Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Finals Weeks 1-3 - 27th-28th August

Quote Originally Posted by Footy Barista View Post
    that rule should be reviewed highly disadvantaged to other clubs players being trained up by professional environment all year for finals in the Sydney afl

- - - Updated - - -

worried about North shore?
    Given those players are not on the Swans list where are they supposed to play when not selected by the Swans.

that rule should be reviewed highly disadvantaged to other clubs players being trained up by professional environment all year for finals in the Sydney afl

- - - Updated - - -

worried about North shore?
    We beat you guys the other week with a fair few out. But I dont think UTS have ever beaten us. At least not that I can remember.

Norris, any serious injuries coming out of the Penno v North Shore match ? Didn't look too good. One player taken to Blacktown hospital.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 29th August 2016 at 09:26 PM.

Almost Football Legend
    Haven't heard anything today; but a few of them weren't looking good yesterday.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Almost Football Legend

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Given those players are not on the Swans list where are they supposed to play when not selected by the Swans.

when it comes to finals they shouldn't play at all, how is this any different to a premier division player dropping to divison 1 or 2 having only played a handful of games in that comp, the rule should not be around moving forward

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    We beat you guys the other week with a fair few out. But I dont think UTS have ever beaten us. At least not that I can remember.
    I clearly don't play for north shore

when it comes to finals they shouldn't play at all, how is this any different to a premier division player dropping to divison 1 or 2 having only played a handful of games in that comp, the rule should not be around moving forward
    Theres a reason these players are called "top up" players for the swans reserves, the difference between them are the blokes they line up with is that they are not on a contract to play for the swans reserves every week. They are playing under the top up system to chase a chance of being rookie listed.

The contracted players by the swans are registered to the Sydney Swans, if you've ever looked at clearances on Sydney AFL you see a name like Jack Hiscox or Callum Mills has been cleared by Sydney AFL from their club Sydney Uni or North Shore to the Swans as their club. The top up players on the other hand are effectively on loan by the club they play for. When their services are not required for a weekend as they are regularly rotated they are entitled to represent their club that has supported these players for years.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by mrns View Post
    Theres a reason these players are called "top up" players for the swans reserves, the difference between them are the blokes they line up with is that they are not on a contract to play for the swans reserves every week. They are playing under the top up system to chase a chance of being rookie listed.

The contracted players by the swans are registered to the Sydney Swans, if you've ever looked at clearances on Sydney AFL you see a name like Jack Hiscox or Callum Mills has been cleared by Sydney AFL from their club Sydney Uni or North Shore to the Swans as their club. The top up players on the other hand are effectively on loan by the club they play for. When their services are not required for a weekend as they are regularly rotated they are entitled to represent their club that has supported these players for years.

I understand the concept of "top up" players and when they are not picked they play for their local club, however I don't buy they are on loan from their local clubs when they are play 10 plus game in one competition and a handful in another, it is clearly a disadvantage to those other clubs like uts who have no "top up" players, those games should not count for Sydney afl game.

Callum Mills I believe played 1 game total for North shore so I wont buy that one, my argument is how can Wilson (16 games neafl and 1 syd afl game) Hebron (16 games and 2 syd afl games) let alone the others qualify for finals, this will trickle down to the lower grades giving a ridiculous advantage, you cant do it in any other grade. Im sure other clubs wont budge with it moving forward and that system will be albolished

I clearly don't play for north shore
    My bad, thought I was replying to Norris.

Agree someone who has played 16 neafl and 1 syd afl shouldn't be able to play. At a minimum should be 6 sydney afl games.

Almost Football Legend
    If games playing as top-ups or rep teams weren't counted, do you think there could potentially be issues with clubs being reluctant to let their players be top-ups for the Swans/Giants or playing for the Rams etc?
    I don't know the answer to that question, but the rule as it currently stands presumably exists for a reason.

If a club sacrifices their player as a toppie, and battles through part of the season without him, then I don't think it's unreasonable for him to come back and play come finals time.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    My bad, thought I was replying to Norris.

Agree someone who has played 16 neafl and 1 syd afl shouldn't be able to play. At a minimum should be 6 sydney afl games.
    A large majority of all Leagues show the following in their bylaws.

"Any player who has played in a total of 50% or more of home and away matches of a higher grade or grades shall not be eligible to play final matches in a lower grade unless the higher and lower grades are played on the same day ( as defined by the League)."

It seems to me to be very simple and very fair.

In the case of the top up players on a bye , there is already a by law covering this situation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast