Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Support of Goodesy

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Support of Goodesy

On Footy Classified tonight, Caroline Wilson commented on the AFL's approach to the Eddie Betts incident, saying that their quick and vigorous response was all well and good but a year too late. She said it was a great shame the AFL didn't stand up for Goodesy as well and that what happened in the Adelaide game on Saturday night was exactly what Goodesy copped - blatant racism.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Spot on.

Unfortunately, it's easier to take on a banana than a legion.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

So pleased Caroline said this. I've been thinking the same thing all day - on the one hand I'm delighted to see the swift condemnation and action taken on the Betts' incident; on the other hand, angry that Adam endured horrible abuse following on from the ape incident with no support from the AFL.

I suppose the positive thing to take from this is that the AFL did learn from Adam's terrible experience. Still makes me angry though.

Gerard Whateley on 360 made a similar reference when speaking with Mike Sheehan, Nathan Buckley and Chris Scott. He went on to say he thought it was significant how different the reactions of the public and the AFL had changed over the course of 12 months.

Though, as far as I know, we're yet to have an Andrew Bolt column, claiming that the woman in the crowd has been victimized.

Senior Player
    Also Eddie hasn't been named Australian of the year and doesn't make statements with a political viewpoint. In fact, in the terminology of the great unwashed "he knows his place"

Senior Player
    Still not convinced about the AFL. Their early reports on the incident described the banana as an "object".

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Also Eddie hasn't been named Australian of the year and doesn't make statements with a political viewpoint. In fact, in the terminology of the great unwashed "he knows his place"
    Totally agree. This is the real issue here.

The Andrew Ireland 'Open Mike' program on Fox tonight has come at an interesting time in light of the weekends events.

In the small snippet I saw on the weekend he unloads on the 'disgraceful' Goodes treatment and notes that Goodes played 300 odd games without being booed by the opposition supporters any more than the next star player gets booed, but after being named Australian of the Year it became deafening...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    Which brings me to..... the last time I was in Canberra I saw that the plaque commemorating Adam's Australian Of The Year award on the pathway on the edge of Lake Burley Griffin had been vandalised. I was just wondering if there are any Canberra RWO-ers that wouldn't mind having a look next time they are in the neighborhood and letting me know by PM if it has been repaired or not. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    The Andrew Ireland 'Open Mike' program on Fox tonight has come at an interesting time in light of the weekends events.

In the small snippet I saw on the weekend he unloads on the 'disgraceful' Goodes treatment and notes that Goodes played 300 odd games without being booed by the opposition supporters any more than the next star player gets booed, but after being named Australian of the Year it became deafening...

Blog Entries
    The support from his Brothers should have been stronger and louder as well at the time.

THIS is Goodesy's legacy to the game.

The decent amongst us, who will stand up and say NO to the blatant racism, and the AFL actually condemning the actions in a very timely manner.

This didn't happen a year ago.

Onya Goodesy.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast