Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Rebuild

I get the other three, but I still think letting Harvey go is a mistake.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

From afl.com.au today

NORTH Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw will be disappointed if Daniel Wells leaves the club, saying he hopes the unrestricted free agent takes into account how "unbelievably well remunerated" he was through his past injury woes.

Not sure how that club can request loyalty from it's veteran after recent weeks ... sure he was well paid for not much game time, but that's the risk the Roos took when they inked his most recent contract

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    From afl.com.au today

NORTH Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw will be disappointed if Daniel Wells leaves the club, saying he hopes the unrestricted free agent takes into account how "unbelievably well remunerated" he was through his past injury woes.

Not sure how that club can request loyalty from it's veteran after recent weeks ... sure he was well paid for not much game time, but that's the risk the Roos took when they inked his most recent contract
    He's a silly boy is young James....

Thinking about the North re-build I think they have no choice but to follow the St Kilda model for a rebuild that will have them back in the 8 and challenging for a til within 5 years which I think will become the template going forward.

Step 1 - Draft out or unload any players over the age of 27 who has any draft currency. Similarly de-list or give away veterans (with some exceptions e.g Reiwoldt) that are on huge money
    Step 2 - Go deep to the draft for three years at the same time frontloading required players to long term deals thus building a huge free agency war chest
    Step 3 - In years 4 and 5 attack free agency along with your drafting.

At the moment Norf have pick 1 and 29 inside the top 60 draft picks and that is just inadequate to start a re-build.

The blokes that are there long term and who are integral to their next flag tilt are IMO the following: Zeibell (25 years old at end of 2016), Swallow (29 - an exception to the rule); Cunnington (25), Tarrant (27) Wood (23) Majak (25) and Ben Brown(24) and a few other I've missed probably

Lindsay Thomas has re-signed as has Waite. The four oldies are gone (Burrito, Petire, Del Santo and Harvey), Wells is looking elsewhere and Nahas and Ray have also left.

So they probably need seven in and replacing old guy with more old guys just doesn't make sense. So they have to generate some trade currency this season to get at least six picks in the top 30. I'd keep their first rounder for next year but I'd look at trading in an extra second rounder from 2017 and I'd find another fringe player to get another pick in the late 30s.

But, ultimately the only player with any real value on their list who should be tradeable is Todd Goldstein. GWS would readily trade Rory Lobb to Freo or WCE if it meant they could get their hands on Goldstein to partner Mummy. And GWS should be able to offer up Norf an early first rounder and a late pick in the 20s for Goldstein.

So, Norf now get picks (say) 7,11,25,29,30 and 38. Take their top 5 picks for the next couple of years and start challenging.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12