Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 23 v Richmond

Changes for Round 23 v Richmond

Kieren Jack comes back in (we hope). Who goes out? I've only watched the North game at the pub while I was out of town but I thought Benny had a decent game. I note he laid a team high 8 tackles. Conversely, Heeney, who I thought did a lot of good stuff and is sometimes a prolific tackler, didn't lay a single tackle. This makes me a little reluctant to drop Benny. The only other candidate that I can see us dropping is Harry. The problem there is we would need to re-jig the whole set up for someone to switch into the defensive role Harry has been playing and who would it be? - Lloyd? I can't see Kizza being moved back, nor Benny or even Gazza. Is this a good idea or is it better to stick with the simple switch of Kizza for Benny?

Beyond this week, I can't see any of our injured players (nor Talia) returning to the team this year. Reid, Jones and Sinclair et. al. will not return to the team for finals regardless of whether they become fit (except, perhaps, in the case of injuries/suspensions). We are more likely to rely on the likes of Foote, Laidler, Teddy, Marsh (?), Rose and BJ for depth. Would love to see them give Newman a go but I guess they would have done it by now if they were going to.

I am curious why Laidler has dropped so far down the selection committee's priorities. Did his game deteriorate or did Marsh, Aliir and now Harry just overtake him? I suppose it must be his ball use and rebound that is hurting him as he has always seemed like a pretty dependable defender? Do others have thoughts about this?

Overall I am only slightly nervous about playing the Tiges despite our dire recent record against them. Instead I have faith we can pound them and secure the win and percentage we need to finish top!

Regular in the Side
    I thought Harry was poor on Saturday ... does not go in hard and kicking under pressure was suspect ... would be a real liability in finals as a back line player IMO.
    Papley is loveable but very patchy with both possession and disposal ... needs a good all round game this week for me to feel comfortable for the next week.

Warming the Bench
    Jack in for Mcglynn or Cunningham.

Griffiths is out for Richmond.

I thought McGlynn's 1st half was terrible, but certainly picked up in the second half. This may have just been a case of taking time to re-adjust to the pace of the seniors game, but he didn't do enough imo to make anybody else make way should Kizza be okay to return.

Cunningham was very poor on TV, not sure whether at the ground gave a different perspective on whether he had a job to do or not, but he's been pretty good the past month and I can't see him missing in place of McG.

Lloyd is in a purple patch of form atm and is playing that Fosdike role more and more each week.

I see Griffiths has been ruled out for the Tiggers already which should make Reg happy, he is the only player to have gotten the better of him all year...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

In: Jack
    Out: McGlynn

McGlynn didnt seem too interested in defense from what I saw.

On the Rookie List
    Regarding laidler; he's a good mark and solid defender but he can be exposed for pace. If Macca plays then laidler makes the backline just that little bit too slow. Lloyd and Harry have got him for pace and with aliir we have freed up rampe to play loose. I thought Harry linked up well and they gave him kicking duties so they clearly trust his disposal. Lloyd rarely misses a target and runs all day.

Onto KJ, whoever goes out will be stiff. It is either going to be benny, papley or Harry. If benny is playing his last season then I would love for him to squeeze every drop out of himself. Papley has a long career ahead of him and is a genuine crumber and harry has become a great lock down defender who gets his share of it. In short: I don't know. Probably benny?

Thirdly, yes, I'm @@@@ting myself about playing bloody Richmond. There's nothing more Richmond than losing embarrassingly to a side out of the eight then backing it up with a win against the top side. Don't call me during the game, I won't be watching.

In. Jack, Laidler.
    Out. McGlynn or Papley, Cunningham.

The interesting thing about Laidler vs Cunningham is that Laider is the better footballer, but Cunninghams pace is probably keep him in ahead of Laidler.
    I have a feeling Laidler is backup to a settled back six. But I have a feeling Horse is still a little nervous about Allir in the finals.

Aliir has hardly put a foot wrong in the past month so I hope Horse continues to back him in the finals. Struggled early on Saturday but worked his way back in to the game really well. The turn over on half back wasn't great, but Rohan didn't help it by standing stationary and waiting for the ball.

Jack for McGlynn for me.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    Aliir has hardly put a foot wrong in the past month so I hope Horse continues to back him in the finals. Struggled early on Saturday but worked his way back in to the game really well. The turn over on half back wasn't great, but Rohan didn't help it by standing stationary and waiting for the ball.
    Tadhg ... first Irish born premiership player ... Aliir ... first Sudanese premiership player?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Tadhg ... first Irish born premiership player ... Aliir ... first Sudanese premiership player?
    Mike Pyke, first Canadian premiership player.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast