Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Divisionalisation and suggested changes

2017 Divisionalisation and suggested changes

IMO the divisionalisation has been a great success for Sydney AFL, particularly to grow new Clubs and growth teams within existing clubs.
    BUT after nearly a decade I think it needs a major shake-up to ensure each division has close, competative games each week. The simplistic approach of 1 up 1 down needs a radical review.

Attached are my thoughts of what the competition should look like in 2017
    Prems
    No change
    9 teams

Division 1
    Relegate - East Coast
    Promote - Camden / Penrith / North Shore (from Div 2)
    12 team competition

Division 2
    Relegate - Nil
    Promote - Pennant Hills / Wollondilly / Nor West (from Div 3)
    10 team competition

Division 3
    Relegate - East Coast
    Promote - Camden / North Shore / Mac Uni / Syd uni / UTS / St George / UNSW / Manly (from Div 4)
    12 team competition

Division 4
    Relegate - Southern Power / Randwick
    Promote - Penannt Hills / UNSW / / UTS / Nor West / Syd Uni / Mac uni (from Div 5)
    8 team competition

Division 5
    Southern Power / Randwick / Balmain / Campbelltown / Penrith / Camden / Holroyd / South West
    8 teams

What you think?

Not sure of the basis for your recommendations but there should be some science behind it.
    I'd start by looking at games won/lost along with percentage (below 60%) for an initial list of promotions and delegations. Then also consider any forfeits, club administration, and club finances as further criteria. From that produce a list of teams to be promoted or relegated, and if a club objects they will need to provide concrete evidence relating to next seasons performance of why they should not be relegated or promoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost Football Legend
    I don't know if AFL Sydney still does Club of the Year points like they used to; but possibly that could be used as a yardstick for promotion/relegation rather than simple ladder positions.

But it'll all be up in the air till well into the pre-season when clubs assess their numbers and work out how many teams they can put on the park. There may well be clubs wanting to field additional teams next year.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Why change anything if it's not broken?

Premier Division seems fine, although the top 3 or 4 has hardly changed for years ... the clubs that are consistently out of the 5 need to open their minds and embrace what the successful clubs are doing.

Of the other divisions that I have followed;

Div 1 has been close all year, 6 teams always in contention, and the finals will be a toss of a coin. One team struggled.

Div 4 could not possibly have been more enthralling - 6 teams jousting for a spot, with any one of them a chance of missing out till the final round - GF 1st v 5th is anyones. Again, just the one team winless.

u/19's - their fortunes fluctuate every year or so anyway, but no coincidence that the clubs who engage strongly with their juniors are rarely far from the top.

Don't see much need for changing the standard promotion and relegation - seems to be working as well as it can.

Yes Norris, be interested in the Club Championship result - Dragons with 4 of 5 teams in top 3 and Div 4 finishing with 44 points had a huge year, but so too did UTS, NS and Penno all recording high finishes across many teams - well done to all!

Interesting to note, that whilst the East Coast Eagles NEAFL side were once again minor premiers, their Div 1, Div 3 and u/19's all placed last, with a combined 3 wins between them ... Ouch! ... hmmm, I guess the pay scale in the Hills area falls away if you don't play prems ...

Wouldn't it be great if we could include Prems in the promotion/relegation moves ? Maybe before too long.

But, having watched the Div 1 semi at Blacktown, it's clear that there's quite a gap between Prems and Div 1 for the moment.
    And some work to be done on selecting the right people for jobs............

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if we could include Prems in the promotion/relegation moves ? Maybe before too long.

But, having watched the Div 1 semi at Blacktown, it's clear that there's quite a gap between Prems and Div 1 for the moment.
    I thought to myself out there on Sunday that Blacktown or the magic whatever they are called now surely are the number 1 spot for premier division. I remember playing them in D2 and they were a strong side and to see them compete in Div 1 finals is a testament to their squad. Though on reflecting today I agree, for them to become competitive enough to make premier division they would need to attract some recruits to lift their standard.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    I dunno... I've seen a few players running round in prems who wouldn't get a go in our div 1 side.

I guess blacktown are next in line, but thats a bit harsh to mac uni who have been good in div 1 for a while.

I don't see the need for mass changes.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Yes Norris, be interested in the Club Championship result - Dragons with 4 of 5 teams in top 3 and Div 4 finishing with 44 points had a huge year, but so too did UTS, NS and Penno all recording high finishes across many teams - well done to all!
    Camden 1sts and seconds both were minor premiers and 19s 7th. How minor premierships in div 2 and div 4 is worth more than 2nd in prems and 3rd in div 1 and 2nd in 19s is beyond me though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    I dunno... I've seen a few players running round in prems who wouldn't get a go in our div 1 side.

I guess blacktown are next in line, but thats a bit harsh to mac uni who have been good in div 1 for a while.

Mate ur having a lend of us arnt you. If camden were in div 1 they would towel up the comp. Syd uni went up after 2 years of back to back in div 2 and won with the weakest of the three teams over those years.

lol if you say so. we will see next year unless they choke again.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post

Mac Uni have no 19's so would be tough to promote and while Blacktown's first grade side has performed well and they have 19's in the div 2 GF a second grade team that cant make div 4 finals doesn't look good for your depth.

Will Wests be able to stay in Prems?

Almost Football Legend
    I'm sure the AFL would love to promote a team to Prems, have a 10-team comp and get rid of the bye; there's no club that's anywhere near being worthy of promotion at the moment.

The precedent we've seen with UTS & Manly is that winning Div 1 twice in a row shows a club is competitive and ready to go up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast