Thread: Last orders for...

Senior Player

Last orders for...

the Alexandria Hotel?

Last call looms for Alexandria Hotel

For the past 15 years, the pub has been leased by Darren "Harry" McAsey, a former Swans forward who has forgone pokies and hipster redesign in favour of Aussie rules.
    The pub has become the favoured spot for Swans fans to watch the team's away games.
    I've never watched a game there, but have heard good things from those who have. Sounds like another community icon lost to development, sadly.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Sad news, heard about this a few days ago and was going to start a thread. It will be missed, there are other AFL-friendly pubs around but the Alexandria has served Swans fans especially well. Will definitely have a drink and watch a game there before it goes!

Very good pub for watching the footy. Wonder where Craig Davis will turn up next? (Assuming he still does events there for swans vs pies etc).

Alexandria Hotel - Being Knocked Down

Hello All,

I recently found out that the beloved home of the Sydney Swans in Alexandria the Alexandria Hotel is about to be knocked down and turned into a block of flats. Another Aussie Icon full of tradition being replaced by 28 faceless flats.

I'm gutted about this as I have had many a great night in the pub watching the Swans, the landlord is former Swan Darren "Harry" McAsey and I even got my hands on the premiership trophy there in 2012.

So here's my ask, I was hoping to get an army of Swans fans behind the campaign to save the pub.

You can get involved by liking the Facebook page first and then ideally writing a submission about why they shouldn't knock it down.

FB Page: www.facebook.com/savethealexhotel

If you could share it around or just promote it that'd be a massive help for us.

Thanks,

#SaveTheAlexPub

Senior Player
    Blog Entries

On the Rookie List
    i've enjoyed going there for the occasional Swans away game. Damn you developers...

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Merivale has bought the building and plans to re-open it as a pub. Whether it will be as AFL friendly as the old venue remains to be seen but I'm encouraged by some of the comments made by Justin Hemmes in this article.

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    the Alexandria Hotel?

Last call looms for Alexandria Hotel

I've never watched a game there, but have heard good things from those who have. Sounds like another community icon lost to development, sadly.
    It's ok... if they have the sound on.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Goes up to 11
    It's good news.

I hear Hemmes will rebrand it and call it 'Sweet Caroline's'.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    It's good news.

I hear Hemmes will rebrand it and call it 'Sweet Caroline's'.
    If it's going to be anything like the establishment or ivy, he can have it.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by rollorobinson View Post
    So here's my ask, I was hoping to get an army of Swans fans behind the campaign to save the pub.
    [snip]
    If you could share it around or just promote it that'd be a massive help for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Merivale has bought the building and plans to re-open it as a pub. Whether it will be as AFL friendly as the old venue remains to be seen but I'm encouraged by some of the comments made by Justin Hemmes in this article.
    I was chatting to a friend on Saturday who is a heritage consultant with City of Sydney Council. It's an interesting story.

A developer bought the pub to turn it into flats. The council did a heritage assessment and put a conservation order on it based partly on the age of the pub and partly on "social significance", which includes the importance to more than 100 Swans fans who wrote in and said how important the venue was to them as a swans friendly venue.

This sort of thing normally ends up in the land and environment court, but at the first mediation meeting, state rail showed up and said there is a major rail line under the site and they didn't want anyone building a block of apartments on top of it. This was a Friday and council had a call from Hemme that day. By Monday he had bought the pub (presumably at a fairly sharp discount).

Anyway, my friend has personally guaranteed that it will be a condition of any DA that it continues to show swans games in manner and atmosphere which they deserve. [NB. Those were my words, not his . He did however state that the significance of the venue to Swans fans was noted by the council as part of the heritage of the venue]

Let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    This was a Friday and council had a call from Hemme that day. By Monday he had bought the pub (presumably at a fairly sharp discount).
    Are you sure Hemmes called the council and not the other way around?

I can imagine a call from somebody in council may have went along the lines of "Hey mate, you may be able to pick up the Alex for a song, it's just gone south for the developers and they'll be desperate to get it off their hands..."
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09