead of Laidler for the time being. I feel a slightly taller defence could be useful against Adelaide and Geelong.

I think Towers and McGlynn are vying for the final spot in the forward line. I slightly favour McGlynn because finals footy more suits his style of play. He was okay last week. Let's see how he goes this week.
    People may be forgetting that Towers was one of our better finals performers last year in an extremely undermanned forward half! I think it's unfair to label McGlynn ahead of him as far as finals go considering McGlynn has shown the last few years that finals haven't been his strong point!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    People may be forgetting that Towers was one of our better finals performers last year in an extremely undermanned forward half! I think it's unfair to label McGlynn ahead of him as far as finals go considering McGlynn has shown the last few years that finals haven't been his strong point!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Agree, Towers stood up against Freo in the first week of the finals after Reid went down, and his form lately hasn't been 'droppable' I believe. Tough call on him, and I don't think Benny's form has been great. Maybe sentiment is playing a part. I dare say if he flops this week, Towers will be straight back in.

Marsh is shorter than Laidler, in any case I think they play a similar role anyway.

He's played 3 games, the last of them in Rd 12, and only a couple in the reserves since then. I like him as a player but just seems an odd selection to me at this stage given other options and the fact he hasn't played much in the second half of the year.

X.Richards has done OK against poor opposition, but he will struggle badly in finals. I would expect he makes way as Tommy Walsh did in 2012.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Marsh is shorter than Laidler, in any case I think they play a similar role anyway.

He's played 3 games, the last of them in Rd 12, and only a couple in the reserves since then. I like him as a player but just seems an odd selection to me at this stage given other options and the fact he hasn't played much in the second half of the year.

X.Richards has done OK against poor opposition, but he will struggle badly in finals. I would expect he makes way as Tommy Walsh did in 2012.
    Harsh on Richards - he's been decent in every game, and that's all you can ask. Can mark on the lead and kick straight. Took a cracking contested mark to seal it last week. No chance he makes way.

For who would he make way steve? The obvious man he was holding place for wont be back in s reid, and if he is replaced by towers/mcglynn as the last one in the 22, then that would mark a substantial change in shape in the forward line. Id be exceptionally suprised if xr makes way unless he puts in a shocker.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I think you have to put in context where Richards is at.

As recently as Rd 17 we were preferring his brother as a forward, and since coming in he's played against Carlton, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and North. He'll presumably do OK against Richmond this week.

As a forward he's more of an athletic, leading type than a contested mark, bring the ball to ground player. I'd prefer Towers given his flexibility, and I don't think we need another tall up forward with Franklin, Tippett and then Heeney and Rohan who are better overhead than Richards anyway.

I have nothing against him, if he plays I hope he does well - but personally I haven't seen anything to show he'll be able to be a major contributor in finals.

Senior Player
    If it comes down to simply a choice Xavier or Dean then it's not a clear cut call. While X has done nothing wrong since coming in and had been impressive in his work rate and ability to cover the ground my gut feel is that Dean has more runs on the board with the selection panel and in my opinion they have a pretty good track record.

Unexpected!
    Selection is a big deal this week with a bye next week and then hopefully another one should we make the QF and win. If you are out now hard to come back in - ie Sinclair, Ted, Laidler and now Towers.

Strange for Laidler to drop out of favour so abruptly. Maybe the old running over the Coach's dog caper.

I think you have to put in context where Richards is at.

As recently as Rd 17 we were preferring his brother as a forward, and since coming in he's played against Carlton, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and North. He'll presumably do OK against Richmond this week.

As a forward he's more of an athletic, leading type than a contested mark, bring the ball to ground player. I'd prefer Towers given his flexibility, and I don't think we need another tall up forward with Franklin, Tippett and then Heeney and Rohan who are better overhead than Richards anyway.

I have nothing against him, if he plays I hope he does well - but personally I haven't seen anything to show he'll be able to be a major contributor in finals.
    What have you seen in Towers that makes him more valuable to the team? Yes it's true that X hasn't really been tested, though I thought he did pretty well last week in our most pressured game for awhile, Towers still reminds me too much of a deer in the headlights when he is under pressure and I don't think we need that in finals.
    I reckon it's X's spot to lose, looks like the match committee has made their choice.